1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a diesel or a V10?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Man I knew I did it all wrong!! I should have stayed in my first home because it had 1 bathroom rather than 2. Save money on water. I also should not have doubled the square footage, costs more to heat and cool. Should've kept my old tv instead of the 55" HDTV as it saves in electricity. I also shouldn't have purchased more land, it's just going to cost me more to maintain. I knew I should've stayed in that small cramped home, it would've saved me money.

C'mon it's a truck. Get what you want and what you think is best. If we were really out to save money we wouldn't own a Super Duty, boats, large 5th wheel trailers. We would be hermits living in a basement apartment living on Mac n Cheese.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
They have done "pull offs" against Diesels and the Big gasser's. The Gasser's did excellent, and if you are not towing often, why worry about the extra maintenance, and more costly repair bill's!

I own a diesel, and it cost's $100 every time it needs oil, 40 for Racor fuel filters every other oil change.
Fuel mileage on a 3/4ton or 1ton are moot to me.

( Youtube Edmentons. I think the did the comparisons. They used a 6.4 psd against the V10, and a 6.6 Duramax, against the 6.0 Gas v8)
Yeah, I am still thinking it over. My 5.4 should have no problem pulling the boat I have. Problem is Ford can not tell my what is wrong with it. It is not showing any codes. So tomorrow, I am taking my boat to Ford, and having the guy try to get it to throw a code with it under load and his computer hooked up to it.

It would barely pull a hill today. Pisses you off when dump truck is passing you going up a hill.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
How high are you revving it, and what gears are behind that 5.4? Spin the thing up, unless you're turning at least 4k on the tac you aren't working it. Redline is somewhere north of 5k, don't get scared.

Your truck might very well have an engine problem if it's really nutless (or a trans problem, you missed out on the TrqShift by a year), I'm just saying that in general you have to spool up the modular engines to get all the oomph out of them.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
That is the problem. When I put my foot in it. It bogs down. I am hoping it will throw some codes tomorrow with the boat hooked up to it. If it doesn't I know it is possessed.

End of thread Hi-jack. LoL

Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Chrsnl05
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Wrong. In the 25 years I've been driving diesels in California, only last 5 years are when diesel occasionally is the most expensive fuel at truck stops. Other 20 years it was always the cheapest.
Diesel is the cheapest fuel to manufacture and only politics make the price difference.
I hope my prediction of $10 is wrong too, but being realistic guy, I am not going to bet on that hope.
I live in NY and the that 10 yrs give or take diesel has been the most expensive. I remember in the late 90s early 2000s diesel being cheaper but in resent history it as been more then premium gas (93 octane). I completly agree that it should be cheaper but the reality (atleast here in ny) is that it has not been for quite some time. It is usually about 10 cents more then premium or 35 cents more then regular. I thought the price scale was uniform accross the country but I see now that its not.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Originally Posted by shaneinga
That is the problem. When I put my foot in it. It bogs down.
Ahh, well yeah that's a real problem then... the engine should spool like a raped aped even if it only pulls like an elementary school tug of war team once it's up there

Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
LoL. Nice. I hear you, I have towed other things with this truck before. And it had no problem. Hallmark Trailer with 3 motorcycles in it. No problem. Of course it was actually running good at that time too.

Oh well, I might be coming home with an 02 7.3 Powerstroke tomorrow.

I have always wanted one, and the price is right for the truck I am looking at. I could drive it for a couple years and sell it for about what I am buying it for now.

If it has been maintained. That is always the Million Dollar question.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Yeah, and in your case going backwards from an 04 doesn't cross a body style change so you aren't taking any powertrain hits like the OP of this thread would.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since we are are comparing miles driven for gas vs diesel, my buddy just traded in his 99 V10 with 419,xxx miles on for an 06 with e 6.0. There were never any major repairs to the V10 other then 3 spark plug fixes at about $250 each. He loves the PSD as did I really enjoy the 3 I have owned. Only time will tell if the 06 can prove to be as reliable or long lasting. Most of his miles were driving between MN and WY with a whole bunch of construction work in between.

Also I suppose if I towed anything heavier then my 42'- 14,000 pound goose neck I might consider going back to a PSD but it wouldn't be the 6.4 or the 6.7, I would buy a 05-07 and build the 6.0 with the proven fixes that make them last.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by Chrsnl05
I dont think this was covered and if it was i apologize. but if your truck is stock and you are considering keeping it the very first thing i would do is get a tuner for it. I was in the same boat when i wanted to step up to a 3/4 ton truck. v10 vs Diesel. I did some more research and i couldnt justify the cost of owning and maintaining a diesel. but i was set against a 5.4. I found a 09 with the 5.4 or and almost didnt buy it. a few months past and i was still second guessing if i made a bad choice. I only tow with this truck with the rare exception. I bought a tuner from Mike at 5star tuning and its a different truck. before towing my trailer (7x14 enclosed about 4k not heavy but alot of wind drag) on the expressway it would want to turn 3k to hold 70 on the flat now with the 89 octane or better yet 93 tune i can set the cruse at and it never moves from overdrive on the flat. with the 93 tune it will pull hills at around 3k with no running start and maintain speed. stock i would have to hit the hill at 70 to stay above 50 to keep it out of 3rd gear and 4k rpm. I also tow a 27 ft rv weighting about 9k lbs with water tanks full. I have not towed the rv yet with the tuner. Ford really holds these trucks back with the factory tune and i could not believe the differences it made. 87 tune make a substantial improvement without more expensive gas too but i have been experimenting with all the tunes. by the way i have 4:10 gears and a crew cab that weighs around 7200lbs empty. I have weighted it.
Do you think a tune would be worth it for my manual tranny truck?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
So now we have about 90,000 replies comparing diesel truck to gasoline trucks and about 20 of them have some kind of math calculation proving the point. For some reason each time the calculation pops up, gasoline lovers get quiet and never rebut with math calculation.
The diesel option for my truck was $3900 BTW.
You want better justification for $7k option today, compare fuel at $10 we are going to have after the elections.
I just put a brand new 5.4 in my truck. If I would have done the work my self it would have cost me $2300. So, I could put 3 new gas motors in my truck for the same amount as a diesel (about $8,000 for the new diesel option).
Me, I paid a motor exchange to do the work for $3,600. Didn't even have to touch my wrenches. So I could have someone put 2 new motors in for the price of 1 diesel. Don't you see, its all a wash? Even with the fuel. If you pull heavy every day or week, get a diesel. If you pull once a month and don't mind pulling a little slower don't need a diesel.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Man I knew I did it all wrong!! I should have stayed in my first home because it had 1 bathroom rather than 2. Save money on water. I also should not have doubled the square footage, costs more to heat and cool. Should've kept my old tv instead of the 55" HDTV as it saves in electricity. I also shouldn't have purchased more land, it's just going to cost me more to maintain. I knew I should've stayed in that small cramped home, it would've saved me money.

C'mon it's a truck. Get what you want and what you think is best. If we were really out to save money we wouldn't own a Super Duty, boats, large 5th wheel trailers. We would be hermits living in a basement apartment living on Mac n Cheese.
I'm glad you got what u want. No prob. there. I also got what I want. If I would have got a new Diesel, then I wouldn't be bale to afford another car. I have a little sporty car for going fast. Will smoke any most chipped diesels in it. It's a 3k# car tho. That's just it! If I want to go fast I jump in the turbo GTI. I do see your point though, everyone is different. Appreciate everyone's imput

Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
I just put a brand new 5.4 in my truck. If I would have done the work my self it would have cost me $2300. So, I could put 3 new gas motors in my truck for the same amount as a diesel (about $8,000 for the new diesel option).
Me, I paid a motor exchange to do the work for $3,600. Didn't even have to touch my wrenches. So I could have someone put 2 new motors in for the price of 1 diesel. Don't you see, its all a wash? Even with the fuel. If you pull heavy every day or week, get a diesel. If you pull once a month and don't mind pulling a little slower don't need a diesel.

Where is the calculation showing final cost after you sell the truck with 3rd or 5th engine?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chrsnl05
I live in NY and the that 10 yrs give or take diesel has been the most expensive. I remember in the late 90s early 2000s diesel being cheaper but in resent history it as been more then premium gas (93 octane). I completly agree that it should be cheaper but the reality (atleast here in ny) is that it has not been for quite some time. It is usually about 10 cents more then premium or 35 cents more then regular. I thought the price scale was uniform accross the country but I see now that its not.
It also depends what you want to see. In San Francisco they are stations that charge over $5 for any fuel as of today and since the City doesn't have truck stops -diesel is always pretty expensive downtown. That doesn't mean that driving 15 miles on other side of the bay will not get it like 40 cents cheaper.
Good part that with 400 range on truck, or 600 miles on diesel sedan you have the flexibility to fill up where you choose, not where the reserve light blinks.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 AM
FordGuy85
Elder User

Where is the calculation showing final cost after you sell the truck with 3rd or 5th engine?
Dont know, have not sold it yet! Will get what I have in it. Not the point. No one wants to buy a wore out 7.3 international OR a wore out Ford triton truck. Same overall truck different motor. What's your point? U saying the OP should buy a old diesel so he can try to resale it later for more value? Truth is diesels cost more to buy and Yes resale is more. So like I say wash! I'm no mathelete. Just what I think is common sence. This next Triton should last well over another 300k so I'm driving 6k a year now. Wonder how long ill be driving it. Those blahs are descriptive. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

Quick Reply: Should I buy a diesel or a V10?