Sponsored by: DP Tuner

She's running rough again .. but it's rather specific - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She's running rough again .. but it's rather specific - need help

Some of y'all will remember about a month ago or so it was running SO rough I had to have it towed home. The culprit was the UVCH. So I replaced both harnesses, did the 50 cent mod, also replaced glow plugs and re-torqued everything under the valve covers while I was at it.

At the same time, I'd originally thought it was the ICP sensor, so I'd replaced that too.

Approximately 300 miles ago I put in a T-500 pump (with an IPR rebuild), and the RiffRaff FRx fuel return.

Okay that's the history - Last night on my way home when I got home, as I pulled up to the house it started idling rough and through the SES light. Shut it down and restarted and it was fine. The IPR nut was tight but I snugged it up a tad more.

Drove to work yesterday without issue but today when coming home, it did it 3 times. EACH time it's as I decelerate, almost to a stop, then the rough idle kicks in with the light. Two times the light went away and the rough idle went away. One time it stayed rough and I was able to pull the ICP plug and the truck died.

So that's where I am - I dont THINK it's the UVCH but I could be wrong.

**** UPDATE **** This will be posted at the end of the thread as well but maybe will help someone diagnose. After countless code reads and checks I did pull the wiring harness that goes across the driver's side VC. Sure enough, on the underside, in the middle of the pack, one of the dark blue 18ga wires had chaffed through. The exposed wire portion was about 1.5mm wide and 4mm long - a TINY spot but that was all it took to contact metal.

I wrapped it thoroughly and buttoned it all up. Since then I've driven about 100 miles and simulated the slowing / turning that was causing it and it has NOT acted up. The chaffed wire made since because it was only happening under certain circumstances and movement was required.

THANK YOU ALL !!!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to pull the codes you have stored and go from there. Let me know if I can help.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 AM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
I'll run by a buddy's shop today and get those ..

Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
carbonfootprint
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed

i have the same symptoms and have a thread going on about it. i will be doing the 50 cent mod and harness hopefully this week. the codes i pulled are pointing to a communication fault.....might be a PCM, but i dont know yet....i might have a clogged or dirty injector...need to tear into it

i pulled codes heres a link to it, originally i thought it was a fuel pump.....its not

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fuel-pump.html

good luck

Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TNT in Round Rock
... So I replaced both harnesses, did the 50 cent mod, ..
How were you able to do the 50 cent mod with new harnesses? I didn't think the 50 cent mod was possible when using new parts because of the little tabs molded into the plastic under the retaining clip?

Did you also replace both valve cover gaskets when you replaced the injector harnesses?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Okay buddy pulled some codes .. got a couple of normal ones with my wastegate and air heater off .. but got :

P1280 - ICP circuit out of range. Could that be from it having problems, or when I pulled the connector this morning trying to trouble shoot ??
P1316 - IDM codes detected..

He has a Snap-On SOLUS computer, so he cleared my codes and went into the other module. He ran a test and got a :
P0605 : ICM Internal Control Mod ROM Error.

From what he looked up it said this could be a faulty PCM ??

What do y'all think ?????

Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Probably not the PCM. 0603 and 0605 are pretty common, especially with a chip. 1280 likely came from you unplugging the ICP sensor (that's the code that get's thrown when you unplug it).

For the 1316, did he buzz test the truck to see if he could get any additional IDM codes out of it? If not and he cleared it, you'll have to wait for it to act up again. Be sure to also check the main engine wiring harness that comes up and over the driver side valve cover. Below or behind the 42 pin connector have been known to have chaffed wires.

Rebuilding an IPR doesn't always work. Know of anyone with a spare you might try to swap in to test? You might also want to check fuel pressure. There's been a few of us lately with worn fuel bowl parts that make fuel pressure spike way too high. I've had some fuel pump issues because of it that made the truck act up before the pump died a couple of weeks later.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Okay buddy pulled some codes .. got a couple of normal ones with my wastegate and air heater off .. but got :

P1280 - ICP circuit out of range. Could that be from it having problems, or when I pulled the connector this morning trying to trouble shoot ??
P1316 - IDM codes detected..

He has a Snap-On SOLUS computer, so he cleared my codes and went into the other module. He ran a test and got a :
P0605 : ICM Internal Control Mod ROM Error.

From what he looked up it said this could be a faulty PCM ??

What do y'all think ?????
What Chris said, should have ran KOEO or BUZZ test before clearing, to find out what was causing the P1316.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
For the 1316, did he buzz test the truck to see if he could get any additional IDM codes out of it? If not and he cleared it, you'll have to wait for it to act up again. Be sure to also check the main engine wiring harness that comes up and over the driver side valve cover. Below or behind the 42 pin connector have been known to have chaffed wires.
no he said he did a key on engine off test ?? that's what got the PCM code that he did .. but I know he didn't do a buzz test. Drove to dinner tonight and it acted up once on the way there and once coming home. Can the SOLUS scanner / computer he has do a buzz test ???

I'll look at the harness at those wires.

Originally Posted by F350-6
Rebuilding an IPR doesn't always work. Know of anyone with a spare you might try to swap in to test? You might also want to check fuel pressure. There's been a few of us lately with worn fuel bowl parts that make fuel pressure spike way too high. I've had some fuel pump issues because of it that made the truck act up before the pump died a couple of weeks later.
I don't have access to a spare IPR. However when I did the FRx and HPOP, I took out, tore down and completely rebuilt my fuel bowl with all new orings.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Can the SOLUS scanner / computer he has do a buzz test ???
I think so.

I don't have access to a spare IPR. However when I did the FRx and HPOP, I took out, tore down and completely rebuilt my fuel bowl with all new orings.
Including the poppet seat and the o-ring that goes on the piece in the top left corner of this picture? (that's the part that was loose on mine and started my whole fuel pressure problem)

Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
no, I got the set up from RiffRaff got the fuel bowl oring kit, as well as the IPR kit - thought that's all I needed.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
no he said he did a key on engine off test ?? that's what got the PCM code that he did .. but I know he didn't do a buzz test. Drove to dinner tonight and it acted up once on the way there and once coming home. Can the SOLUS scanner / computer he has do a buzz test ???

I'll look at the harness at those wires.

Yes, at the "Main Menu" where the available options are "Function Tests" "Live Data" etc. He needs to go to function tests, that's where Buzz and contribution, etc will be. When he connects it will try to pull memory codes, do not clear those, and it should show what the P1316 is being caused by when either a KOEO or BUZZ test is performed.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Okay update as of today. It's acted up a few more times, always sets a SES light, and it ALWAYS does it as I'm slowing down to make a turn. THAT'S what tells me something physical / moving HAS to be involved.

Went back to my buddy's shop and he ran the BUZZ test. All injectors buzzed but it did throw :

P0282 - Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Low.

He could not retrieve any more codes from the IDM, but he did look up some ALLDATA info for me and most things related to some kind of short.

I got home and pulled the driver's side wiring harness off. I found one dark blue wire that had chaffed through enough to be showing copper wire. I sealed it all and wrapped it all up heavy to prevent chaffing again, and buttoned her all back up.

So now, I have 2 things to do. (a) Drive and see if it does this again and (b) get to someone who has a Ford computer that can pull those IDM codes

Guess I'll have to see a stealership for that

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Okay update as of today. It's acted up a few more times, always sets a SES light, and it ALWAYS does it as I'm slowing down to make a turn. THAT'S what tells me something physical / moving HAS to be involved.

Went back to my buddy's shop and he ran the BUZZ test. All injectors buzzed but it did throw :

P0282 - Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Low.

He could not retrieve any more codes from the IDM, but he did look up some ALLDATA info for me and most things related to some kind of short.

I got home and pulled the driver's side wiring harness off. I found one dark blue wire that had chaffed through enough to be showing copper wire. I sealed it all and wrapped it all up heavy to prevent chaffing again, and buttoned her all back up.

So now, I have 2 things to do. (a) Drive and see if it does this again and (b) get to someone who has a Ford computer that can pull those IDM codes

Guess I'll have to see a stealership for that
The 0282 is the IDM code that was stored and was retrieved form the IDM.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Okay that makes sense .. now could that chaffed wire have grounded on the valve cover and caused the #8 injector circuit problem ??

Quick Reply: She's running rough again .. but it's rather specific - need help