General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old diesel blocks VS new diesel blocks with multiple injection events.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We can't talk politics here, but labeling Mercedes Sprinter as Dodge Sprinter, or Mazda as Ford in not making good predictions for future.
Same with wrapping Mercedes E class chassis in Chrysler body, or Opel into Cadillac body.
Now this thread is already following footsteps of the famous one about out-pulling each other, but do you really believe that 250 hp or 350 hp Ford pulling 8000 lb trailer will be faster on 1 mile than 500 hp Audi pulling the same trailer?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
And before anyone says it I know that I can be the worst offender here. But steer this one back on topic?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001

Awesome post though, thanks for the info!
Hey Tom! I just wanted to get the info out there. I don't believe the Americans or Asians have been technology leaders in cars. I personally think a lot of innovation / ideas came out of Europe. However....it takes Americans and Asians to to make their "ideas" reliable enough to own .

I also needed a break from arranging the house. Movers are here tomorrow and of course, I'm not ready for them.

Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Obviously being naturalized US citizen I do have different perspective how this country evolve, but when the US of A changed from the country who let the technical minds to work here and make technical revolution to a country of copycats?
In the diesel world....we were a bit behind due to the market share of diesels in Europe. We Americans are still the technology leaders and definitely the best at implementing technology, but when it comes to diesels, I think we were playing catch up. Now that our emissions regulations on diesels are tougher than Europe, you'll see America become the leader (I think....).

Originally Posted by parkland
Thats some pretty bold commenting !!!

Do you have any idea how many products are MFG'd in china that might be shady in the patent infringement department ? lol

Anyways those motors in those little cabover trucks are not high power units.

A super duty could drag race them with trailers, loaded, and definately win.

Ugh...China. I hope we can one day unthrone them and bring the technical manufacturing back to the USA. I don't want to make pencils and dyrwall in America...but sheesh...I think its pretty sad the Mustang has a Chinese tranny in. Our quality is second to none in our plants and I'm tired of subpar products coming from across the sea. I don't mind a good product or a better product...but I don't think we get that with China.

As for the Hino / Isuzu diesels...the small trucks are lower power trucks, but they GCWR is often higher than these F-350s. My point was they are quality engines and Hino does make some 9 liter diesels for sale here in the USA.

With all of that, I'm sure glad Ford is building their diesel and my truck doesn't have a Navistar diesel. Its amazing how few problems we are seeing in this Ford diesel versus all of the Navistar variants (initial 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4). I hope we continue to see positive reliability moves with Ford.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum;11624248[B
]Our quality is second to none in our plants and I'm tired of subpar products coming from across the sea.[/B] I don't mind a good product or a better product...but I don't think we get that with China.

With all of that, I'm sure glad Ford is building their diesel and my truck doesn't have a Navistar diesel. Its amazing how few problems we are seeing in this Ford diesel versus all of the Navistar variants (initial 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4). I hope we continue to see positive reliability moves with Ford.
Just something interesting that I wanted to point out. My Navistar-made 6.4L engine was made in Alabama, and my 6.7L was made in Mexico. Of course I'm willing to bet design had more to do with the reliability difference than place of manufacture.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I have strong experience that assembly quality can play huge role how the final product performs.
My early 99 7.3 liter should be weaker than following 7.3, yet at almost 300,000 miles the engine has no noticeable blowby (I can put napkin on oil hole) and just 2 days ago I drove it loaded to 18,000 lb total and no need to down-shift from high gear on our 6% grades.
Evidently my engine was assembled on Tuesday, or Wednesday no matter where the plant is.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you really believe that 250 hp or 350 hp Ford pulling 8000 lb trailer will be faster on 1 mile than 500 hp Audi pulling the same trailer?
no i think it will be faster than the 200 hp hino,

Old 03-25-2012, 09:10 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
As for the Hino / Isuzu diesels...the small trucks are lower power trucks, but they GCWR is often higher than these F-350s. My point was they are quality engines and Hino does make some 9 liter diesels for sale here in the USA.

Yes but they don't use engines that are 3 liters putting out 400 hp.
My point is that for an engine to last, it has to be matched to the job it is doing. Small displacement engines are fine, like the hino, but notice it doesn't come close to one of the previous mentioned high power diesel cars.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
This is true. That's why the OEMs derate engines that go into medium / heavy duty applications.

If we took a VW 2.0 TDI and ran it 80% load 80% of the time...there's no way it would last 500k.

I too have wondered about the longevity of these new diesels we have in our trucks. We make all of this extra power.....that has to take its toll on the engine....the question is where?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
This is true. That's why the OEMs derate engines that go into medium / heavy duty applications.

If we took a VW 2.0 TDI and ran it 80% load 80% of the time...there's no way it would last 500k.

I too have wondered about the longevity of these new diesels we have in our trucks. We make all of this extra power.....that has to take its toll on the engine....the question is where?
You obviously get it.

What part of the engine gets stressed from extra power? All of it, to an extent. Remember that it still takes the same power to roll down the highway wether you're running a 170 hp idi engine or a 400 hp 6.7 engine.

The EGR system causes exhaust to be very sooty, so the oil will always be black.

Regens and retarded timing will get fuel into the oil.

Everything will wear out quicker.

Plus the fuel system is intolerant of crap fuel.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Fellas, this one is all over the map with Ford, Navistar, VW, Mercedes, and other diesel engine discussion. I'm moving it to the General Diesel Discussion forum.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I am getting a feeling that you guys are here are for brands bashing and don't know much about engines.
The highest mileage diesel Volkswagen in America was located in Blue Rock, Ohio. Owned by Syl Schmid, the 1986 Jetta Turbo Diesel has 562,000 miles showing on the odometer. Schmid presented fuel and mileage records that show the Jetta frequently delivered over 50 mpg.
Oldest and Highest Mileage VW Diesels Prove Longevity | GreenCar.com

Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I am getting a feeling that you guys are here are for brands bashing and don't know much about engines.

Oldest and Highest Mileage VW Diesels Prove Longevity | GreenCar.com
I'm not a severe brand basher, but I don't know what you are trying to exactly prove?

Would that same engine get the same lifespan if it was installed into a f150 truck?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I'm not a severe brand basher, but I don't know what you are trying to exactly prove?

Would that same engine get the same lifespan if it was installed into a f150 truck?
Could be. My F450 empty is about double the weight of F150 and I use it for hauling heavy stuff sometimes exceeding 30,000lb. Yet the engine closing on 300,000 miles shows no sign of aging, or wearing out. Doesn't skip a bit, no blowby and I fly up 6% grades on overdrive with 8000 lb of gravel on the bed. Meaning working about 3 times harder than on average pickup, this engine should last for a million.
So why wouldn't VW engine last in 4000 lb pickup?
I believe those engines work in 4000 lb Touareg just fine. Just not in this country.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Could be. My F450 empty is about double the weight of F150 and I use it for hauling heavy stuff sometimes exceeding 30,000lb. Yet the engine closing on 300,000 miles shows no sign of aging, or wearing out. Doesn't skip a bit, no blowby and I fly up 6% grades on overdrive with 8000 lb of gravel on the bed. Meaning working about 3 times harder than on average pickup, this engine should last for a million.
So why wouldn't VW engine last in 4000 lb pickup?
I believe those engines work in 4000 lb Touareg just fine.
Well, a couple things...

You're super duty is lasting so well because that's pretty much what it's made for. It is certainly not working 3 times as hard as other f450 super duty's.

And I think an f150 is a little heavier than 4000 lb's, but also is a bigger physical size than a toureg. The f150 can also tow a sizable trailer. A 3.0 l turbodiesel might actually work nice in an f150, but not for constant towing like the SD is made for.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Well, a couple things...

You're super duty is lasting so well because that's pretty much what it's made for. It is certainly not working 3 times as hard as other f450 super duty's.

And I think an f150 is a little heavier than 4000 lb's, but also is a bigger physical size than a toureg. The f150 can also tow a sizable trailer. A 3.0 l turbodiesel might actually work nice in an f150, but not for constant towing like the SD is made for.
And again you are talking about something you don't know.
The 3l engines in Mercedes wagons are prime tow vehicles in Europe, pulling 5000lb caravans all over the Alps.

Quick Reply: Old diesel blocks VS new diesel blocks with multiple injection events.