1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Edelbrock 500cfm, Offenhauser, Headers, but no power gain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 AM
newrider3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what kind of elevation you live at, but up here between 4,500 and 5,500 ft, I had to lean my Edelbrock 500 down several steps (jet and rod swap).

You might want to check stuff like compression and blowby on your motor, when I had originally swapped to 4bbl and split exhaust I felt little gain, but it was more a case of a tired motor leaking down too much past the rings. Fresh rebuild and it's a totally different animal.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compression on all cylinders is perfect.No blow by. The head has just been overhauled.
Where I live is only 450 meters over sea level. Thanx, Scotty

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm still thinking you don't have the spark advance worked out properly. If it isn't advancing when you rev the engine you will have very poor power. Check the initial lead as well as the mechanical advance and ensure that it advances as the R's go up.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Hello Gary,

I found out the ignition is DURASPARK II
How does the heatplate for the 4.9 look like ?? Is it aftermarket available ?
Is it absolutely necessary ??
I tried real hard to attach pictures of my ignition and the way the carb etc. was mounted but I couldn`t find out how
Can you pleeeease give me a clue how to post pics ??
Today I`ve changed the setting (3 holes)of the accelerator pump to more fuel (above hole) and acceleration is better now but not really...
Does that give you a clue what might be wrong ?
Will setup the ignition the next days and see what`s goin on.
Thanx much,

Scott

Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Hi 1983F1503004x4,
thanks for your help. The ignition is DURASPARK II
The primaries of the carb are facing the valve cover

Greets, Scott

Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Scott - Your pictures have to be hosted somewhere that is on the internet, and not your computer. One option is to put them on FTE: Go to User Control Panel; go to Albums; create an album; upload a picture to that album; bring that picture up; copy its URL.

Then, you have to be in the Advanced Editor, which gives lots of options. One of those is a little postcard-looking yellow icon. Put your cursor where you want the picture; click on the postcard; and then paste the URL of the picture into that pop-up - use Control V to paste.

As for the engine, if giving it more accelerator pump shot then you must be very lean. I would check on the six-banger forum to see how they are jetting their E'brock carbs.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Allright. Thanks man !!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by sunnybottomboys.de
Allright. Thanks man !!
No prob. By the way, are you a native there? Have been to Munich, Salsburg, Berchtesgaden (several times), Konigssee, Obersalzburg, Kehlsteinhaus, etc. But not Regensburg. Spending 2 weeks at a villa in Tuscany this Fall and thinking of spending another week in Germany - possibly on a river cruise. Got any recommendations?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,788 Likes on 1,443 Posts
Hello
german Ford Truck addict needs your help... SOS !!!
I had my 1982 F150,4.9 modified with the Offenhauser Dual port, Headers and a 500 Edelbrock Performer. The result is a pain in the ***... no power gain at all..
With the old 1 bbl carb it had even more power. How in the world can that be ??
My friend of the repairstation checked everything incl. ignition, carb setup,
etc.,etc. it`s ok. But when I`m driving it now it feels like 1000 lbs or more has been loaded to it... I`m very stumped Is it possible the 500 Edelbrock is to big for the 4.9 ? Or does it need another jetting ? Who has experience with a 500 Edelbrock on a 4.9 machine ? I`m very thankful for any help. Prost !
What do you mean by "less power". Do you mean you have less throttle response at low rpms? If so, that is a given. Everything you have done to this engine is to increase air flow. This means you are now going to have to rev it way up to get anything out of it. Speaking of which, you haven't changed the cam or ported the head to also increase airflow.

This is a low revving long stroke engine, that made power down low for pulling. It's not going to be a "willing" engine that loves rpms. That being said, you should notice some difference, but it's all going to be on the top end. If you happen to have one of the trucks that Ford setup as a "gas miser"(inline 6, 3.00 or lower gears and or a overdrive tranny) you will never realize your airflow improvements until about 100mph. If your truck is set up with these gears, you may need a gear change.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
kg85f150
New User
is the distributor plugged into the correct vacuum port.

is it plugged into the ported vacuum port at the throttle plate or is it plugged into the intake manifold?

ported vacuum is only there as the throttle plates open and advances the timing

intake manifold vacuum is constant and will not allow timing to change.

If I recall most will advance 10 to 15 degrees

also search for post about setting timing with a vacuum gauge it will help also

there are also posts about changing one spring for the mechanical advance and bending the tabs to help chaing timing faster

It's been a long long long day or I would look them up for you

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
No prob. By the way, are you a native there? Have been to Munich, Salsburg, Berchtesgaden (several times), Konigssee, Obersalzburg, Kehlsteinhaus, etc. But not Regensburg. Spending 2 weeks at a villa in Tuscany this Fall and thinking of spending another week in Germany - possibly on a river cruise. Got any recommendations?

Hi Gary,

Jawohl I`m a native Lederhosen guy

So you been at the beautiful places over here.
You really should not miss Regensburg.It is one of the oldest cities in germany´.It wa built by the romans in the year 179 after Christus.
And since a few years it`s part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage.
Find more at:en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regensburg
River cruises on the donube must be very nice I heard.
If you really come to this wonderful city let me know and I`ll show you around.(scotty.schober@arcor.de) I`ve been living in
Bloomington/Indiana 1997 touring with an US-Rock`n Roll band called "SwingRays"

God bless the US !!!

Scotty
www.sunnybottomboys.de

PS: I saw the ignition modul of my truck has a yellow strain relief...
Does it fit my DURASPARK II ? Or do I need the modul with the blue strain relief ??My friend who did the whole modification is actually experienced
with US Cars but I`m not 100% sure if he knows about the colourcode of the Ford modules... Can it be that the wrong module causes the power loss ??

Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Hi Gary,

Jawohl I`m a native Lederhosen guy

So you been at the beautiful places over here.
You really should not miss Regensburg.It is one of the oldest cities in germany´.It wa built by the romans in the year 179 after Christus.
And since a few years it`s part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage.
Find more at:en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regensburg
River cruises on the donube must be very nice I heard.
If you really come to this wonderful city let me know and I`ll show you around.(scotty.schober@arcor.de) I`ve been living in
Bloomington/Indiana 1997 touring with an US-Rock`n Roll band called "SwingRays"

God bless the US !!!

Scotty
www.sunnybottomboys.de

PS: I saw the ignition modul of my truck has a yellow strain relief...
Does it fit my DURASPARK II ? Or do I need the modul with the blue strain relief ??My friend who did the whole modification is actually experienced
with US Cars but I`m not 100% sure if he knows about the colourcode of the Ford modules... Can it be that the wrong module causes the power loss ??
Scotty - Thanks for the input. We may take you up on the offer.

As for the ignition module, that may be your issue. I don't remember what that module does, but IIRC it is the one controlled by the computer. Do some research on the web as there is info out there on that, but I think you'll need the blue one.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
What do you mean by "less power". Do you mean you have less throttle response at low rpms? If so, that is a given. Everything you have done to this engine is to increase air flow. This means you are now going to have to rev it way up to get anything out of it. Speaking of which, you haven't changed the cam or ported the head to also increase airflow.

This is a low revving long stroke engine, that made power down low for pulling. It's not going to be a "willing" engine that loves rpms. That being said, you should notice some difference, but it's all going to be on the top end. If you happen to have one of the trucks that Ford setup as a "gas miser"(inline 6, 3.00 or lower gears and or a overdrive tranny) you will never realize your airflow improvements until about 100mph. If your truck is set up with these gears, you may need a gear change.
Hi Dave,

yes, less power at lower rpm`s. You`re right.
I knew it`s gonna loose some power from the basement, but right know the throttle response is a reeeeeal pain in the ***. I`m missing my old stump puller...
I also know it`ll never be a high rpm loving machine,and I thank god it is not. Long live longstrokers !!!!!
I guess something was connected wrong or so...
Will check everything from ignition to vacuum connections.
I`m afraid this is no gas miser. It`s very hard on gas and even was before the modification. It`s guzzling the stuff away like crazy and that`s a sad fact over here in Krautland... It needs 21 liters for 100 kilometers.
One Liter of gas is 1,70€ !!!!

Thank you !!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kg85f150
is the distributor plugged into the correct vacuum port.

is it plugged into the ported vacuum port at the throttle plate or is it plugged into the intake manifold?

ported vacuum is only there as the throttle plates open and advances the timing

intake manifold vacuum is constant and will not allow timing to change.

If I recall most will advance 10 to 15 degrees

also search for post about setting timing with a vacuum gauge it will help also

there are also posts about changing one spring for the mechanical advance and bending the tabs to help chaing timing faster

It's been a long long long day or I would look them up for you

Hi there,

thanks much for the hint man. Will check it.

Scott