1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1970 F250 4x4 Cummins Conversion Build Thread - Lots of Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Trucker_Jo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many other hosting sites to chose from. I save everything on google drive, if you have a gmail you can do it. Getting your pictures back one by one downloading from PB is the hard part.

Good luck i've been lurking for a while

Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM
ryanhablitzel
Senior User
Old 01-01-2018, 03:11 PM
ryanhablitzel
Senior User
I’m back...

Well I found another photo hoasting site to add pictures to. It seems that photobucket unlocked the photos on this build for some reason. Not really sure what happened. Maybe the forum paid photobucket a fee to get them back up on the site since photobuckets greed probably crippled the site. Regardless. I’m back at it.

Here is the progress:

1. Found some gloss black tractor paint at the local farm supply store. Used it on my trailer and realized it would probably work really well on things for this build. It pretty much is identical to por 15. I am coating all the random Parts with it.

2. The radiator core support is in place and I am loosely bolting everything together. I welded on some patch pieces to resolve the rust issue on the core support. It will take some additional modification to mount perfectly before it is ready.

3. Ordered a 1979 F350 3 core aluminum radiator. Fits perfectly without any modification. It was listed as a “Chevy” engine style because the inlet and outlet of the cummins is on the opposite side as the original Ford locations. I had to remove the stock clutch fan on the cummins. It was too big. I’ll have to find an electric fan to replace it.

4. Bolted on the inner fenders, battery mount, and grill loosely. Everything is in my place to begin wiring and plumbing the engine bay.

5. Instead of buying a bolt kit, I’m just ordering grade 8 and stainless fasteners from amazon in 50 packs as I need them. It’s working well.

6. I cut a hole in the transmission tunnel cover to match the needs of the 5 speed shifter location. The stock location works well for my twin trasnfercase sticks. I fabricated a custom cover. It’s going to look excellent.

7. I’ve been studying the cummins engine a lot lately. Wiring gauges and getting the fuel system hooked up will be a key next step. Also I need to get the steering box sent off to red head and order a custom steering column.

My plan right now is to finish up the wiring and interior. Get the fuel system going and get this thing started. Once I have the bulk of the fabrication work done, I’m going to load it up on the trailer and bring it down to my buddy’s shop for tires and wheels. After that it is going to go to Fat Bob’s Garage Layton, UT for drivelines, rear springs, shocks, and trailing arms. The goal is to have it on the road by Summer. We will see if that happens.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:08 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good to see you back. You’ve certainly done a butt ton of work. Now hurry up, I’m excited to see it out of the barn.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
2X on Chris's remark, but I have often cautioned amigos on this forum, "Proceed at the Speed of Right", and you will be happy with your results, and you won't have to do it over again.. Myself, I can resist anything but Temptation, so be wise, and think to yourself.."I have the rest of my life, and I am not in a hurry to get to the end of it"... Keep up the good work, measure twice, cut once..

Happy New Year amigo

Baja

Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Boostingaz
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed ... and then looked up and realized it's been 2 hours lol. Nice work!

Old 01-04-2018, 02:54 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sure sounds like you've been busy. Check out BoltDepot.com. They have great prices on Stainless in multiple grades! Of course, Grade 5 and 8 too.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 AM
ryanhablitzel
Senior User
Air Filter & Radiator Upper Hose

Progress... installed the Big Old Fleet Guard Air Filter (marine grade). Marine grade is supposed to have an extra layer of wire mesh (stonger) without changing the flow characteristics.

Fleetguard Air Housing Disposable Part No: AH19037
Amazon Amazon

I also ran a pre Filter:

Outerwears 20-1085-03 Pre-Filter
Amazon Amazon

I’ll need to get order some custom intake piping since the factory one locates the air filter ready get next to the turbo. This air filter is BIG!!! Biggest air filter I have ever seen. I hope I don’t have to cut the fender skirt to fit it under the hood!

Upper Rad Hose - it is always interesting when I walk into an Auto parts place and asked to look at the hoses in the back. The employees always look at me funny and want to somehow look it up for me even though I’m telling them that I have a 1970 Ford truck with a Cummins diesel that’s totally custom. Anyway I found this hose pictured and it worked decently. I wouldn’t say it’s a perfect fit, but I think it’s going to give me several years of good use and I can keep my eye out for a better solution later. The bend characteristics are not quite perfect but really good. It came as a longer hose and I had to cut it down. The auto parts guy want to sell me Some flex hose, but I insisted that he just let me go back and look at the hoses.

Thanks for the heads up on where to find bolts. amazon.com has been pretty good so far. I’ll check it out. Good to be back.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Most auto parts counter guys, are not out of the box far enough to even think that someone is customizing an old Ford truck with a Cummins diesel, let alone solving issues with parts not intended for that vehicle. Customizing is changing wheels to most car owners now days.
There is a local guy here in the Cabo area, who has turned a car's body and chassis upside down, on top of another chassis, so it looks like his car is driving upside down around town. I will try to snap a photo of it next time... Its the most "Out of the box" car in Baja that I know of...

Keep up the inventive/creative talent amigo, it shows pure genius

Baja

Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 PM
TheGoose
New User
One hell of a lot of work. You are doing a good job. This truck should last you a long time!

Old 09-19-2019, 11:05 AM
ryanhablitzel
Senior User
Unfortunately for me, life is changing and I have to sell the truck.

$10,000 OBO

If you are looking for a project, this is obviously a great opportunity. All the hard work is done. All parts go with the truck (plus extras). Been garaged for the last 7 years.

Located in Willard, Utah. Call or text Ryan (916) 220-3857

Clean and Clear Title IN HAND

Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 AM
ryanhablitzel
Senior User
Anyone interested? I am listing the truck on eBay today

Old 10-09-2019, 12:56 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
That's a bummer to have to sell.

Cummins isn't for everybody. Good luck with sale.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:52 AM
wantaford
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryanhablitzel
Unfortunately for me, life is changing and I have to sell the truck.

$10,000 OBO

If you are looking for a project, this is obviously a great opportunity. All the hard work is done. All parts go with the truck (plus extras). Been garaged for the last 7 years.

Located in Willard, Utah. Call or text Ryan (916) 220-3857

Clean and Clear Title IN HAND
I've followed your build, your building your truck the way I always wanted to build my own. Sorry you have to sell it. I live Davis County, wish I had that much cash right now to buy your project. Good luck to you!

Old 10-11-2019, 09:03 PM
ryanhablitzel
Senior User
Originally Posted by wantaford
I've followed your build, your building your truck the way I always wanted to build my own. Sorry you have to sell it. I live Davis County, wish I had that much cash right now to buy your project. Good luck to you!
Thanks man. There is a time for everything. Sometimes there is a time to sell. That time has come.

Quick Reply: 1970 F250 4x4 Cummins Conversion Build Thread - Lots of Pics!