1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

turbo upgrades: what are my options and what will they do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
In Glenn's case, exhaust back pressure and boost pressure would need to be checked to determine if the exhaust side is too restrictive. IF backpressure is rising when he's pulling hard, then yeah he could benefit from a larger turbine housing or a larger turbine wheel. Doing that could cause a problem though with slower spool up and causing it to blow some smoke during spool up, which from what I gather Glenn wants just about ZERO smoke from his rig. The smoke could be held to a minimum through tuning, but he would have less power during that time and I don't think he wants that either.

The other thing is he may just be pulling extremely heavy. When you pull as heavy as he does, it's going to be pretty tough to get to stay down. He could actually probably benefit from larger injectors with larger nozzles with proper tuning and a good turbo to match, but that's a whole different can of worms.

For stage 2's, I would run the S466 in the configuration I listed before all day. The GQSSB is a good S300 charger, but they are pricey and you can only run a T4I mounting kit. That limits your turbo options down the road if you ever want to switch.

For hybrids you could still use the same S466, but depending on nozzle size, I think a step up to a 1.00 turbine housing would be beneficial.
Maybe the better option would be a variable vane turbo... pricey (likely) but that would solve the problem (I think)... that way you could have a smaller exhaust housing at low power levels (for quick spoolup) and larger housing at higher rpm/load to lower temps...

that is if I am understanding the variable vane technology....

Richard

Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Maybe the better option would be a variable vane turbo... pricey (likely) but that would solve the problem (I think)... that way you could have a smaller exhaust housing at low power levels (for quick spoolup) and larger housing at higher rpm/load to lower temps...

that is if I am understanding the variable vane technology....

Richard
Variable Geometry would be cool, but the problem would be controlling the vanes. In the newer trucks using VGTs, the vanes are controlled by throttle position and probably back pressure and boost pressure, not sure. Also trucks that come with a factory exhaust brake, close the turbine vanes down which works as an exhaust brake. That would be a cool function to have, but it might be tough to get the VGT working properly.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Variable Geometry would be cool, but the problem would be controlling the vanes. In the newer trucks using VGTs, the vanes are controlled by throttle positions and probably back pressure and boost pressure, not sure. Also trucks that come with a factory exhaust brake, close the turbine vanes down which works as an exhaust brake. That would be a cool function to have, but it might be tough to get the VGT working properly.
I dont see why not...

A simple micro-controller based on a PIC chip should be able to do that... jou just have to figure out the parameters...

I'd think the harder part would be mounting the turbo...

Richard

Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
I dont see why not...

A simple micro-controller based on a PIC chip should be able to do that... jou just have to figure out the parameters...

I'd think the harder part would be mounting the turbo...

Richard
See, I think mounting the turbo would be the easy part. LOL There is someone that swapped in a 6.0L VGT turbo on his OBS a few years ago, but I don't remember how he controlled it. I don't think I'll ever bother. With 7.3L of displacement, we really don't have any problems spooling good sized turbos like the 6.0L guys do, so I doubt I'll ever consider doing the swap. Heck, Steve is running a 71mm S400 on his OBS with stage 2 160cc/100% injectors and it spools just fine for him. He's even using a bigger turbine housing than I have recommended in this thread. haha

Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree with Travis on this one. Not necessarily because I know any better, but because his logic makes more sense to me! lol

And Travis is probably the Turbo combination Guru for OBS trucks IMHO.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Awitte58
I would agree with Travis on this one. Not necessarily because I know any better, but because his logic makes more sense to me! lol

And Travis is probably the Turbo combination Guru for OBS trucks IMHO.
I honestly wouldn't say I'm any kind of "guru". There are many guys out there much smarter than I am on the subject. I just see what others are using in their combos, I've spent tons of time researching the subject on PSD forums, and pass on the info that I can. I still have a lot to learn about turbos, but they aren't terribly complicated until you start looking at compounds and triples.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM
f350rebel7788
Disabled USMC Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
okay, well then it sounds like the S466 is what i'm lookin for... eventually... lol I've still got alot to do before it gets to that point...

Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
See, I think mounting the turbo would be the easy part. LOL There is someone that swapped in a 6.0L VGT turbo on his OBS a few years ago, but I don't remember how he controlled it. I don't think I'll ever bother. With 7.3L of displacement, we really don't have any problems spooling good sized turbos like the 6.0L guys do, so I doubt I'll ever consider doing the swap. Heck, Steve is running a 71mm S400 on his OBS with stage 2 160cc/100% injectors and it spools just fine for him. He's even using a bigger turbine housing than I have recommended in this thread. haha
The guy that put the 6.0 turbo on his OBS was tinkering with a home built controller for the VGT. He was an electronics guy by trade and had it working, but not dialed in 100% when that thread died and I really haven't heard anything since then about it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
f350rebel7788
Disabled USMC Veteran

i wish i had $700... i'd grab the S466 from this guy... maybe one of you guys could use it? 7.3 Performance Parts [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by f350rebel7788
i wish i had $700... i'd grab the S466 from this guy... maybe one of you guys could use it? 7.3 Performance Parts [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
That's a pretty good deal on that turbo. Normally they are ~$1k with one of the T4 housings listed(they come box stock with a T6 housing usually, I think).

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
f350rebel7788
Disabled USMC Veteran

would a Garrett GT40 be a good one? what qualities am I lookin for??? I think the biggest problem i have with these things is that the names are all just letters and numbers and don't really explain much about the characteristics...

Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
S466.= s400 series frame which is Med size and stronger then a s300 series. 66 is the inducer size on compressor wheel. That's on the swizter turbos. Hx55 would be a comparable in a holset charger. Not sure on a Garrett.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
I don't have any thing intelligent to say Travis, LOL. I pull fairly heavy, I smoke (the truck, lol), I get hot, I back off. I just like to complain. The fact is my truck pulls very well, I'm happy. Maybe complain isn't the right word, I want perfection. Next winter I'll consider pulling my injectors and have stage 2's made and go with some of your suggestions. Maybe my wife will make me buy a new pickup (that will be a cold day in he!!).

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Ken_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
hirty years, I don't like even looking at trains anymore, burned out. These loaded coal trains are the world's largest land moving machine.
I think its cool as hell . all that steel rollin down the tracks nearly unstoppable. Diesel electric loco is an awesomely fascinating machine. would have been a secondary career choice for me. and as far as travel i would rather take a train across country than an airplane... actually i would rather be dragged by the neck behind the train than fly in an airplane.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Sounds like you really dislike airplanes.

Quick Reply: turbo upgrades: what are my options and what will they do?