Sponsored by:

Redhead Steering Box Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
CrzHelm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobRoss
While idling, put the trans in neutral and let off the brake, do you have power steering now? My 05 at idle with the brake on will only allow me roughly half a turn before I can't turn it anymore. It has to do with the steering geometry. The tires need to rotate in order for the steering to rotate further. Not sure how this changes with suspension mods.
dont matter park or neutral, brake or no brake, or reving engine. The steering wheel wont turn unless im rolling. and it been like that since before i put bigger tires on. i replaced fluid twice even did lucas fluid with no improvement. just got to be careful where i park.
you think its box or pump?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
saz2686
Senior User
Who wants to host the Red Head Install and Tech day? And when is it ?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by CrzHelm
dont matter park or neutral, brake or no brake, or reving engine. you think its box or pump?
Mine doesn the same, but only in the morning. Maybe temp related? Rarely too cold here though...

Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Where are these ratio numbers coming from? The only ratios I ever remember anyone talking about is steering wheel turns to lock ratio. Like a mitsubishi evolution has a 2:1 ratio which is two turns of the steering wheel puts the wheels from lock to lock. My honda civic has a 3:1 ratio.

I did notice instantly when I started driving the X that it has a much less ratio (more turns lock to lock) than what I was used to for years and years in for trucks and to this day it kind of pisses me off. I like quick steering, I don't like having to turn the wheel a half a turn while on the highway just to make a slight curve in the road.

I asked before if the older 1980-1997 F250 and up boxes would work on our trucks? I didn't get an answer then, hoping someone can answer? I would love to have the old ratio back!
All the specifications used to be accessible from Ford's media site but the older media kits are not online anymore. FTE has a specifications section though so that is where I got the figures from.
I remember the press releases from when the Excursion had just debuted saying that the Excursion had a quicker ratio than the trucks to make it feel and drive smaller.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hasteranger
My $200 sat in a field for 7 years 79 has quicker, more precise steering than my $23k, 8 year old ex. sad.
I know what you are saying. Yesterday and today, I drove both the Excursion and my Jeep TJ on the highway with the high winds we have been having here in South Texas and the Excursion proved to be harder to maintain than the Jeep. I really need to overhaul that front suspension.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont matter park or neutral, brake or no brake, or reving engine. The steering wheel wont turn unless im rolling. and it been like that since before i put bigger tires on. i replaced fluid twice even did lucas fluid with no improvement. just got to be careful where i park.
you think its box or pump?
Not knowing your truck and whats been replaced, I'd guess ball joints, you can take a front wheel off, disconnect the the tie rod and see how hard/easy it is to turn by hand. Should have a little resistance but still easy to do but not really easy hope that makes sense. Then try the other side. From what you describe it seems the truck needs to be moving in order to steer it. If the ball joints are bad, you could also have a worn pitman arm shaft in your steering box. Check for leaks there, if leaking, you need to reman the box and pitman shaft.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
In case a diagram (a jeep, but the same general idea) is useful...

Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 AM
CrzHelm
Senior User
Not knowing your truck and whats been replaced, I'd guess ball joints, you can take a front wheel off, disconnect the the tie rod and see how hard/easy it is to turn by hand. Should have a little resistance but still easy to do but not really easy hope that makes sense. Then try the other side. From what you describe it seems the truck needs to be moving in order to steer it. If the ball joints are bad, you could also have a worn pitman arm shaft in your steering box. Check for leaks there, if leaking, you need to reman the box and pitman shaft.
since i got this truck 2 yrs ago i put the lift in, replaced all 4 tie rods, all 4 ball joints, u joints, both hub bearings and all 4 brakes and rotors. the ball joints move freely. box is dry no leaks. this is either pump or box.. anyone??

Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since i got this truck 2 yrs ago i put the lift in, replaced all 4 tie rods, all 4 ball joints, u joints, both hub bearings and all 4 brakes and rotors. the ball joints move freely. box is dry no leaks. this is either pump or box.. anyone??
You might want to create your own thread so it gets more visability.

Did you change your pitman arm to accomodate the added lift?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
I am in for the group buy. just called redhead and they qoute 346 normal price for my 03 Ex.

when do you want to get these ordered. sooner the better for me.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
I am in for the group buy. just called redhead and they qoute 346 normal price for my 03 Ex.

when do you want to get these ordered. sooner the better for me.
april 16th is the date to order....made it a month out so you all can get your funds together....want me to add you to the list or is that to long of a wait?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
CrzHelm
Senior User
You might want to create your own thread so it gets more visability.

Did you change your pitman arm to accomodate the added lift?
yes lift kit came with drop pitman arm and track bar drop bracket.
i thought i would find other people with same problem here that are also changing the box. i guess ill have to be guinee pig

Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
I can probably wait. not doing much more towing until summer anyway.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
I can probably wait. not doing much more towing until summer anyway.
added to the list....

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

I am going to need to write myself a note to remember April 16 !

Quick Reply: Redhead Steering Box Group Buy