1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 07:08 AM
blueovalinvestments
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise control question

Hi All, We're putting a late model EFI 5.0 in our 55. Trying to use some of the donor car parts, like the cruise control. There is a vacuum line that runs from the cruise control to the air pump. I was hoping to leave the air pump out, but want to use the cruise. Does anyone know what this line does, and can the cruise be used without it?
The donor car is a 88 Grand Marquis.
Thanks

Old 04-27-2003, 09:02 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Lightbulb Cruise control question

James,
Impressive list of vehicles (especially the modified '90 Mustang GT..."I thank you very much!")... and judging by the partial pic of it behind your pic of your '55, I had the same rims on my '94 (with Saleen suspension and rear end).

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts on getting your question answered, not that the good folks here wouldn't know ('cuz it's probably been done by one or more of them already anyways!), but... you might also consider (1) posting this same thread on a FTE forum that covers the 1988 year vehicle (regardless of van, truck, or car); or (2) simply contacting a tech guy at a Ford dealership. Any decent dealership's parts dept should have a display you can look at that'll show the vacuum runs, etc on the cruise control. That way, you not only get your question answered, you get to see how it all ropes together! (aah, see there IS a method to my madness!!!).

Likely though, someone here will answer your question without having to go through all that hassle, but, if push comes to shove,well, you know...

Good luck with the CC. What a nice "creature comfort" to have in these old trucks!
Daryl
'59 Styleside

Last edited by DS59F100; 04-27-2003 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise control question

Originally posted by DS59F100
... Good luck with the CC. What a nice "creature comfort" to have in these old trucks! ...
I won't be much help James - my wife controls most of my cruising.

Old 04-27-2003, 11:37 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Cruise control question

Your cruise control might be vacuum powered. You could probably hook the pump into something else but this is where my knowledge stops. Somebody else will surely clarify this.
-4speed

Old 04-27-2003, 11:58 AM
blueovalinvestments
Junior User
Cruise control question

You're right, it is vacuum powered, the line off the air pump has me baffled......might have to use DS59F100's suggestion, but the support at my local dealer has been less than enthusiastic.
Thanks for the replies.