Sponsored by:

Sector Shaft Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sector Shaft Interchange

The sector shaft on my 79 Ford, won't seal because the sector shaft is kind of pitted where the seal rides. So I was wondering if there are any tricks y'all have for fixing a leaking sector shaft, or if a sector shaft from a newer power steering box will fit.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Newer sector will not fit.

But a seal kit from a older box will fit. Like a 76 I think was what I used. Anyways the lower seal kit came with two pressure seals instead of a pressure and a dust.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
I have the seal kit, but my shaft is pitted, even with new seals it leaks.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Its possible you could have your shaft turned or polished to remove the pits and then source a seal to fit but thats a shot in the dark.

It would be easier, and probably cheaper, to find a box in better condition.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
I have a lathe and thought about setting up between centers and refinishing it, but I wasn't sure how I was going to find a seal with the right dimensions.

But part of me thinks, if I used a stock seal and polished the bearing surface it might make a leak free seal, but that still kind of a shot in the dark.

It isn't leaking really bad, but I just don't like leaks of any nature. I Have heard over te years that if you put it in the top and it doesn't come out the bottom, then it's not a ford but Im still skeptical of that.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

349060 gates part #. Lower seal kit with two pressure seals. I had the same dam problem, I fixed it with a ki for a older model that had two pressure seals instead of one and a dust seal.

Here is the kit

Here is the kit made for yours.

Notice they are in fact different. Notice the top kit has two of the same seals.... Notice that they will ride in different spots on your sector shaft and seal twice as good as one seal.

Notice this is the second time I'm telling you this. I have done it. It works. I don't remember the order of seals vs spacers and all that, but I did use some spacers out of my box and some that came in the kit.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Ok thanks I will try that, however my kit came with two pressure seals. But no spacers that I can think of.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Do the seals look identical in ur kit??

Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
They are identical.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Well jam them in there than. U should be good to go. If u have spacers u in ur box with the seals always can install in a different order to keep the seal in a diff spot on the sector

Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
I will try it but every available is worn.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
I've "heard" that ford never put bearings in the bottom section of steering boxes as they would sell a brazillion amout of seals. Company called Redhead steering takes your box and can machine and press a bearing in. I guess they oval out.
I had issues with getting my seals to hold after hydro assist. Put in new ones and no luck. Then I said screw it and took it to a shop and they did it. Fixed it right up. I think the trick was the seals looked like the were coated in Vaseline.

Can't see why the shaft couldn't be welded in pitted areas then smoothed out as well. Talk to redhead steering I wouldn't be surprised if they regularly do this

Steering Gear Remanufacturing | Manual & Power Steering Gear Box

Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Looking into it looks like instead of welding they do flame spraying? Never heard of it. Kinda checked it out. Blasts steel onto surfaces? Too tired to look into it more..

Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Notice they are in fact different. Notice the top kit has two of the same seals.... Notice that they will ride in different spots on your sector shaft and seal twice as good as one seal.

Notice this is the second time I'm telling you this. I have done it. It works. I don't remember the order of seals vs spacers and all that, but I did use some spacers out of my box and some that came in the kit.
NOTICE, Dave is a major tool. :flip:

Nice to know about the older seal kit. Goes to show even BA MFers have room to learn something from time to time.

73, Ive seen some boxes that have bearings. Definitely the way to go if you have a lathe or mill handy. I have the timken number at home for the bearing.

That flame spraying deal is used quite often in body work. Ive never seen it done but sounds like a cool SiFi-esque deal. Not sure how well that would work on a sector shaft or similar part though.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Tool or not, My steering box didn't leak, even with the crack in the sector shaft. :flipoff:

Quick Reply: Sector Shaft Interchange