Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Installed FRx, truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
JacksonJL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed FRx, truck wont start

Yesterday I finally got around to installing the FRx that has been sitting in the barn for 3 months. I thought that the install went well, but now the truck wont start. It just cranks over at about 600 RPM, but wont start. The fuel bowl is full, but it acts like its not getting fuel. I've got it on the battery charger now, just in case that's the problem, but I'm not sure how it could be. Any other ideas for things to check?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
johnarahill
Senior User
If the FPR valve on the side of the bowl isn't seated properly it will cause problems, can sometimes be difficult to do if you didn't take the bowl out and stand it on its side...

Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM
JacksonJL
Junior User
Originally Posted by johnarahill
If the FPR valve on the side of the bowl isn't seated properly it will cause problems, can sometimes be difficult to do if you didn't take the bowl out and stand it on its side...
Okay, I had a little trouble getting it set right, so maybe that's it. I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Check fuse #30. You may have jiggled the fuel bowl heater and caused it to blow that fuse. Beyond that, look at the IPR connector and all the other ones in that area.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
JacksonJL
Junior User
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Check fuse #30. You may have jiggled the fuel bowl heater and caused it to blow that fuse. Beyond that, look at the IPR connector and all the other ones in that area.
Okay, I'll check fuse 30. If it is blown, can I just disconnect the heater to get it to start? I checked, jiggled, and pushed in all of the other connectors around there, but I'll check them all again.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by JacksonJL
Okay, I'll check fuse 30. If it is blown, can I just disconnect the heater to get it to start? I checked, jiggled, and pushed in all of the other connectors around there, but I'll check them all again.

Thanks!
No you have to leave it discounted and change the fuse to get it started.
Chet

Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM
JacksonJL
Junior User
I checked the #30 fuse and it looks good. I loosened the regulator block to check the spring, and it looks good. I out it back on a little loose, and the truck started but the block was leaking so i shut it off. After tightening, it wont start again. I tried loosening it again but still no start. I put in the middle spring. Could it be too strong and not allowing fuel to flow through? That doesnt really make sense to me, but I'm lost at this point. Any other advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the spring has to seat straight in the block. sometimes it gets cocked when you reinstall. Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you cycling the key 3-4 times without cranking it before trying to start it?

Too much pressure will not make it not start. It will usually cause it to leak out of the filter cap.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
dmanshane
Tuned
I have the big spring in mine and never had a leak or a problem I thiny you didn't get something on right during install

Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
JacksonJL
Junior User
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Are you cycling the key 3-4 times without cranking it before trying to start it?

Too much pressure will not make it not start. It will usually cause it to leak out of the filter cap.
Yeah, I cycled it a few times. I actually ran the batteries down trying different things and then cycling/cranking it. With everything together, I'm not getting any leaks using the middle (gold) spring.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
JacksonJL
Junior User
Originally Posted by dmanshane
I have the big spring in mine and never had a leak or a problem I thiny you didn't get something on right during install
I'm using the middle spring. I'm thinking that I either somehow bumped/unplugged something during install, or it's just a coincidence that something else went bad at the same time.

What sensors would cause the truck to not start if they were unplugged or bad?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 PM
dmanshane
Tuned
The injection pressure regulator would not let it start try un plugging. The injection pressure sensor front of drivers side head on like a 45 degree angle and see if it starts

Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 PM
johnarahill
Senior User
I hate to make you do extra work, but it's hard to tell if the spring is seated properly when you are trying to install it with the fuel bowl still attached to the HPOP reservoir. It's somewhat difficult to explain, but if you take the bowl off to install it you can see how it can get hung up wrong in there. Check all of your sensor connections, and if they are right, I'd try pulling the bowl and putting the fpr on with the port vertical as opposed to horizontal (how it is with fuel bowl still installed).

Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 PM
JacksonJL
Junior User
Originally Posted by dmanshane
The injection pressure regulator would not let it start try un plugging. The injection pressure sensor front of drivers side head on like a 45 degree angle and see if it starts
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just put a new ICP sensor in it on Sunday. It started after that, and then I moved on to the FRx. Just to be sure, I tried unplugging the new one, but it still wouldn't start.

Quick Reply: Installed FRx, truck wont start