2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I get hosed on my "fx4"

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I get hosed on my "fx4"

So I bought what i was pretty sure was an 2004 fx4 a few weeks ago but just went and test drove another with a friend. The one We drove had the shifter in the middle of the 2 seats, leather, and even said fx4 on the dash (with the gauges). Mine has the shifter on the column and the only fx4 graphic I see is on the sides of the bed.

Did I get hosed? Is the shifter in the middle and all that just another option? How can I tell if I truly have an fx4 and not just some guys stickers?

heres my truck

Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can request a build sheet from Ford, it's easy and free.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ild-sheet.html

Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
Originally Posted by Archion
You can request a build sheet from Ford, it's easy and free.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ild-sheet.html
Thanks, i'll do that. Anyone know any other things that can tell me a little more immediately? I'll still do that but it sounds like it'll be a couple weeks best case and I am quite curious NOW

Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Archion
Postmaster
You can go to a dealer and have them run your VIN, they can give you the as-born info on the spot.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Look under the truck and see if you have the front differential skid plate and there should be a skid plate under the gas tank and either transfer case or tranny. One of those has a smaller skid plate too.

I believe you could order the Fx4 with the shifter on the column but it would still have the Fx4 logo at the dash area too.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
No big skid under the front diff, though it looks like there was at some point (maybe for some reason was damaged in the 110k miles before I had it or removed with the lift) But I do have skids under the gas tank on transfer case

Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Was the FX4 just an appearance package in 2004? I thought I read somewhere that it didn't become a trimline til 2005. Let me go check specs.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
that would be shady if someone just put the stickers on.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Ok I was wrong....click this link and scroll down to the FX4 details.
2004 Ford F150 Overview

Old 03-08-2012, 07:42 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Ok I was wrong....click this link and scroll down to the FX4 details.
2004 Ford F150 Overview
based on that it sounds like the captain or bucket chairs were an option on the fx4, mine does have the 2 tone dark grey exterior, and the carbon mesh and "warm steel" accents. The rest I guess doesn't apply as mine doesn't have stock bumpers, rims, or grill.

So it seams as if I probably do have an actual fx4 but I'll get that build sheet to be sure. Thanks guys

Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was looking for a truck, I drove a 2008 FX4 that had the column shifter and a closth bench seat in it. It was crew cab and had power windows, locks, and the other usual electric doo dads, but no leather and no console in the middle. The gauge cluster was the FX4 gauge cluster though. This particular truck did have the skid plates as well. I was told that the FX4s that you see with the black leather, centerconsole and other luxury items were in a class of their own. They were the FX4s w/ luxury package.

Originally Posted by Coskid
Look under the truck and see if you have the front differential skid plate and there should be a skid plate under the gas tank and either transfer case or tranny. One of those has a smaller skid plate too.

I believe you could order the Fx4 with the shifter on the column but it would still have the Fx4 logo at the dash area too.
This is odd, My lariat has all of those skid plates and center console shifter. The only thing it doesn't have is the FX4 special carbon fiber interior. I have been in several lariats that didn't have any of the features mine has, skid plates included. Why is this? Is my truck some kind of mixed up freak of nature FX4/lariat package, or are there other trucks out their with the FX4 features that aren't FX4?

By the way, mine has the tan leather interior not FX4 black.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
When I was looking for a truck, I drove a 2008 FX4 that had the column shifter and a closth bench seat in it. It was crew cab and had power windows, locks, and the other usual electric doo dads, but no leather and no console in the middle. The gauge cluster was the FX4 gauge cluster though. This particular truck did have the skid plates as well. I was told that the FX4s that you see with the black leather, centerconsole and other luxury items were in a class of their own. They were the FX4s w/ luxury package.

This is odd, My lariat has all of those skid plates and center console shifter. The only thing it doesn't have is the FX4 special carbon fiber interior. I have been in several lariats that didn't have any of the features mine has, skid plates included. Why is this? Is my truck some kind of mixed up freak of nature FX4/lariat package, or are there other trucks out their with the FX4 features that aren't FX4?

By the way, mine has the tan leather interior not FX4 black.
Skid plates were a part of a package, some call it the off road package. Could be had on many trucks that weren't FX4s. Was standard equip on the FX4 though.
FWIW, leather didn't make it the luxury package...as my truck is black leather and NOT the luxury grouping. Luxury added memory seats, auto climate controls, power slider, etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I believe the trucks that had the floor shifter had FX4 written in the spot where the gear positions are wrote for the trucks with the shifter on the dash. What kind of seats and dash trim do you have? The FX4's only came with black seats and the dash and doors had faux carbon fiber accent panels. Also, the vent covers were silver with a chrome ring. On an XLT the vent covers will be black with a chrome ring and I'm pretty sure black seats weren't an option. On the outside of the truck, the F150 badge on the front fenders will just say F150 and 5.4 if it's a FX4 model and on the others it will say if it's an XLT, XL,ect.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
post a picture of your grill. It will be a black "H" grille. not honeycomb

look under your fender flares...a true FX4 will have holes drilled that the OEM "black" flares were mounted to. only the FX4 and Lariat came with flares. XL and XLT did not

early FX4's had grey or black cloth seats. or grey/black leather. later FX4's had black

Luxury FX4's had center console with shifter, the Inst. Cluster said "FX4" centerline

as mentioned, the a/c vents are chrome trimmed

skid plates were optional on all models, but standard on FX4

your biggest and easiest way to prove the truck is a FX4 will be the Grille, and most telling is the fenders. If you don't have holes drilled, your truck is a XLT. below is a picture of my old FX4 with the flares removed. notice the holes. also is a picture of the grille

hope that helps some

Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 AM
jagarcia89
Junior User
Like I said my truck does not have the original grill so that won't tell me much. I'll check for the holes though.... By fender flares do you mean like the ones in my picture?

Quick Reply: Did I get hosed on my "fx4"