1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Borg Warner r10 overdrive question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I always thought it would be cool to make a planetary aux gearbox for OD by taking the planetary gearset and clutch pack out of an automatic trans, and using engine oil pressure to activate the clutch pack. If only I had a Bridgeport and 30 years experience...

Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Ilango
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Can't answer those questions with any experience, you may want to read thru the B-W manuals to understand the units' operation:
http://www.georgiastudebaker.com/Overdrive.pdf
Also, google "Saturn overdrive" for another option. Good luck!
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
ALBUQ F-1 is on the right track. The Borg-Warner R-10 unit is about the same size as the Laycock unit. The one-way (overrunning) clutch is required for the overdrive to work properly. If this is damaged the only real option is to lock the overdrive out and use straight drive.
The Saturn overdrive is made to go on a four wheel drive transfer case. The input and output are on the same side of the unit.
I think there are probably better options for you than the B-W overdrive.
Thanks Albuq-F1, The operations manual for BW OD was useful in understanding its working. And I see that the one-way clutch has some significance in engaging direct drive on the fly.
I had checked the Saturn overdrive (Is it also known as the Warn Overdrive unit?). As 38 Coupe said, I need to make my own casing and install a set of idler gears to have a straight output than from the same side.

Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Thinking aloud tonight, what about physically reversing a separate transmission and using the gear just under 1/1?
Hi, This was the first thing that came to my mind. Using the 4th and 3rd gears and reversing the input & output . But had to give up this idea as this would reduce the ground clearance, while a planetary system seemed compact with some increase in length which could be tackled by working on the propeller shaft.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I always thought it would be cool to make a planetary aux gearbox for OD by taking the planetary gear set and clutch pack out of an automatic trans, and using engine oil pressure to activate the clutch pack. If only I had a Bridgeport and 30 years experience...
Same here, not with oil pressure & clutches but with synchros like in the Saturn OD. In the mileage conscious Indian market the options for an Automatic transmission are very few, and finding one in the scrap yard is still difficult. Also lack of experience in this field is the problem here.

Still it would be great if there would be a way out for complete manual control of this OD unit. Hope to find a solution soon.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
The Saturn Overdrive is the Warn Overdrive. Warn sold out to Saturn.