Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag code 51 on 95 Bronco.... What to look for first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Nitro Blazer
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bag code 51 on 95 Bronco.... What to look for first?

I posted up earlier about a list of codes for this problem. Found the code, found that it has to do with the internal thermal fuse blowing in the control unit.

This unit is under the dash correct?

Where is the most common place to find a short in the system? Would I be smart to start looking in the seat belt area? Since the seat belts will be the most likely part to be worn and I know they have a wiring harness in them for the indicator and I imagine for the airbag system.

This is the main part of what I have found on everything I have clicked...

Note:
The air bag diagnostic monitor contains an internal thermal fuse that is not serviceable. The thermal fuse is controlled by a computer inside the air bag diagnostic monitor. The computer will blow the thermal fuse whenever a short on the deployment circuits occurs. The thermal fuse does not blow because of excessive current flowing through it. DO NOT attempt to jumper out the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker or any other type of fuse.

Note:
DO NOT install a new air bag diagnostic monitor until the short has been located and corrected. If a short to ground has not been located and corrected, then the short to ground is intermittent and IS NOT PRESENT AT THIS TIME. Installing a new air bag diagnostic monitor with an intermittent short in the system will result in blown air bag diagnostic monitors and repeat repairs.

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the voltages at the diagnostic monitor connector pins. When certain air bag deployment wires are shorted to ground (heavy lines illustrated in the schematic below), the supplemental air bag restraint system may become susceptible to unwanted deployment of the air bag(s). The air bag diagnostic monitor senses a short to ground on any of these circuits and helps prevent unwanted air bag deployant by blowing the diagnostic monitor thermal fuse. Blowing this fuse removes all power (battery and back-up power) from the air bag deployment circuits. While the short to ground exists, the monitor will flash code 13. If the short to ground is intermittent and temporarily corrects itself, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash code 51.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Nitro Blazer
Freshman User
Could this also be the clock spring having a short?

I have been told if the clock spring is bad that the horn and cruise do not work... Is this true? The horn and CC work on this truck.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your horn does not work, there is a very good chance the clock spring could be bad..

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Nitro Blazer
Freshman User
That's what has me. The horn and cruise work... Is there something else that shorts in the clock spring that could cause this? It would be nice if it was the clock spring, would be an easy fix. I think I'm going to take the fuse out of the control module and replace it.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Nitro Blazer
Freshman User
Any more ideas? I've stalled the project for a day to gather more information...