1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Good or bad?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 PM
wakeboarder32
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good or bad?

Just started into my cab today on my 56 F100, needs a lot of work but thought i would get suggestions on the condition of the cab and how i should go about fixing it. This is my first build and am learning alot. I think i will go to harbor freight and buy one of their $100 welders, any suggestions? The 408W is complete and readay to go, I also have prepped the new frame, ill add those pics shortly. Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 PM
wakeboarder32
Senior User
Motor and new frame

Still trying to figure out what vehicle my front clip came out of. I thought it was a 72-76 torino, the only reason i came up with that is from all the pictures ive looked at online of other front ends, i could be wrong but the motor mounts i ordered for it fit like they are supposed to so im pretty stoked about that. The only thing i have left to do is rebuild the front suspension, the only thing i came up with doing is tearing all one side down and sending all the bushings and ball joints in to see if they can match them up, thats the only way i can think to make sure i get the right stuff. Any one know any good sites for suspension rebuild kits? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It looks like that cab is dam near perfect. My recomendations for front end parts are MOOG, I spent 25 yrs specializing in front end and brakes, and found their products (IMO) to be the best by far.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,410 Likes on 1,370 Posts
I agree, from what I see, that cab is in excellent shape. I'm not even sure what you'll need a welder for.

But seriously, before I spent $100 at harbor freight on a cheap welding machine, I'd search my local ads for a good, used name brand unit. One that is less likely to fail, and if you do need parts or service, it'll be readily available. Even at your local welding supply store, you can often find really good deals on demo machines or ones that were very lightly used for training, etc., at significant discounts. I've got a small Lincoln SP135 I picked up on a deal like that for about 40% off the regular price, and it had less than a half spool of wire run through it. That machine will very likely outlast my lifetime. I've yet to finish that spool.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Ditto on the cab....it looks almost perfect!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Either that or go your local Napa or other parts house and you can get just about every piece you need. I'd be hesitant about ordering a kit on-line until you know exactly what you have. I have seen enough big-body fords to tell just from looking at them but know that latter 70s Thunderbirds, LTDs, Cougars, Torinos, Montegos, etc.. had subframes. Somtimes taking in the brake parts and matching those up can be the tell-tale sign. What is the bolt pattern on the wheels?

As for your welder... be sure to get one that is gas shielded (uses a bottle with gas). Flux core is garbage, especially if you plan to use it on sheetmetal. I'd be cautious of China Freight's welder, not sure what you're really gettin and a welder is a piece of equipment that needs a bit of precision to operate correctly. Get .025 and .030 mig wire and the applicable tips for the gun and should be set to go.

Ha Ha... posted at the same time as Nighthawk and Merc!
I'll second what Merc says and try combing the ads (even craigslist) for a good used name-brand welder. You wont be sorry.

And by the way.... I am jelous... that IS a great looking cab!!!

Last edited by Dano78; 02-26-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: addin stuff
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only thing that floor needs is a wire brush and a coat of rust sealer. How's you lower cab corners look? I wish I had a floor which looks that nice to start with.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
X4 on getting a decent welder with shielding gas. I have tried out cheap welders and they are junk.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:43 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto on the cab. You might have a few places that bother you but with a $100 welder the end result will probably be worse than what you have now. Clean up and coat what you have now and put the $100 and effort toward figuring out that front end. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Gregruk
Junior User
Looks ok from where I'm sat .... nice one ... agree on all the cheap welder comments ... buy an old good make .. rather than a cheap new one .. just my 2p's worth !

Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
wakeboarder32
Senior User
Cab

Thanks for all the comments, I thought it was in pretty good shape, the cab corners definately need replaced, i already have both front replacement corners, i also have a complete cab mount kit from mid fifty with the adjustable cab arms. i included a close up pic of the worst spot on the floor. That is first on my list to fix. Ill definately check out craigs list and some local websites for a welder, very good idea. I didnt even think about just taking the old bushings and such to napa and just having them match them up, ill definaely do that as well. I loaded the truck up about an hour ago on my car hauler, im going to try to get some things done while im at work tomorrow! Thanks for all the advice, any advice on how to fix this spot is much appreciated!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
wakeboarder32
Senior User
welder

would this be a good deal? whats better mig, tig, arc?? im new to the welding scene, anxious to try it! ive done it once but it was in school. Thanks.

lincoln pro mig welder 135, with gauges.used about 5 min.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Make sure the welder has the sheilding gas hook up. I started with the cheap Lincoln 110v flux-core welder, big mistake. After welding in my floors, it worked but not pretty, I bought the Lincoln 180 with gas, I now look for things to weld. It also allows you to use thinner wire which means less grinding. The best tool I've bought for my build.
You've got a great looking truck to start with, enjoy!
Brian

Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tig is the best for sheet metal work. However it's a bit more difficult to learn and quite a bit more expensive to get into. Mig is the best all around and that Lincoln 135 should do the trick. Like Brian said, make sure it has hookups for gas and you'll want to use .025 wire for sheet metal work.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Lincoln makes a good welder, and that one can be used with either shielding gas or flux core wire. I haven't used one of theirs (I have a Hobart Handler 175). The lincoln is probably 110v, but you should check to make sure, especially if you don't have 220 in your shop/garage.

Home Depot carries Lincoln welders, so you could check there to see what they go for new.

At 135 amps, it would be more than enough for sheet metal to 3/16" or so. Other than chassis fab, it would probably do just about anything you would need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good or bad?