1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 Overhead Consoles ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 PM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
You can match the contour of the top with a technique called scribing. Cut a piece of extra wide cardboard or 1/8 hardboard to length between the windows or however far you want the console to come back. Hold it up and roughly draw the contour and cut it out. Move the pattern up and hold in place. Set a simple school compass (one with a point and a pencil like you used in grade/highschool to draw circles) So the point is against the roof and the pencil is directly vertical below at a spacing that is slightly wider than the biggest gap between the rough pattern and the roof. Now (IMPORTANT!) without tipping or turning the compass run the point along the roof, tracing the profile onto the pattern with the pencil. Recut your pattern along the pencil line and check for fit. Rescribe and recut if it doesn't fit. Now you can make several copies of the contour pattern and try different shapes and thickness to fit you needs. Once you have a shape you like, cut a second one and a filler strip the width of the console, tape together and tape to the roof to test the shape. Cut out the openings for whatever you want to install and make sure it will fit before building out of more permanent material like wood or metal.
I would be willing to make high quality custom overhead or floor consoles in metal fiberglass, or wood for the 56, or if there was enough interest manufacture multiples of more universal/ generic design fiberglass ones. My 56 is a panel, so I could not make a full length one unless someone wants to bring me their pickup to use to develop the pattern.
You maybe wrongfully assuming there were actual schools back when I was a "youngster" ! Nice description though, between your method and the cheap contour gauge I picked up today, MAYBE I can make a pattern. I want to insulate the roof also, but could make a pattern on bare roof and trim for insulation thickness ??

Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
LOL. Yeah, my truck is somewhat darksided BUT all my tin is original, and I want to keep my cowl vent, so no dash cutting for me !
There is no reason to lose your cowl vent just because you modify your dash...I still have my cowl vent even with the dash mods I have made.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dano78
Ax- I like that lower dash extension! Kinda finishes off the bottom of the dash like alot of cars are. These truck dashes do look like they are missing something at the bottom, and that's a nice approach to it. Very cool center console too, clean and simple.
Now is that console easily removed in the event that you'd wanna pop that transmission cover off? Nice work tho.
Two bolts under the dash lip and two screws into angle brackets at the floor accessible by lifting out the rubber drink holders and it's out.
There is a brushed SS panel that covers the flat part of the dash. The lower extension is not flat but comes out to a peak like the top edge of the dash but smaller, and angles back at the bottom.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two bolts under the dash lip and two screws into angle brackets at the floor accessible by lifting out the rubber drink holders and it's out.
There is a brushed SS panel that covers the flat part of the dash. The lower extension is not flat but comes out to a peak like the top edge of the dash but smaller, and angles back at the bottom.
Sweet. I like the look of the dash "extension" too. Have a cardboard mockup in mine right now to see how I like it. Good place for the gauges and to wrap the steering column.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
Sweet. I like the look of the dash "extension" too. Have a cardboard mockup in mine right now to see how I like it. Good place for the gauges and to wrap the steering column.
I have some pictures somewhere of the console and extension in a more completed state. I'll look for them and post them when I find them. I put all my switches, 12V outlets and AC outlets in the extension.

I think I'm going to remove the gauge cluster hump in the dash and mount my gauges in the flat part of the dash.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Very nice work, definately well thought out!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I have a strong design background.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:25 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds56Effie
This is the stereo that was in my 56 when I bought it. I don't have a clue from where it was purchased but it operates with a remote and has great sound with a built-in speaker as well as speakers in both kick panels and under the seat as well. Looks pretty cool too!

just found this. I am looking for ideas for my 53. What kind of stations does it get? Do you have a cd player somewhere else? So closer look, this looks like an original radio/speaker housing that has a modern radio in it. What is the radio?

Old 07-05-2022, 08:43 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
10 YEAR OLD THREAD PAPPY

Old 07-06-2022, 02:29 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
Secretaudio SST - Secret Audio Hidden Radio | Classic Car Stereos

Im using this...with the face mounted in the dash