Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Avalanche/Escalade EXT....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 08:55 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ford doesn't really have anything to compare to the Avalanche or the EXT (thank God!) but I wanted to share a little something I heard about them. My body shop guy said that a friend of his who runs another shop told him that there was a book 2 inches thick describing all the various ways to repair those trucks to keep water from leaking into them. He also said that so far, NONE of those methods have worked. I don't know about you, but if I had laid out the money to acquire one of those Caddies, I wouldn't be a happy camper if the water came in.

Interesting tidbit I thought you'd all take interest in.........

Old 04-24-2003, 09:33 PM
94turbodiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never looked at either one (blick!), but my common sense always told me all of those moveable exterior parts would have to leak sooner or later. Why do you think you don't see too many guys taking the tops off of Broncos and Blazers?

Old 04-25-2003, 02:06 PM
F150daniel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Broncos and blazers" some people just don't know the top comes off or how to get it off. blazers leak worse than Broncos, it's the way they seal. Park a '79 Bronco and a '79 blazer side by side and compare.

Old 04-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster

Well, I know I did not know how to take off my roomates top on his bronco until I found this site. I had actually come to the conclusion that it did not come off.

Old 04-26-2003, 09:30 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Avalanche/Escalade EXT....

Ford did manufacture the Lincoln Blackwood but I think they discontinued it last year. That was a strange pickup/SUV or whatever you want to call it. Alot of magazines compared it to the Cadillac Escalade EXT.

Old 04-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster

Well there is always te sport-trac, that thing along with the avalanche, looks like crap.

Old 04-27-2003, 12:10 AM
ford_tr_man
Senior User

hey i had a sport trac and that thing looks sooo cool i loved it and it does not compare to the AV in any way

Old 04-27-2003, 10:40 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I kinda like the Sport Tracs too. I have ridden in one and they seem to be OK. They don't have the removable structural panels the way the GMs in question do. That's only one thing I like better about the Ford.........

Old 04-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Ultra Blue
Junior User

I've never worked on one but the guy that works with me at the shop said his buddy has one (Avalanche) and it sux for pulling a car. I've heard they ride good though. The Sport Trac's look cool when they are fixed up. Also the Blackwood is basically a SuperCrew but more sportier. I like the stuff inside beds on them. They are nice I think.

Old 04-30-2003, 12:50 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will someday own a blackwood...for any of ya that know me i restored a towncar a while back and love lincolns....i plan on 4wd conversion and lifting a blackwood someday. Anyhow, i hated the avalances when i first saw them, but its kinda starting to grow on me. i still won't buy one cause i don't like gm. But i don't think they look all tha bad lifted.

Old 04-30-2003, 04:05 PM
nobleman
Freshman User

Hey IOwnabasemodel, the Sport Trac Rules in every way. If Ford would have installed a .50 cal in the back, I'd be (edited for content) happy bricks all over the world. Since day 1, I've had chicks pulling me over, and unsure but wanting guys asking for reviews on the truck. 21 OUT OF 36 MONTHS AND ROCKIN', I'M KEEPIN' IT BABY!!

FYI everyone, a Blackwood is a Lincoln Sport Trac, and it's hideous.

As for the Avalanche, it's ugly. The Escalade is Caddie's version and looks better.

As for the water leaks, AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA serves them right.

I hate how everyone has come out with an SUT to answer Ford's innovation. Subaru, GM, and even a PT cruiser! Come on now, Ford only improved on the El Dorado, and that was years ago.

Last edited by Carlene; 05-01-2003 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi Ho
Senior User

The Lincoln Blackwood is based on the Ford F-150 SuperCrew. Article Here I think it looks very nice. The Avalanche is very ugly and it's all plastic.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:25 AM
nobleman
Freshman User

My mistake, it is an ugly F-150. Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Old 05-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The blackwood is a work of art....i want one.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Too bad they are going to discontinue the Blackwood, I thought the tailgate on that was awesome. I'd love to have one fro around the ranch where we don't need stuff banging around all the time. I'm not sure if one or both of the tailgate doors lock or not. THe Lincoln Blackwood is basically what everyone would do to there S/C if they had the money, I haven't ever ridden in one and I've only seen two of them and one had been rolled and it was in a junkyard so that doesn't give too much for comparison.

As far as the Crapalanche goes, I was riding in one when a hailstorm hit us and dented the little metal on it and cracked a FEW pieces of plastic, then it started raining and it poured so bad we had to pull over because it was washing over the highway. About five minutes into it water started leaking into the cab through a piece that had cracked earlier. After the rain stopped ther was a small amount of rain in the cab but it wasn't bad. What was really shocking was the supposedly rain resistant factory toneau cover. Total BS all of my climbing gear was completely soaked and mildew built up on my $150 ropes, total loss. Other guys lost some stuff too. The toneau on my truck seals perfectly and I have never had to deal with moisture in the box when I closed it in time. I think the actual caution for these drivers is parking it in the sun.......