6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Thoughts on First Long Drive......

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on First Long Drive......

Got truck early Jan and only 550 miles. Finally got to drive to cabin, just got there (4 hour drive) (still warming it up)

Drove great, love the truck, what a great ride. Can't wait to tow.....

- What the heck is that little compartment under the 12v outlet on the drivers side for? Best I could think was a place to put floss? Wish it would hold a cell, but not....

- Mileage was ok. From born date I was at 16.1 and it went to 16.3. Ok. /first highway driving. (at 70) thought I might have done better, probably should have reset on of the tirps...

Edit: third question..

- Was disappointed with the heaters on the mirrors. Don't know if they are not working or are weak... On my '04 the snow/ice would turn to water after a 1/2 hour or so. I had Ice on them for 3-4 hours (at 35 degrees) think the sun and temp finally melted them. Are they weak or should I have it checked?

Anyway, just rambling........

Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm just asking (not insulting), but did you have the mirror heater button on? Its right next to defrost button. I've used my mirror heaters and they seem to work okay.

You're mileage is what I'm getting right now this winter. I haven't seen 19mpg since we switched to winter diesel. It should go up this summer.

That pocket is used for the ash try option if you get the option. Otherwise, its a useless hole....

Glad you are enjoying your truck. I still love mine.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Toyhauler Tug
Senior User
Arent these trucks great?!?! We finally got to tow last weekend, see my post in the trailer towing section. Yep, a reset would have given you your highway mileage only. Under my 12 volt outlet is the keyslot for disabling the passenger air bag. You must have a CC which deletes this and they must put in a little cubby hole. Can you post a photo or two? Always been curious about the cabin from reading your posts!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jack_pine
- What the heck is that little compartment under the 12v outlet on the drivers side for? Best I could think was a place to put floss? Wish it would hold a cell, but not....
I put my radar detector mute button in there and a few business cards...filled it right up.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Toyhauler Tug has the correct answer.
The regular and extended cab trucks have the option to disable the front passenger seat air bag.
You can safely put a child seat in the back of a crew cab so there is no need to have the front passenger air bag disabled in the CC.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM
PITS
Elder User
I wondered why there was a plug with two wires attached to the back of the plastic cubby with NO CONTACTS to it. Thought it might be a power wire for an ash tray light or something but no power on it with or without ACC. The key switch now makes perfect sense.

I learned my one thing for the day...I can go to sleep now.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by Toyhauler Tug
Arent these trucks great?!?! We finally got to tow last weekend, see my post in the trailer towing section. Yep, a reset would have given you your highway mileage only. Under my 12 volt outlet is the keyslot for disabling the passenger air bag. You must have a CC which deletes this and they must put in a little cubby hole. Can you post a photo or two? Always been curious about the cabin from reading your posts!
Sounds correct, it is a little cubby, as you describe. Will try to do pics....Thanks.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I'm just asking (not insulting), but did you have the mirror heater button on? Its right next to defrost button. I've used my mirror heaters and they seem to work okay.

You're mileage is what I'm getting right now this winter. I haven't seen 19mpg since we switched to winter diesel. It should go up this summer.

That pocket is used for the ash try option if you get the option. Otherwise, its a useless hole....

Glad you are enjoying your truck. I still love mine.
Really? duh......... I thought they were always on..(on the 6.0 they were)..Will go out and check........

Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by kper05
Toyhauler Tug has the correct answer.
The regular and extended cab trucks have the option to disable the front passenger seat air bag.
You can safely put a child seat in the back of a crew cab so there is no need to have the front passenger air bag disabled in the CC.

Got, love this place and the truck

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Originally Posted by jack_pine
Really? duh......... I thought they were always on..(on the 6.0 they were)..Will go out and check........

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
So far I have found no use for the cubby hole in mine. I tried the business cards and I end up dunking them all over the drivers side floor mat. Nothing else fits in there so its just a waste of space for me. That cubby hole container thingy needs to come out if you are trying to get behind the dash, though. Same for the outlet on the other side of the console. There are screws behind those that hold down the bottom part of the dash panel. Without pulling the screws you'll never get behind it.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:56 PM
los341
Senior User

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
So far I have found no use for the cubby hole in mine. I tried the business cards and I end up dunking them all over the drivers side floor mat. Nothing else fits in there so its just a waste of space for me. That cubby hole container thingy needs to come out if you are trying to get behind the dash, though. Same for the outlet on the other side of the console. There are screws behind those that hold down the bottom part of the dash panel. Without pulling the screws you'll never get behind it.
I was thinking it would make a nice mounting location for the rheostat if I ever do the high idle mod.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 PM
PITS
Elder User
...That cubby hole container thingy needs to come out if you are trying to get behind the dash, though. Same for the outlet on the other side of the console. There are screws behind those that hold down the bottom part of the dash panel. Without pulling the screws you'll never get behind it.
Not exactly true. The 12v outlet on the left and the sync/usb panel on the right need to come out to expose the screws to the center dash panel. The cubby is in a different part of the dash.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
So far I have found no use for the cubby hole in mine.
I keep a small microfiber cloth stuffed in there. Use it to wipe the fingerprints off the NAV screen.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 AM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by glsurratt
I keep a small microfiber cloth stuffed in there. Use it to wipe the fingerprints off the NAV screen.
Now that's a good idea................

Quick Reply: Thoughts on First Long Drive......