1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Howdy from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 AM
'53 F100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I sold off the Torino to expedite the '53 project. I'll be pulling her into the garage in a couple of weeks. So now I'm trying to make a game plan on what needs to be done. I already have a 5.0 and AOD that will be going in as well as a 9" with .370 gears. I see a lot of people swapping front ends which begs the question, what's wrong with the stock front end? Is it simply a matter of a smoother ride? I see you can get 2" drop spindles for the stock suspension which is what I was originally thinking.

Thanks
Tod

Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 AM
bk53
Senior User
nice patina . have fun,
bill in rowlett w 53 f100 flathead 239 and ford-o-matic

Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel the stock front axle is just fine. Ya can ad disks and power easy enough. And lower it also like ya said. Does it have an engine in her now? Maybe a stuck old Y-block? Or better yet a Flat Head? Don't scrap it as someone will want it.

Have ya joined your state chapter as yet?

I love to follow these builds.

Ya didn't happen to see a Monkey Face for sale in your travels to go and get her did ya?
I'll be down that way soon and hope to bring one home with me.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM
'53 F100
Junior User
My truck didn't have a motor in it when I bought it. I was going to put the 5.0 and AOD in my Torino but since I dumped it I'll use them in the truck.

The patina was one of the reasons I picked this truck. My wife loves it so I might just give it a light sand and shoot it with some satin clear. I can always go with the good stuff later.

Regarding the front suspension, I know that it's personal preference, but since people are adding over 2 grand for a new Mustang 2 kit to their already expensive restoration, I was wondering if the stock suspension was horrible or if I can just use it and add disc and drop it 2".

Old 08-09-2012, 03:17 PM
StylEmon
Junior User
There must be something in the air, I just grabbed a old 49 F1 from FW this past weekend.
Welcome aboard, looks like about as good a start as mine.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM
John Peterson
Freshman User
I love that patina on your truck. I fact I would love to put a paint on my truck that looks like the original factory paint all sun washed out .

Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 PM
'53 F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I feel the stock front axle is just fine. Ya can ad disks and power easy enough. And lower it also like ya said. Does it have an engine in her now? Maybe a stuck old Y-block? Or better yet a Flat Head? Don't scrap it as someone will want it.

Have ya joined your state chapter as yet?

I love to follow these builds.

Ya didn't happen to see a Monkey Face for sale in your travels to go and get her did ya?
I'll be down that way soon and hope to bring one home with me.
Does anyone know if there is a Texas chapter?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to the very top of this page. Hold yer cursor over Forums for the pop up. Than click on chapters and scroll down to the chapter of yer choice Bud.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM
'53 F100
Junior User
Anybody know where I can get a 2" drop for the stock type front suspension?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Welcome to the forum...lots of great info and no shortage of opinions on any given topic, all given/supported with the best intentions. As for the front end, the stock straight axle was designed for a TRUCK...in 1953 a truck was used to haul things on less than optimal road conditions and at relatively slow speeds. Creature comfort was not a consideration. The leaf springs gave the axle plenty of travel to take those pot holes and the king pins allowed the upward forces from the wheels to be transferred to the axle. Ball joints and coil springs were for sissy CARs. Drum brakes were sufficient for the conditions.

Fast forward 59 years...average highway speeds have doubled, the road surface for the most part is smooth and level, trucks now compete with those "sissy" cars both for the road. No longer are these trucks used to haul hay and feed, they haul people and sometimes grocery bags, golf clubs, lawn chairs and a cooler...you get the idea. If you are on the highway today your truck will be competing with modern cars/trucks, the ability to move and to stop quickly are paramount.

Now we come to the point of whether you need a straight axle front end or a modern IFS. Many choose the straight axle, either for nostalgia sake or because their driving habits do not require the handling improvements of an IFS. Some owners will keep the straight axle and lower the front end with spring mods or a dropped axle but they add disc brakes to complete the "improved" package.

The IFS route will give you improved stance, easy ride, better handling, disc brakes, and an overall better system for your truck. Of course this route will lighten your wallet, but you and your wife will enjoy driving the truck much more with this setup. Many times I see truck owners keep the axle and start investing money/time into upgrades to compensate for the handling issues only to later say that they wished they had "bitten the bullet" at the start and bought the IFS. Lots of paths to take but the ultimate decision is yours...your vision for the truck is what will drive your decisions, the best we can do here on the FTE is share some of our insights and experiences. Good luck with your new project, you have made the first major milestone...the wife likes it!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey '53,
Charlie does a good job of outlining the case above for a modern Independent front suspension. We in fact installed a No Limit IFS in our 1950 F1 - Let me point out the realities we faced & whether upgrading your stock axle might be the better route.

Downtime - It's not as simple as just "pulling out" your stock axle & bolting in the Mustang II style IFS. It took us 4 months (really more like 6 ) - You are doing major frame cutting & welding to install most of the Mustang II kits, redoing the front brake lines & master cylinder, cutting out the old steering column & box, re-wiring, cutting inner fenders, re-installing motor mounts, transmission mounts, new tires, etc. etc. A lot of guys get to this stage & end up with a pile of parts after disassembling the truck & there it sits.

You can get a pretty nice ride by restoring your existing stock front suspension with new bushings, king pins, etc. Probably a couple of weekends of work - no major frame surgery. Add in a front disc brake kit & a Toyota power steering kit & you have most of the modern comforts.

Cost - Our kit cost $2600 including the front brake hardware - If you pay someone to install it add another $3000. A stock front end restoration is around $800 plus another $400 for the disc brakes.

Summary:
It's all about how you plan to use the truck - If you plan to barrel down I10 or 610 at 75mph in rush hour - I 'd load up that truck with modern equipment. If it's a weekender for Home Depot runs & cruising to Kemah I'd refurbish my stock front end & upgrade brakes.

Have fun over there - Looks like you have good truck.

Ben in Austin

Last edited by ben73058; 08-29-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
'53 F100
Junior User
Thanks for your input Charlie. Ultimately I would prefer the IFS but am hesitant about the amount of work required and I hate to sub out the work. I can weld a patch panel but don't feel confident about welding structural items where safety comes into play. Is there a bolt-on IFS kit? I've read about the Chassis Engineering system but they seem to stop at 1952.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
'53 F100
Junior User
Ben, thanks for your input. I'm really on the fence on this suspension. I want to be able to make road trips to Lake Travis and pull a small boat.

If I go the IFS route it might not be as bad as yours since I will be sand blasting my frame anyway. Plus I still have to install new motor mount and transfer mount to accommodate my 5.0 and AOD.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:43 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey 53, here is my two cents worth. There are bolt in IFS kits for your truck and they are worth the extra money with all new parts designed for your truck. If you were to keep your original chances are you would have to replace your 59 year old springs, shocks, kingpins, steering parts, brakes, bearings, and buy lowered spindles. The IFS kits will lower your ride by about 5 inches even with "stock" spindles. These kits will include disc brakes with 11" rotors (or bigger) and modern calipers all with part numbers that you can get at any auto parts store. You will also get rack and pinion steering, preferably power, that makes the truck much easier to handle in today's traffic. If you come into Houston much you don't want to be on 290 for the next few years while they completely redo it unless you have good brakes and something that handles well. Just my thoughts as mine will be my daily driver (someday).

Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM
StylEmon
Junior User
Who stocks that kit topmoo?

Quick Reply: Howdy from Texas