6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

1st Blackstone Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
p8ntballn2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Blackstone Oil Analysis

So after kicking the idea around of getting an oil analysis done, I finally decided to do it and send one in.. All in all it looked good, but i was a little concerned that there was 3% Fuel Dilution... their recommendation is no more than 2%. I always check my oil at least once a week and have never seen any creep or signs of more oil on the dipstick level. but as you can see their recommendation is to run it to 7500 miles.. so i'm gonna try that and send in another one.. can anyone else post up their reports to compare mine too.. comparable mileage would be nice.. but i just want to see where i stand compared to others.. i was deleted and tuned for the whole 5k miles on that oil sample

Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 5,000 mile analysis showed 1% dilution.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
How often do you use your truck for short or in-town trips? Everytime you shutdown the engine, the fuel left in any cylinders can potentially seep past the rings and end up in the oil when the engine cools. If you perform allot of short trips on a tank of fuel, you have a greater potential for oil dilution then someone who takes longer trips over the same distance.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Report is good overall...but do not increase your oil change interval! Keep it at 5K.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Hopefully he'll chime in here, but on another site he mentions it's his daily driver at about 7mi one way. Occasionally he will see a 30-50mi trip but the bulk of the miles is from 5-10mi trips.

Definite possibility that his driving habits are contributing to the oil dilution.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure the oil is hot when you take the sample, 120-130F or so. It makes a difference in the reading, apparently driving off some irrelevant volitiles that collect at shutdown and affect the flashpoint.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
p8ntballn2
Senior User
Originally Posted by smotrs
Hopefully he'll chime in here, but on another site he mentions it's his daily driver at about 7mi one way. Occasionally he will see a 30-50mi trip but the bulk of the miles is from 5-10mi trips.

Definite possibility that his driving habits are contributing to the oil dilution.

Truth.. I do many short trips.. but when its my DD, I dont really have a choice. i'm looking into getting another beater like i had about 2 years ago when diesel was @ $5/gallon.... i think another beater is in my near future..... i emailed them back and told them i would probably stick to the 5k interval changes.. its just piece of mind more than anything, they aren't the ones paying for the engine replacement when i blow this one up for running oil too long. i'm just under 3k away from my next 5k oil change, so i'm gonna do another test, and i'll post it up here.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Well just so happens i got my first oil sample report today and was thinking about posting it so i guess I'll post it here. I wanted to see how FS-2500 by-pass filter was during. Look like its doing good. probably a bad example for you to compare considering i have NO emission equipment left.... I had the TBN tested to see if i could run the oil longer to see if the additives were holding up. Funny i never told them I tow heavy but they nailed that one if they only know!!!!!

On edit: Mine is mostly towing 34,000 plus GCVW in the city stop and go. Above average idleing, i do have the SEC mod so my truck never idles less than 1200 rpm but it does idle alot. FYI i would'nt run extended intervals with out getting the TBN tested.

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Here's my first report with DPF deleted. I am very happy with it. As you can see I had a persistant dilution problem which ended with the delete. I can't account for the dilution in your oil except for maybe a poor oil change where part of the old oil was left in the pan. Or the filter wasn't changed. I have a hard time believing that there was no change in dilution level after you deleted. But, maybe what several folks on here are saying is accurate, the short trips. Problem with that theory is that all trips begin as short trips with a cold engine and then turn into long trips. I do think (and the EPA agrees) that the hot oil will "boil out" some level of diesel. That does not apply to bio-diesel BTW.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 PM
powerskull
Freshman User
I get confused. Is it the DPF or short trips that get fuel in the oil. I haven't gotten a oil analysis because it is pointless to me right now. I get my oil changed at 5K miles and drive it how I do. I try to let the regens complete but sometime i cant so i let the engine cool down before i turn it off.

After my warranty is up the DPF will be worried. Its annoying and it controls my driving life. How do we let this absurdity continue. I can't think of another consumer product that is so high maintenance. I don't blame Ford! leave it to the gov to take something so simple and reliable and screw it up!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by wp6529
Make sure the oil is hot when you take the sample, 120-130F or so. It makes a difference in the reading, apparently driving off some irrelevant volitiles that collect at shutdown and affect the flashpoint.
Fumoto valve is great for this. Highly recommend. No scalding oil dripping down your arm attempting to get sample past drain plug.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by powerskull
I get confused. Is it the DPF or short trips that get fuel in the oil. I haven't gotten a oil analysis because it is pointless to me right now. I get my oil changed at 5K miles and drive it how I do. I try to let the regens complete but sometime i cant so i let the engine cool down before i turn it off.

After my warranty is up the DPF will be worried. Its annoying and it controls my driving life. How do we let this absurdity continue. I can't think of another consumer product that is so high maintenance. I don't blame Ford! leave it to the gov to take something so simple and reliable and screw it up!
Both can cause oil dilution, but the oil dilution caused by the DPF is actually sure to sitting down in the middle of a regen sequence. Any time you shut the engine down, fuel left in the climbers can seep past the rings when the engine cools down. If you shut down your vehicle in the moselle of a regen sequence, you probably have twice as much fuel left in the cylinders that can them end up in your oil.

This is why its so important to either complete the regen sequence our put the vehicle in park and let it cool down long enough to get to idle temperatures. That way the only fuel left in the cylinders is a result of the normal injection stroke.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
powerskull
Freshman User
Originally Posted by smotrs
Both can cause oil dilution, but the oil dilution caused by the DPF is actually sure to sitting down in the middle of a regen sequence. Any time you shut the engine down, fuel left in the climbers can seep past the rings when the engine cools down. If you shut down your vehicle in the moselle of a regen sequence, you probably have twice as much fuel left in the cylinders that can them end up in your oil.

This is why its so important to either complete the regen sequence our put the vehicle in park and let it cool down long enough to get to idle temperatures. That way the only fuel left in the cylinders is a result of the normal injection stroke.
I totally get that. how does the short trips play in? It seems that those that are deleted don't have any fuel dilution problems at all and they, I would imagine drive short distances.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
What you have to consider is the motor and its workings. DPF/Regen is only part of the problem. Use is another.

This is a heavy boost motor. That is where the power is. Because of this the top piston ring is made to be loose. We all know heat expands things. When you work this motor hard then you have the seal needed to prevent this issue.

Same as missings some of the emissions stuff.

That is why I can tow heavy cross country with the DPF and still have no fuel dillution. I am building heat and therefore the seal to keep the fuel where it belongs.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by powerskull
I totally get that. how does the short trips play in? It seems that those that are deleted don't have any fuel dilution problems at all and they, I would imagine drive short distances.
Think about it this way. Let's say you drive your truck 50 mi to work (100 round trip) and another user drives his 5 mi to work (10 round trip). Both of you are deleted but the 2nd driver will have started and shut his down 10x more often then you. That means he will potentially have 10x more oil dilution then you.

This is actually what is happening to the OP even with his delete.

Quick Reply: 1st Blackstone Oil Analysis