1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Bed Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountaineers and Old Trucks

Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Hillbilly,
I hear you on the door weatherstripping - It's thick - I was told it will
get better as it ages a bit & the door will slowly squeeze it down. Hasn't happened yet - driver side is fine - passenger side barely closes & sits out from the truck noticeably. I guess you could try to adjust the latch - tough once it's painted.

Good luck over there. If you email me - I'll post up your pics for you.
ben73058@austin.rr.com. Look forward to seeing it go back together.

Ben in Austin
(Hope your West Virginia Mountaineers are nice to Baylor next week).
Hey Bud, no promises about the Mountaineers being easy. Gino seems to be on a roll as quarterback this year, so I feel certain no one will be holding back. I will send those pictures from my email. Thanks for the help in posting them. soon I will have my minimum number of posts and may be able to do it like a grown up soon.

Also, I agree with you about the weatherstripping. I don't think that stuff would compress if a good ole hillbilly woman sat on them through lunch!! They seem pretty dense to me. It is odd. Without no weatherstripping at all, my doors fit totally tight with no looseness in the doors at all, once closed. In fact, I need to be pretty forceful when shutting them as is.

By the way, the pictures I will send you is the truck in progress of assembly. I have already posted pictures prior to teardown, and will show one with the cab after media blasting to get off multiple layers of 60 years of paint.. I am pleased with the turnout so far and am pretty excited about getting it back together. I know it will be a sacrilege to many enthusiasts here, but I am going with it as a street rod sporting a 350HO/330 HP Chev engine from JEGS . you might have noted in some of the other pictures the truck sits lower in the rear. I replaced the original rear end with a 9" ford and a 350 gear with a Detroit locker. When I did that, I removed two of the leaf springs and installed the rear above the springs rather than below it which actually dropped it about 5". The front end is out of a '78 Volare whic helps the handling and steeering.

An "IDidIt" sterring column, Lokar nostagic shifter, rewiring to 12 volt, AC,, etc, has really made it a decent ride. The paint is the capstone so, I am getting toward the end of the major stuff.

Thanks for helping with the pictures. If you don't mind, I may send a few more once I get the front sheet metal installed and it looks more like the truck should look.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:48 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya don't need any certain number of posts to be able to post pic's on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Here are Hillbilly's restoration pics - Go Baylor just saying..

Ben in Austin

Attached Images      
Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
More Hillbilly pics...

Attached Images    
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow!! No fenders. Gonna be hard to keep her clean I think.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Ha. It does look like a hillbilly ride as is doesn't it? The fenders, hood, running boards, valances, etc, are painted and hope to hang the front tomorrow. I do HVAC normally and am an old fart so my progress is a bit slower than you guys that know your stuff. I will get there, but history shows I am not as fast as I ought to be. will send more as I pro-gress!!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
great looking truck! keep up the good work. love the color too.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Thanks. Hope to start bolting on the front end tomorrow. The color is a 2000 Dodge Viper Red sprayed over a white base coat. I have to admit, it is incredibly bright. Since that picture was taken it has been wet sanded with a 2000 grit paper and then compounded. The finish looks really good. Almost embarrased to admit it, but it was painted outside in my carport with those blue tarps hanging on three sides of the carport. amazingly, no trash in the paint at all. Will post more as it goes together.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
Nice looking truck!!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM
johnnydevil55
Senior User
i'll get to see this truck in person in a few days..thanks again larry!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Thanks Bryan. It has been a project for a while, but the bulk of the work has been in the last few months.. I did quite a chunk several years back, but got serious about it this year. AND, there is a really good chance I will have all the body parts on this thing by Saturday.

The bed is on and essentially complete, tailgate on and looking pretty spiffy. The hood, upper valance, grill, and upper fenders are partially on, but need to be bolted on along the rear seal. Allmost there.

Johnny, looking forward to meeting you. Have you settled on a day yet. You were talking sunday I think?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It's looking good! I really like the color.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Thanks Joe - I picked that color the first time I saw a red Dodge Viper. I knew when I got to the paint stage it would end up Viper Red. a few times I almost went a baby blue or a bright yellow, but it always came back to red. Sad to say, I would never buy a red vehicle, but this one was destined.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
johnnydevil55
Senior User
check yer email! i asked if wednesday would be better.. i'm off that day and can leave early in the AM to head out your way. probably a 6 1/2 hour drive for me.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Yes. I did get it. All good

Quick Reply: 1951 F1 Bed Question