General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Handicapped? Disabled? or just plain Fat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Gottaford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Michelle,

Maryland has NO open carry provision(s), unless you are a LEO, performing your lawful duties.
When "Plainclothed", a 'badge' or 'shield' must be displayed on the belt near the sidearm.

Concealed carry permits are very difficult to get in Maryland.
In Maryland, 'concealed' means. . . . concealed.

This particular friend is a retired U.S. Marshal.
I was just tryin to make a point, but thanks for letting me know.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
WOW! A lot of judging going on here. FTE is a tough crowd and I like that but damn.

None of us could possibly know what the man in the OP is going through and I guaranty that you don't want to experience it personally. Likewise, it's none of our damned business.

I would love for someone to say something to or about my bride some day with me in close proximity.

I don't want anyone here to think I'm pissed about the pre-judgements and stereotypes because I'm not. I'm not even shocked, just a little disgusted.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins

None of us could possibly know what the man in the OP is going through
Sure I do.......4 snickers, 2 mountain dews, and a large bag of chips per day......

and I guaranty that you don't want to experience it personally.
Well...Let me turn that back on you. How could you personally know that?

For all you know, the guy in the OP (who drives a nice SUV by the way) is a millionaire who's only problem is a taste for junk food and a weight problem......

............or not, but there ya go......

Likewise, it's none of our damned business.
Probably not.....But it makes for a fun thread.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Well, I'll throw a curve-ball into the conversation.

I'm 58 years old, and weigh 262#. I do not now, have never had, and hope that I never have the need of a handicapped placard. I've had 2 knee surgeries, a spinal fusion, 1 shoulder, 1 elbow, and 2 wrist surgeries. Yet except for 1 day after the first knee surgery when I needed to go to the grocery store, have never felt any tinge of need to take a handicapped spot that could well be used by someone that actually needed it.

Bass.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Force labor in working camps will solve the job and payments back to the working taxpayers.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
Sure I do.......4 snickers, 2 mountain dews, and a large bag of chips per day......

Well...Let me turn that back on you. How could you personally know that?

For all you know, the guy in the OP (who drives a nice SUV by the way) is a millionaire who's only problem is a taste for junk food and a weight problem......

............or not, but there ya go......

Probably not.....But it makes for a fun thread.
Steve, it is a fun thread! My wife is living that life right now. Over weight from pain and lack of mobility. It's tough to watch her like this but she's getting better.

If a person chooses to tough it out and not use the benefit of the parking pass then it's all good but it doesn't make the person who does use it any less of a person.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Tim. I know none of us are doctors, but based on your description of your wife's mobility issues, I trust that most of us can see folks who are in pain, or have difficulty walking. I also trust that none of us would give you or your wife any grief over it.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Gottaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
Force labor in working camps will solve the job and payments back to the working taxpayers.
WHAT?

@Tim .... opinions are like a$$ holes .... we all have one. Sorry if any of them discusted you. Solution? Don't read this thread.

@ Steve .... good answers to Tim's opinions.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
Tim. I know none of us are doctors, but based on your description of your wife's mobility issues, I trust that most of us can see folks who are in pain, or have difficulty walking. I also trust that none of us would give you or your wife any grief over it.
I know Steve and thanks. It wasn't my intent to divulge that much of of her medical history for the world to see. I can't disagree with anything that's been posted so far as I see folks whom I feel need the spaces and folks whom I feel are taking a space away from a person who really needs one.

Originally Posted by Gottaford
WHAT?

@Tim .... opinions are like a$$ holes .... we all have one. Sorry if any of them discusted you. Solution? Don't read this thread.

@ Steve .... good answers to Tim's opinions.
That's not very nice Michelle. I've come to expect better from you. But anyway, I respect your opinions as you have every right to be here, the same as me.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Even though this ^^ sounds a bit Draconian I don't know I disagree with it at all. Yeah it seems harsh at first read BUT wouldn't it be a great motivator to clear our welfare roles of those who are just lazy and undeserving of our help?

The less deadbeats we have on public assistance the better able we'd be to help those truly in need.

I THINK the handicapped placard system is a federally mandated program through the larger disability act but enforced locally? Please correct me where I'm wrong on this.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro

That's not appropriate. Not at all.

FWIW. . . . when I messed up my back, I TRIED to get Social Security.

Oh. . . my company has a "LTD" (Long Term Disability) program, that paid 65% of my salary, BUT, according to the plan, I MUST apply for S.S.

I was turned down TWICE. Once was while I was in the hospital, with 2 tubes running out of my back/spine, and tubes running into my left arm, and one stuck into another part of my anatomy (that you REALLY don't want to hear about).
Yes, I could have gotten a lawyer and sued for benefits, but, I would have to pay for that lawyer out of those funds, and I couldn't afford that.

So, for the 1-1/2 years of my life that I was out of work, we 'made do' with 65% of my meager salary (at the time). You see. . . 65% of nothing is still 'nothing'.
When I went back to work, I owed over $10,000 to the IRS, because of the way the 'plan' was written, and no taxes were taken out, by the plan administator!

My last comment on your statement. . . .
I AM a taxpayer, and the benefits that I have EARNED and PAID FOR. . . I should be able to COLLECT, when I NEED them.
You see, I've NEVER asked for a 'hand out'. I've paid my way, since I was a very young boy. (I've been in the workplace for over 40 years!)

Yes, capitals added for emphasis.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
FWIW. . . . when I messed up my back, I TRIED to get Social Security.

Oh. . . my company has a "LTD" (Long Term Disability) program, that paid 65% of my salary, BUT, according to the plan, I MUST apply for S.S.

I was turned down TWICE. Once was while I was in the hospital, with 2 tubes running out of my back/spine, and tubes running into my left arm, and one stuck into another part of my anatomy (that you REALLY don't want to hear about).
Yes, I could have gotten a lawyer and sued for benefits, but, I would have to pay for that lawyer out of those funds, and I couldn't afford that.
It's pretty unusual to get SSDI without the attorney. That's just the way the government plays the game.

What no one probably told you is that the most the attorney can get out of your back pay is $5,300 (or $5,800), I forget. And, your back pay starts accruing the 6th month after you apply. Generally, by the time someone goes through all the process and their disability is approved, they've accrued more than enough back pay to pay the attorney.

When I went cuckoo and applied for SSDI, I was denied twice, appealed before an Administrative Law Judge, was denied, sued in Federal Court, the ALJ's decision was overturned so it went back to him and he finally found in my favor. It took about 6 years.

My Long Term Disability insurance simply said I wasn't disabled, and found a few loopholes they could take advantage of, and told me to go **** off. And with an insurance company your only recourse is to sue on your own dime. So those 6 years I didn't have anything. If it weren't for Dad I'd have been in a shelter somewhere.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Gottaford
Elder User
That's not very nice Michelle. I've come to expect better from you. But anyway, I respect your opinions as you have every right to be here, the same as me.

Hey Tim, how can you respect my opinion and then cut me down for having given it? I didn't cut you down for giving yours. Actually, I just passed along a fact, and offered a solution. I didn't mean to ruffle any feather's although I am sure I will do that once in a while. I'm not perfect.

At Keith and David .... It took me three tries, each taking a year, to finally get SSI. My problem was that I didn't have a doctor's note saying that I couldn't work. Well, at the time I went to these doctor's I was either living at home or married and didn't need a note, and when I tried to get one later, they refused. They said it was because they didn't have a code number for my condition. (Long story). So, I went to the doctor's the SSI sent me to which was a farce. When I went up in front of the judge he asked me why I didn't have a lawyer and I said "Because it wasn't a sure thing." Then when he heard my story and also read several BS statements from the SSI doctor's ... I was passed. It took my brother several years to get SS disability as well ... and he was in a hospital and a rehab center with a horrific brain injury. I think they are hoping we will die while waiting so they don't have to pay.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gottaford
Hey Tim, how can you respect my opinion and then cut me down for having given it? I didn't cut you down for giving yours. Actually, I just passed along a fact, and offered a solution. I didn't mean to ruffle any feather's although I am sure I will do that once in a while. I'm not perfect.
Sorry if I offended you Michelle. I took both of your posts pretty wrong. Then again, words on a computer screen lack emotion and the true meaning can easily be misunderstood.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
My point is...the government helps the sorry and don't help the working class.

It's like our prison system, they get exercise equipment, a bed, a tv, etc and they still commit crime behind the bars. Take all of that away and put them on the chain gang.

I think the government needs to do more for the working class instead of hurting them.

I've seen many people who abuse the system even some whom have a job.

I think most Welfare needs to be cut back...people get hooked on it and never want to come off of it.