6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tuners & Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuners & Programmers

I'm sure there is already a thread about this somewhere. It's probably hard to find in the 1000+ pages of threads.

Superchips vs SCT? Also, what's your opinion on the cold air intakes? I have an 05' XLT and want it to breath a little better to help with the 100+ mile daily commute.

I'm looking for a programmer that can do the mileage tune, and then when I want to take out the trailer to go camping, tune it for towing.

Any suggestions on the best bang for your buck upgrades on a completely stock truck right now?

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dans2Fords
Superchips vs SCT? Also, what's your opinion on the cold air intakes? I have an 05' XLT and want it to breath a little better to help with the 100+ mile daily commute.
Hands down the SCT with a custom tune from either DP-Tuner or Gearheads. Both write stock motor safe tunes that won't lift the heads or blow the guts out of the tranny. Unless your planning on building over 500hp under the hood...keep the stock air filter & intake. You won't find a better set-up out there. You could go with a Cat-back exhaust to help the engine breath better and still remain emissions compliant.
I'm looking for a programmer that can do the mileage tune, and then when I want to take out the trailer to go camping, tune it for towing.
Whom ever your decided to buy your SCT tuner from...they can set you up with a couple of different tunes that will bring your engine/truck to life.
Any suggestions on the best bang for your buck upgrades on a completely stock truck right now?
Pump the tire pressure up to 80psi and good four wheel alignment will also reduce the resistance of the truck to roll. Roll up to and away from stop signs/lights. Stay on top of your PM's with OEM spec filters & fluids (not the will-fits). A bed cover will help with the wind drag. And the biggest help...slow down. Speed kills fuel mileage...PERIOD

Old 02-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
Yeah, it is hard to stay out of the pedal and do 80 like the rest of the cars on the road. I'm used to staying in the slow lane with the other big rigs.

Are you suggesting DP-Tuner or Gearheads to purchase the tuner from? I know there are several SCT tuners, I just wasn't sure the major difference between the couple of models that are compatible with the 6.0.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Yeah, it is hard to stay out of the pedal and do 80 like the rest of the cars on the road. I'm used to staying in the slow lane with the other big rigs.
Think of it as a relegous convection. It takes a while to convince yourself you can do it. But once you start, you'll notice the difference at the pump. Between that and a 2WD truck..that's how I'm averagine 19mpg right now. I'd get better mileage if I slowed down to 60-65 but that's a sitting duck on the interstate.
Are you suggesting DP-Tuner or Gearheads to purchase the tuner from? I know there are several SCT tuners, I just wasn't sure the major difference between the couple of models that are compatible with the 6.0.
Yip, when you talk to them tell what...if any...mods the truck has. They'll set you up with a tune that will (A) preform like you want and (B) not destroy the truck like a canned tune.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
Okay, so I'm looking on SCT's website and if I'm looking for tuning for fuel economy, would this one be worth it:

SCT Ford Economizer Ford Programmer
SCT Part Number: 3030
SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!

Then when I am going to tow my 26ft travel trailer, go back to stock? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy with this vehicle, that's what my other Fords are for.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Here is DP's site:

Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke

At the link you posted...if you read the red text right below where they're claiming 2-3 mpg you'll notice that one doesn't come with tunes. You have to purchase 'em separately. I looked around on DP's site for a bit...but I didn't see a price for custom tunes, just the SCT tuner.

And in all fairness, here's Gearhead's site:

Gearhead Automotive Performance

Looks like if you buy a SCT through them you get $50 off a custom tune. Understand, I run a completely stock tuned truck and like it. I know I could get some tunes for it that are stock engine safe. But I know once I start, I'll end up studding it, going bigger sticks (injectors), some wild turbo and who knows were from there building a tire shredding machine...not what I bought my truck for. Bought it for trailer duty and I'm happy with that.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
I was just looking for a little improved mileage. Currently I have a ficm problem where I'm getting 6-7 hwy and after I get that resolved, I should be around the stock 12-13. I know with some low restriction exhaust, and a programmer, these trucks can get 18-19, even 20 if you don't get into the pedal too much. At close to 600 miles a week, every little bit can help at the pump, just like you said.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Nazty 4X4
Senior User
I ordered the sct programmer 3015 with custom tunes from eric at innovative diesel on monday. It arrived on my doorstep tuesday. Plugged it in to obdII and within 10 min i was smoking tires and rolling coal. Very happy. I have a 03 6.0L .

Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
I know a lot of different threads have talked about a custom tune is far far better than the stock tunes you can get on programmers. My question is would it be beneficial to go with the "cookie-cutter" tunes until I can get more mods, such as low resistance exhaust, intake, etc...? Then after I get those mods (which will be a couple years) pick up the SCT tuner from DP tuner with a custom tune?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Innovative also sells and has programming for the SCT tuner. See here: SCT X3- Innovative Diesel Custom Tuned

Eric is well known for his custom tunes. I also tow a 5th wheel and use his Tow tune as well as Economy and Street. Once you see how much turbo lag is eliminated with a tune, you'll wonder why Ford didn't do this. It is usually recommended that you DO install a head stud replacement before you tune..... unless you feel lucky... ( well, do you feel lucky, punk?). Yes, THAT kind of lucky!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
Thanks for all the input everyone. I was just on SCT's website and the tuner I was looking at is not legal for use on vehicles in California. Will a tune from DP-Tuner be in the same boat since they use the SCT tuner with the custom tunes? Sometimes I hate living in California, oh wait..... I mean most of the time I hate living in California. :P

Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Dpollardsr
New User
Thumbs up In the market for a tuner also

Well I also see the not legal in California. I have friends that have bully dog and banks, and sct tuners. How do you get it to your doorstep is the question.?Putting on arp headstuds after 2nd blown head gasket, also Mbrp cat back ss 4" exhaust. BPD egr cooler new oil cooler blue spring kit and stc fitting upgrade. I tow a 40' Sierra sport fifth wheel, and want the economy for around town and the towing for extra HP and torq. If u come across a set up let me know. For now I bought a scangauge II, and edge insight CTS for the egt before and post.