I need a new wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Nicholai_reed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 73 highboy died while backing my friends boat up the other day, a few seconds later flames started coming out from under the dash. Thanks to the quick thinking of my friend to disconnect the battery, and having a fire extinguisher handy the truck was not badly damaged. Unfortunately the wiring harness is shot. Most of the wires under the hood that run along the firewall became one. Under the dash the original owner tried to add a factory AC unit and aftermarket gauge pod. He really wicked at the wires, and I think one or the other caused the fire. Now I need a whole new wiring harness I have a 77 donor truck but it’s not a direct plug in, and I’m missing a few things from it. Dose anybody know were I can get a complete replacement harness, or ideas, tips, tricks… I'm planning on replacing the entire wiring system, all the way to the taillights.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing new available for that year.

Time to hit the wreckers or at least check our classifieds.

Old 04-24-2003, 03:01 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Painless wiring sells a universal truck wiring harness. It is available in a 12 and 18 circuit version. I think it is about $300. Check out their web site www.painlessperformance.com.

Old 04-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Nicholai_reed
New User

I found a wiring harness at centechwire.com they call it "K-40F Ford Wiring Harness" has anybody put this on there truck? how hard will it be to install a complete new wiring harness? It looks like a mess to me. Junk yard stuff doesn't bother me, but if you have good things to say about this harness, I would love to know more.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:44 PM
twolfe
New User

Hi, I know this may be a little late and I apologize for that. I have a 68 F100 and have replaced the wire harness complete, I ordered the new harness from American Autowire for 219.00 complete with new fuse block and it is an 18 circuit system so that I can add power windows/locks air and other options that the truck did not have. Hope this is some help.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately though, there isn't anything available for the 70's truck which have many more options in them.

The closest is the *Centech harness* which can be seen by clicking my gallery link and scrolling to the bottom of the page to see the link to wiring harnesses.