Sponsored by:

Molded Mud Flaps ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
04exswanny
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Molded Mud Flaps ???

2004 Excursion Limited w/factory wheel flares - I am looking at options for mud flaps. Tried to order a complete set straight from Ford. No rear flaps found. Any ideas or pictures of what you have done? Thanking everyone in advance for your responses...

Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wound up getting mine from www.mudflaps.com. I got the black moulded ones for the front and rear, I believe they were around $20 per pair. They fit well and seem pretty descent. I couldn't find them very many places.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mine has the factory mudflaps.. they don't work so well. I thought they all had those though.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i have the ford ones, also had them painted to match the lower limited cladding color.

they work very well for me keeping the snow/ice off the running roads and keeping the sides of the truck clean in the summer.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 AM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will NEVER use molded mud flaps I had a set on my F350 and they rubbed the paint off the truck and russted the fender in 4 years.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

nice thing about the cladding is its plastic so even if it does rub, no issues. i dont plan on having mine off so running through the paint was not a concern. i do have to replace both sets though as i broke 2 of them(one front and one rear) when i took the broke ones off there was no damage thus far.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:11 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
My flaps are from Husky...

Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM
04exswanny
New User
Thanks all for the replies.... Ford says they can find only factory flaps for the front and none for the rear. It is the factory flares that's the issue.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

sometimes the ford ones will pop up on ebay from time to time. new old stock from dealers..ect

Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BuiltFordTough!
I will NEVER use molded mud flaps I had a set on my F350 and they rubbed the paint off the truck and russted the fender in 4 years.

Anti rust tip #98 Lay down clear tape over painted areas that parts like mud flaps will contact before installing the parts.

I forget the company that makes it right now but I use some nice thick very flexable clear tape all over my vehicles. I lay it down on the rockers where your feet rub all the time getting in and out of the truck. I put it on the paint like mentioned when installing mud flaps, plastic cladding, and any other parts that contact painted metal. Works like a charm and is not visible.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Ben FORD
Freshman User
I have had a couple molded ones get torn off when ice/snow builds up on them. Life in the North I guess.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:52 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
like I said, its not like the molded ones should be considered some holy grail... they suck pretty bad at keeping mud off the sides of the truck, I've had my ex hung up a few times and the whole side of the truck, the fenders, the running boards, everything gets covered in mud anyway. And the rears do not keep any gravel or mud off your trailer, either.

They look kinda nice cause they are factory, and they are probably better than nothing.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Ben FORD
Freshman User
I know what you mean. It's hard to find ones that look right and functional at the same time.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
like I said, its not like the molded ones should be considered some holy grail... they suck pretty bad at keeping mud off the sides of the truck, I've had my ex hung up a few times and the whole side of the truck, the fenders, the running boards, everything gets covered in mud anyway. And the rears do not keep any gravel or mud off your trailer, either.

They look kinda nice cause they are factory, and they are probably better than nothing.

What I have noticed over the years is mud flaps don't help so much for keeping dirt off the truck as much as they help keeping rock chips from happening on the lower doors and rockers. My 89 F250 that had nothing was chipped to hell on the bottom of the doors and rockers and was starting to rust bad. My 96 I put small flaps on and no more rock chips on the doors or rockers.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
If I towed a trailer like yours I think I'd want the big flaps or brushes that attach to the hitch... my flatbed and utility trailers just get pelted with stones, especially if I go down a gravel road, they get sandblasted.

I'm sure they help keep stuff off the fenders right behind them, but like my stock chrome tube running boards get covered in mud if I go down a muddy road, which gets annoying because then your feet get muddy just stepping into the truck, and it gets the bottom of my pants muddy the next time it rains and I step up or down, etc.

Clearly the only solution is to lift the truck 24" or more to get those running boards up out of the mud.

Quick Reply: Molded Mud Flaps ???