1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 Ford F-3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is a side view F3 bed, F1 fender, squared off running board(F3)
understand that it is just sitting in place. nothing is aligned or bolted up.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Here is a link to a thread of mine that has some more pics and discussion about this same situation. Maybe it will help a little. So far I haven't had any fit problems.I got some rear fender bolts that are a little off the holes, but that won't be a problem, just redrill some holes in the flange of the fender, no biggie there. hang on I goofed on the link.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uck-today.html there! 2nd times a charm!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Just a thought..some of you may think it looks wierd with the extra width, but I don't think it's as odd as you may picture in your mind.
No offence to your truck build because I think everyone is entitled to his own opinion of what looks good or not, but count me as one who thinks F-1 fenders mounted to an F-3 bed looks weird...especially viewed from the rear. Also, why would you want to deal with making F-3 running boards mate with the F-1 rear fenders when they will bolt on using an F-1 bed.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to a thread of mine that has some more pics and discussion about this same situation. Maybe it will help a little. So far I haven't had any fit problems.I got some rear fender bolts that are a little off the holes, but that won't be a problem, just redrill some holes in the flange of the fender, no biggie there. hang on I goofed on the link.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uck-today.html there! 2nd times a charm!

Thank you will definetly give me some food for thought.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
No offence to your truck build because I think everyone is entitled to his own opinion of what looks good or not, but count me as one who thinks F-1 fenders mounted to an F-3 bed looks weird...especially viewed from the rear. Also, why would you want to deal with making F-3 running boards mate with the F-1 rear fenders when they will bolt on using an F-1 bed.
well because it is what I have to work with, and your are right. Everyboby has an opinion...In fact I was at this Collector car place in Staunton,IL they have a '50 F1 and I would LOVE to have this truck! All the right stuff, all F1 body parts. And it looked so small to me! because I have been looking at my setup for almost 2 years now. I don't have $1500 for a new bed, another $1000 for fiberglass fenders or steel ones. I have to work with what I got for now. Maybe that will change later, who knows.
If I had an F1 bed in my back yard I would be doing something different.
I am not saying what looks good or not looks good. I am just saying that what I have will work, and they are not CHEVROLET fenders...
I am not saying to go one way or another, I am just opening the door to options. And if he had a set of F1 fenders setting there, I bet he would already have tried putting them up on the side of the truck. Gotta get back to work for now, I will check back in later guys. And btw! No offense taken!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Yeah I dont know if it would look bad especially if you cut and patched in F-1 running board ends to make everything fit in together nice.

BUT, for me I like the sound of non patched solid steel box and fenders and running boards, and that is why I am leaning very much towards to chop the frame to make F-100 parts fit. Its weighing out how origonal should I keep it and am I wreaking an F-3 by hacking it up? Thats all I need to weigh out. If I do go that route I will look for a 95 96, or 97 Ford F-150 rear end and change out the front end parts to get the same 5 bolt patter. Which really will solve alot of issues in finding wheels and solving my gear ratio, making it able to run smaller tires and still keep up with modern vehicles on the highway.

Everyones help really is appriciated, it really makes a difference especially when people have done it before.

BTW I love the look of your F-3/ F-1 haha and that really plays into why I would chop the frame.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Mattie2294
Its weighing out how original should I keep it and am I wrecking an F-3 by hacking it up? Thats all I need to weigh out. If I do go that route I will look for a 95 96, or 97 Ford F-150 rear end and change out the front end parts to get the same 5 bolt patter. Which really will solve a lot of issues in finding wheels and solving my gear ratio, making it able to run smaller tires and still keep up with modern vehicles on the highway.

Everyones help really is appreciated. It really makes a difference especially when people have done it before.

BTW, I love the look of your F-3/ F-1 haha and that really plays into why I would chop the frame.
Thanks. I had no problem "hacking" up my F-3. It's not original and now it's more valuable as an F-1. My guess is the 95-97 F-150 rear is too wide for your truck. An explorer rear would fit better but it's a 5x4.5 pattern. You could get the 5x4.5 pattern on the front if you went to a disc brake kit but if you want the 5x5.5 pattern you need a rear end out of a 57-72 F-100.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
well because it is what I have to work with, and you are right. Everybody has an opinion...In fact I was at this Collector car place in Staunton,IL they have a '50 F1 and I would LOVE to have this truck! All the right stuff, all F1 body parts. And it looked so small to me! because I have been looking at my setup for almost 2 years now. I don't have $1500 for a new bed, another $1000 for fiberglass fenders or steel ones. I have to work with what I got for now. Maybe that will change later, who knows.
I know all about working with what you have. My F-3 came with an old Dodge bed, no rear fenders, beat up running boards, and wasted front fenders. Basically, all I had was a cab, hood, and grille. It was easier to chop the frame and less expensive to purchase F-1 glass fenders, running boards, and a bed than to chase down the F-3 version of those parts.

This is what I started with:

Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I know all about working with what you have. My F-3 came with an old Dodge bed, no rear fenders, beat up running boards, and wasted front fenders. Basically, all I had was a cab, hood, and grille. It was easier to chop the frame and less expensive to purchase F-1 glass fenders, running boards, and a bed than to chase down the F-3 version of those parts.

Oh yeah I remember seeing that picture before! One thing I failed to realize, as I was in a hurry there at lunch time, I didn't think about the 3/4 ton axle along with F1 fenders, that would be a "no go" in my opinion.
Yes...working with what ya got isn't exactly always the way I would like to go. unfortunately with divorce, kids, child support, college expense starting this fall.
There isn't enough money left for anything...I don't know any other way.
But I refuse to give in to just sitting around in my own misery. I always find a way to get it done one way or another.
If I had it to do over again, things would be different, but that isn't gonna happen!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Thanks. I had no problem "hacking" up my F-3. It's not original and now it's more valuable as an F-1. My guess is the 95-97 F-150 rear is too wide for your truck. An explorer rear would fit better but it's a 5x4.5 pattern. You could get the 5x4.5 pattern on the front if you went to a disc brake kit but if you want the 5x5.5 pattern you need a rear end out of a 57-72 F-100.
Yeah im going to look for a 5x 5.5 rear end out of a 57 to 72 ! Hopefully it doesnt prove to be to hard

Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User

yeah now I dont feel like mine is in to bad of shape at all. I was alittle worried at the beginning seeing this doesnt make me worry at all. Nice job on the re build.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Oh yeah I remember seeing that picture before! One thing I failed to realize, as I was in a hurry there at lunch time, I didn't think about the 3/4 ton axle along with F1 fenders, that would be a "no go" in my opinion.
Yes...working with what ya got isn't exactly always the way I would like to go. unfortunately with divorce, kids, child support, college expense starting this fall.
But I refuse to give in to just sitting around in my own misery. I always find a way to get it done one way or another.
If I had it to do over again, things would be different, but that isn't gonna happen!
Hats off to you. keep plugging away. To every man there own. It will be your truck you did yourself and thats worth more then anything in my mind

Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I'm no stranger to money woes either. Try building a truck on social security income!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
So what would you think about a 1/2 ton rear end from a 1965 pickup non posi , 3.70 gear ratio ?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattie2294
So what would you think about a 1/2 ton rear end from a 1965 pickup non posi , 3.70 gear ratio ?
That'll work.

Quick Reply: 1952 Ford F-3 Build