Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for Self Testing the Ford Excursion or F250 Rear Parking or Back up Sensor System

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Solaratrd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tips for Self Testing the Ford Excursion or F250 Rear Parking or Back up Sensor System

So I've read a lot about the rear parking system not working. I've been trying to locate my issue without going to the dealer. Here are some tips that may help the do it yourselfer.

1. Rear Park button light "OFF" always on. - Seems to indicate system working and fuses good. Time to check problem in the rear.

2. Key on, Engine off, Park brake on, Put in reverse. ( don't park on hill )

3. Listen to each sensor. All should have same fast clicking/ticking noise.

4. If one seems different, Try swapping sensors around. This tests harness and sensors. If swapped sensor starts working, sensor that doesn't work is bad, If non-working sensor works in different location, Problem in harness or with the computer.

5. All sensors click the same and appear to be working? Time to look at the speaker.

6. Remove right upper panel next to right rear glass. Remove speaker connector. Take a 194 bulb ( same as a marker bulb ) using you finger nail, pull down and out the small terminals of the bulb. They should make small pins to stick into the speaker harness connector. With bulb installed in place of the speaker. Turn on, put in reverse. "off" light should be off. Go check rear sensors by walking slowly into range. As you get closer the light will be very dim and should get slightly brighter when you block a sensor. Apparently the 194 bulb has the same resistance as the speaker. Now you know everything works. Speaker is bad.

7. Ok... Speaker hard to find and expensive? I took my old Nextel phone, Removed the large speaker and tossed the rest. Removed the ford speaker and desoldered the connector pins. Resoldered them to the Nextel speaker and installed it into the speaker housing. Key on, Reverse.... BEEEP. Now "back" in buisness.

8. I've read on other forums that any small speaker will work. Cheap ones for mp3 players are easy to find. I also read that the recording greeting cards may also work. I just happened to have an old phone.

Good luck, I hope this helps people fix the park assist.