Sponsored by:

2002 EX Spit #4 spark plug - any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Not true, lot's of people have used other tools with success. No I don't trust you.
I'm open to other suggestions. As its just a matter of time until other plugs fly out. Do you have any sources.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by onebighangoverguy
I do not have input on how to fix a Plug blow out, but how would you prevent one?
sorry not trying to hijack the thread. will start a new one.
This has been hashed over already in here and the general opinion (and mine) is that the plugs were either too tight or too loose. I believe it is usually caused because there are a lot of cylinders and people get distracted when changing plugs and leave one finger tight. You might get away with that on an old Chevy 350 but not here.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by chetspencer
If you use a non approved insert it will fail. I know this for a fact so trust me. Good luck.
Simply put, this is FALSE information. Please stop spreading bad info.

Originally Posted by chetspencer
Sorry for not being more detailed. I had a plug blow out on my 03 F250 5.4L
So I took it to a local Shop and they put a steel "helicoil" type insert in and only charged me $250. It only lasted 2 months.
It failed because Helicoil does not work on these applications. Helicoils just don't hold well in these Ford aluminum heads.

This is a helicoil. A coil inserted into the old plug hole, creating theads.

An insert, like Timesert, is a solid threaded bushing that mounts in the hole.

Ford has done thousands of these.
Yep, Ford dealerships have done quite a few. Do you know what was used before Lock-N-Stitch became the Ford Motor Company approved way of fixing spit plugs?

Dealerships would use a different insert, like Timesert.

Do you know why Lock-N-Stitch was chosen as the Ford approved insert?

One reason is because the inserts are aluminum, so there is very little heat variable when it comes to heating and cooling at the same rate as the aluminum heads.

Originally Posted by landk00
127,000 miles on the 2002 Ex. Does anyone have a recommendation on which sert to use with head still on the engine? The number 4 plug is somewhat under the firewall not as bad as number 5.
Lock-N-Stitch really are excellent inserts, but if you don't have the cash for them, you can use a Timesert too.

Originally Posted by onebighangoverguy
I do not have input on how to fix a Plug blow out, but how would you prevent one?
sorry not trying to hijack the thread. will start a new one.
No need. This has been covered many, many times over the past 7+ years.

Change your plugs on a cold engine and torque the plugs to 12 to 14 ft lbs of torque.

Stewart

Edit: It has come to my attention the original, accepted torque values have been changed and updated through trial and error over the past few years, so do your homework before torquing!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 06-12-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the problem with the Helicoil is that it's not conducive to that violent environment due to it's comparatively flimsy construction. It would be fine in a stable situation such as an engine block with a pulled thread, etc.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM
landk00
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I have to use the Lock-N-Stitch repair kit by Full-Torque or are there others that are just as good?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:07 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The Timesert kit is popular with the high performance crowd on engines that see high boost and nitrous use. The insert is aluminum so it expands and contracts with the head. The tool that comes with the kit swages the last two threads and locks the insert in place to keep it from backing out. The install is a little more detailed and the kit is a little pricey at a little under $400 but IMO there are just some cases where you get what you pay for. To do it on the vehicle with head installed you'll need to deal with the shavings. Grease on the tools to hold the shavings and vaccum with a small hose is needed. A borescope to check down the plug hole for shavings is a good idea.

Some Timesert info

ModularHeadShop Articles on TimeSert Installation

ModularHeadShop Articles on TimeSert Abuse

Old 02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by landk00
Do I have to use the Lock-N-Stitch repair kit by Full-Torque or are there others that are just as good?

Musta missed post #18 above, eh?

Or you can skip it (again, ) and just read post #21 below yours.

Stewart

Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by EXv10
I think the problem with the Helicoil is that it's not conducive to that violent environment due to it's comparatively flimsy construction. It would be fine in a stable situation such as an engine block with a pulled thread, etc.
I completely agree, Brent.

Helicoils work really well for other applications, just not this one.

I've read about many, MANY failures over on the L forums years ago, but very few insert failures. And the few insert failures that happened were usually caused by installer error, which allowed the whole bushing to be pulled out. Once they were reinstalled and reseated properly, they were fine.

Stewart

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I recall correctly all the heads before 2003 only had 4 threads. The heads after 2002 had 8 threads. This is the problem.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:49 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The line was the 03' MY for the extra threads. Some guys with 03' MY trucks have reported not having the extra threads. So I take that as Ford bled off excess casting inventory until they were gone.

Its the same deal with the 3Vs and the switch in plug/head design in the 2008 MY. At the least the part number for the 2Vs is the same, the 3Vs have two different plug designs and part numbers which can make it tough for guys with 08' MY trucks as they have to figure out which design they have before they order the correct ones.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by UrbanXX
If I recall correctly all the heads before 2003 only had 4 threads. The heads after 2002 had 8 threads. This is the problem.
Correct, but the true problem is improper installation.

The less threads makes the margin for error on the install very small. Stay within the margin and you're golden.

Originally Posted by dkf
The line was the 03' MY for the extra threads. Some guys with 03' MY trucks have reported not having the extra threads. So I take that as Ford bled off excess casting inventory until they were gone.
I've heard the same thing.

Stewart

Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM
landk00
Cross-Country
repair in Peoria AZ area?

Does anyone do the in car repair in Peoria AZ area?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
blksnapper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this same problem two months ago. My husband heli-coiled the plug back in. Only problem with that is it had been done before. I had to have my head redone cost me $2,000.00 and that is not dealer price! Now mine runs worse than it did before the "repair" job. Hopefully you will have better luck than I have had, about fed up with this thing!!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seen a "Kit" for GM cars at Advance Auto Parts for 59.00. A weird set up that would probably work for a while but I would not want to get a long ways from home useing it.
It looked like a Non-fouler insert and had a spark plug in the kt that had a long tube instead of a tip on the end. I suppose this insert would just cut new threads as it went in and then you screwed the plug into the insert. Not the best choice but a workable solution. These things sometimes stay in and sometimes don't. Not my way of fixing a problem such as this but a cheap way.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I completely agree, Brent.

Helicoils work really well for other applications, just not this one.

I've read about many, MANY failures over on the L forums years ago, but very few insert failures. And the few insert failures that happened were usually caused by installer error, which allowed the whole bushing to be pulled out. Once they were reinstalled and reseated properly, they were fine.

Stewart
I'm not a fan of helicoil repair anywhere that a timesert can be used. I bought a used chainsaw and the bar studs stripped out soon after I bought it. Got to looking at it and they had both been helicoiled. Bought a timesert kit and have used the crap out of it ever since with no problems.

Here's where I used them on my chainsaw if anyone cares:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/172806.htm

Quick Reply: 2002 EX Spit #4 spark plug - any suggestions