6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

HPFP detailed FACTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
What is really incriminating is the Bosch presentation, pages 10 & 11, where is shows that only going from 460 HFRR scar to 500 reduces pump life to 20% of normal expected life. In terms of being realistic, I think it may be easier to get our fuel to < 460 HFRR that to get Ford (Bosch really) to improve the pump.
What I'd really like to see is a more up to date test of the various diesel additives gauging the HFRR improvement. I believe that if we use demulsifiers and sufficiently good lubricity enhancers, our pumps will probably last the life of the engine. But that probably means running fuel with lubricity < 460.
I'm curious about what effects running 1% soy bio in the winter might have in cold regions. The soy biodiesel far outperformed any additives in terms of lubricity, at least at the 2% level used in the diesel additive test, I think referred to as the Arlen Spicer test. In that test, 2% bio decreased the HFRR scar to 221 microns. While 1% would likely show somewhat less improvement, it would most likely put our 500 micron fuel down below 400 micron in the HFRR.
Any great ideas out there about how to test this for cold weather suitability, other than just dumping it in and hoping for the best? I'm not even sure where to find quality 100% soy biodiesel. I do think that running it with a good demulsifier would be prudent.
Until there is a new test done that proves otherwise, I'll stick to adding Opti-Lube XPD since it was the next best compared to the bio. Hopefully the HFRR of 317 is somewhat accurate.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rickatic
...but then you run into dopey dealer number one for me and consolidated's dealer and they bring up biodiesel as the cause for the failure and warranty denial...even though the big badges on the fender say B20....

Put a pump on it that meets US specs...end of problem...

Regards
I'm not likely to get a pump that meets US spec for my truck so I'm looking for something I can do. If they'd reject my claim for 1% bio, they'd have a new set of problems.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not likely to get a pump that meets US spec for my truck so I'm looking for something I can do. If they'd reject my claim for 1% bio, they'd have a new set of problems.
...not disagreeing at all...but the die gets cast before anyone really knows the fuel specifics and then the owner is left with the proof issue. I was actually challenged by the Ford Customer Service dopes to prove I never had a WIF indicator event...

Regards

Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 AM
suprdtydvr
Freshman User
I found this a while ago. If you read the article it basically says that running as little as 2% Biodiesel will have the largest improvement in the wear scar test and get well below the manufactures' specification of 460 microns. Pay attention to the statement from Stanadyne.

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/f.../Lubricity.PDF

Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 AM
suprdtydvr
Freshman User
Another side point, admittedly anecdotal, looking around at Duramax forums this past weekend I was unable to find much complaint at all about HPFP failure. The Duramax uses the same HPFP however the filtration prior to the HPFP is different. I think this has led some to suggest that the filtration that the Duramax uses is better.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
...not disagreeing at all...but the die gets cast before anyone really knows the fuel specifics and then the owner is left with the proof issue. I was actually challenged by the Ford Customer Service dopes to prove I never had a WIF indicator event...

Regards
... at which point I'd quickly point out how absurd to prove a negative and that the burden of proof was upon them to prove that I did. If their firmware doesn't store that info, not my problem. Perhaps the engineers didn't feel there was any value, that the filter would stop the water, and I believe that to be true as long as it's not emulsified.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

... at which point I'd quickly point out how absurd to prove a negative and that the burden of proof was upon them to prove that I did. If their firmware doesn't store that info, not my problem. Perhaps e engineers didn't feel there was any value, that the filter would stop the water, and I believe that to be true as long as it's not emulsified.
dt matter as lo no

Water in fuel light should not matter as long as it is drained.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... at which point I'd quickly point out how absurd to prove a negative and that the burden of proof was upon them to prove that I did. If their firmware doesn't store that info, not my problem. Perhaps the engineers didn't feel there was any value, that the filter would stop the water, and I believe that to be true as long as it's not emulsified.
Bob

We are on the same side in this discussion segment...I wish I could agree with your premise, above in red, but my worldly experience tells me different.

I discussed the very issues you are referencing with 2 different Ford Customer Service Stupidvisors. There answer was always " Sir, you prove you did not have contaminated fuel or you prove you never had a WIF indicator event". I received the same message when the woman from Ford Executive Offices called me to rub salt in the wound.

Keep in mind that until a few weeks after my shameful Ford event, the capability for the Ford IDS system to retrieve the WIF indicator history did not exist. There was discussion amongst the Service Manager at Shepherd's and the FSE about pulling the PCM from my truck and sending it to Ford's Dearborn Research Facility to see if they could somehow retrieve the WIF data from the PCM. Because I knew they would not be able to find a WIF event, because there never was one, I enthusiastically agreed to the procedure. In less than an hour, that option was pulled from the table and it was back to the customer has to prove his case. Coincidence...not likely...realization that they had backed themselves into paying for the warranty repair when they found no WIF event...very likely...

The Ford FSE never opened the bottled water container that POS dealer number one produced with an ounce of water in the bottom. He also did not take the sample to be analyzed. I was told the proof was my responsibility and would be on my dime.

Shame on Ford

Regards

Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

What is really incriminating is the Bosch presentation, pages 10 & 11, where is shows that only going from 460 HFRR scar to 500 reduces pump life to 20% of normal expected life. In terms of being realistic, I think it may be easier to get our fuel to < 460 HFRR that to get Ford (Bosch really) to improve the pump.
What I'd really like to see is a more up to date test of the various diesel additives gauging the HFRR improvement. I believe that if we use demulsifiers and sufficiently good lubricity enhancers, our pumps will probably last the life of the engine. But that probably means running fuel with lubricity < 460.
I'm curious about what effects running 1% soy bio in the winter might have in cold regions. The soy biodiesel far outperformed any additives in terms of lubricity, at least at the 2% level used in the diesel additive test, I think referred to as the Arlen Spicer test. In that test, 2% bio decreased the HFRR scar to 221 microns. While 1% would likely show somewhat less improvement, it would most likely put our 500 micron fuel down below 400 micron in the HFRR.
Any great ideas out there about how to test this for cold weather suitability, other than just dumping it in and hoping for the best? I'm not even sure where to find quality 100% soy biodiesel. I do think that running it with a good demulsifier would be prudent.

Yes...I agree. Having the US diesel fuel with the 460 or 400 would be GREAT. If would definitely offer a less chance of getting poor fuel. I like the idea. Of course...to get this to implemented...eek!

So...I would have to agree with rickatic...with developing a HPFP fuel system with a greater margin of error for US diesel fuel.

Hopefully FORD is watching FTE...and the consumer concerns. HINT...HINT...HINT...

biz

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Bob

We are on the same side in this discussion segment...I wish I could agree with your premise, above in red, but my worldly experience tells me different.

I discussed the very issues you are referencing with 2 different Ford Customer Service Stupidvisors. There answer was always " Sir, you prove you did not have contaminated fuel or you prove you never had a WIF indicator event". I received the same message when the woman from Ford Executive Offices called me to rub salt in the wound.

Keep in mind that until a few weeks after my shameful Ford event, the capability for the Ford IDS system to retrieve the WIF indicator history did not exist. There was discussion amongst the Service Manager at Shepherd's and the FSE about pulling the PCM from my truck and sending it to Ford's Dearborn Research Facility to see if they could somehow retrieve the WIF data from the PCM. Because I knew they would not be able to find a WIF event, because there never was one, I enthusiastically agreed to the procedure. In less than an hour, that option was pulled from the table and it was back to the customer has to prove his case. Coincidence...not likely...realization that they had backed themselves into paying for the warranty repair when they found no WIF event...very likely...

The Ford FSE never opened the bottled water container that POS dealer number one produced with an ounce of water in the bottom. He also did not take the sample to be analyzed. I was told the proof was my responsibility and would be on my dime.

Shame on Ford

Regards
Making you prove that Ford is responsable seems like it would warrent a motor vehicle inquiry to see if this is accectable.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
cford716
Elder User
I am not picking any sides here, just an observation.

If a manufacturer (Bosch) produces a product with said specs and the buyer of that product uses it knowingly in conditions that will not meet those specs, the buyer (Ford) is then ultimately responsible if it fails, not Bosch. Bosch has no reason to improve the product as long as they keep buying them. And unless there is a another pump out there to replace it then Ford, Chevy, etc are stuck with it since that would mean stopping production without it, which will never happen. I am sure there is constant product development but they are not going to expedite it unless something major happens here and they are forced to.

I say if because I have never seen in print what the specs on the pump are, just what people have said.

Not that I agree with what is happening but this isn't a perfect world. I don't see anything changing with this fast. You have a better chance getting fuel quality improved I think.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Why can't you just relocate the pump closer to the engine, and put a lower pressure pump with a larger diameter pipe closer to the tank?

Run the pickup pump at a lower pressure, and put a filter on that line, along with a really good WIF system.

Then feed the cleaned up diesel to the High pressure pump?

Is the HPOP in the fuel tank or something?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
GZip
Senior User
Originally Posted by lexustbs
FPPF Fuel Power - Water Dispersion - YouTube

that video right there is the death nail in the coffin for that product! Mix in FPPF and our stuff will send that water right on through. ha! What dummy would believe that video is a good demo?

Not necessarily true. If the water can be chemically altered by reaction with elements in the additive, then it is removed as opposed to emulsified. I think that the XPD additive works in this way.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
There is no HPOP on a 6.4 or 6.7 engine, they use HPFP and it is mechanically driven off the engine.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
Yes...I agree. Having the US diesel fuel with the 460 or 400 would be GREAT. If would definitely offer a less chance of getting poor fuel. I like the idea. Of course...to get this to implemented...eek!

So...I would have to agree with rickatic...with developing a HPFP fuel system with a greater margin of error for US diesel fuel.

Hopefully FORD is watching FTE...and the consumer concerns. HINT...HINT...HINT...

biz
While I can't argue that a HPFP up to the task of digesting fuel with worse than 520 micron scar isn't the ideal solution, I don't think that is in our near future. With that in mind, and based upon my opinion that the HPFP failures such as Ricatic's are due to insufficient lubricity, I'm going to continue adding more lubricity to my fuel. I've been using the Stanadyne but I'm going to be ordering some the the XPD based upon the results of the Spicer study. It may be a bit out of date but it's all I have to go on. I'm also going to try to find out what I can about the viability of running 1% conola or soy biodiesel in the winter. Both have significantly better lubricity than XPD and you never know when you get a tank of "dry" fuel. Buying top tier fuel and adding lubricity and a demulsifier is about all I can do, I don't think Ford is going to give me a new, improved HPFP.

Quick Reply: HPFP detailed FACTS