Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why dont you sell that truck...well because of the smell!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
RJJP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by octaneforce
so in 2008 ford still had a pushrod truck motor? i need to educate myself on the newer stuff. im not trying to flame you whatsoever. im a bigger fan of pushrod motors than sohc/dohc motors. good luck with your next build on it
They still have a pushrod motor, PowerStroke.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I honestly don't smell any odd "old" smells, but hey I try to keep it clean on the inside, I do however smell gas fumes every so often...but what ever, I love older trucks like these because you could get them in manuals...once I get enough saved up im gonna either convert to a manual or buy another in manual...

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
[QUOTE=octaneforce;11372016]
Originally Posted by fosgate forever
No

so in 2008 ford still had a pushrod truck motor? i need to educate myself on the newer stuff. im not trying to flame you whatsoever. im a bigger fan of pushrod motors than sohc/dohc motors. good luck with your next build on it
I agree, i'm not a fan of anything modular, pushrods are for me. The 6.4l is a 4v pushrod engine.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM
732t37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Fosgate, I don't disagree with you that modern engines can do things the old ones never could. But I don't think most truck owners care very much about what their WORK TRUCK can do on the racetrack. For me, it's more important that it runs than that I can beat you away from a stoplight. I'm not going to beat anyone with my load anyway.

Anyway dude, what's your truck smell like?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 PM
732t37
Elder User
What i meant by "required" is after it rolls off the lot, its not required to have anymore. tuners easily turn off that function.
No kidding. Tuners can turn off all sorts of stuff. But how're you going to explain yourself when you get pulled over, ticketed, and threatened with impoundment for not being in compliance with emissions rules? Again, this is serious stuff, not fun at the racetrack. I really couldn't care less about how much fun of a toy an engine is.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Originally Posted by 732t37
Hey Fosgate, I don't disagree with you that modern engines can do things the old ones never could. But I don't think most truck owners care very much about what their WORK TRUCK can do on the racetrack. For me, it's more important that it runs than that I can beat you away from a stoplight. I'm not going to beat anyone with my load anyway.

Anyway dude, what's your truck smell like?
It smells like old ford and vanilla

No kidding. Tuners can turn off all sorts of stuff. But how're you going to explain yourself when you get pulled over, ticketed, and threatened with impoundment for not being in compliance with emissions rules? Again, this is serious stuff, not fun at the racetrack. I really couldn't care less about how much fun of a toy an engine is.
How are they going to know if the truck is not spraying urea? They cant hook up anything to the truck to verify so i'll take my chances.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
732t37
Elder User
They cant hook up anything to the truck to verify so i'll take my chances.
I don't know what neck of the woods you're from, so this may be true in your case. Most places they can, though. I used to be like you and take my chances- it seems like a good idea but it gets ridiculous after a while because they always find more than 1 thing wrong if you get pulled over.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
I don't know what neck of the woods you're from, so this may be true in your case. Most places they can, though. I used to be like you and take my chances- it seems like a good idea but it gets ridiculous after a while because they always find more than 1 thing wrong if you get pulled over.
Road side checks are only visual, and being from kommiefornia we have the most insane smog laws as well as rolling smog checks, though they are 100% subjective. No officer may inspect anything by means of device or from the interior of a vehicle without a warrant.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 AM
732t37
Elder User
Ever heard of inspection stickers, which can easily be seen with the naked eye and no warrant?

Bottom line, you can choose to believe it or you can choose not to. I choose to because I've been through it and seen it with my own eyes. I have a stack of traffic tickets to prove it. My experience is that electric diesels are more expensive to maintain, and less reliable, than either IDIs or gassers. Due to whatever differences there may be between you and me, climate, weight of right foot, size of wallet, etc; your situation may be different and I gather your contention is that it is. Noted.

Further evidence that you and I have different needs when it comes to reliabilty and how much we value it over performance, is the fact that, by your own admission, you blew up your engine with HP mods. I would never do that because stock HP is much more than I need, and that's for 12,000# trucks. However, your truck would have beaten mine hands down and we both would have been happy with that outcome.

Any news about smells?

I spilled diesel fuel all over myself today and it got into the interior of the truck when I drove home. It's a welcome addition to the smell mix, although I'm afraid certain passengers may not find it as delectable as me.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:37 AM
RJJP
Senior User
It smells like old ford and vanilla
Damn, I was going to guess it smelled of diesel.
Road side checks are only visual, and being from kommiefornia we have the most insane smog laws as well as rolling smog checks, though they are 100% subjective. No officer may inspect anything by means of device or from the interior of a vehicle without a warrant.
I thought they could ticket you for excessive smoke, 650hp 6.4 has got to roll some serious coal at WFO, or at least haz pretty bad.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 AM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Ever heard of inspection stickers, which can easily be seen with the naked eye and no warrant?

Bottom line, you can choose to believe it or you can choose not to. I choose to because I've been through it and seen it with my own eyes. I have a stack of traffic tickets to prove it. My experience is that electric diesels are more expensive to maintain, and less reliable, than either IDIs or gassers. Due to whatever differences there may be between you and me, climate, weight of right foot, size of wallet, etc; your situation may be different and I gather your contention is that it is. Noted.

Further evidence that you and I have different needs when it comes to reliabilty and how much we value it over performance, is the fact that, by your own admission, you blew up your engine with HP mods. I would never do that because stock HP is much more than I need, and that's for 12,000# trucks. However, your truck would have beaten mine hands down and we both would have been happy with that outcome.

Any news about smells?

I spilled diesel fuel all over myself today and it got into the interior of the truck when I drove home. It's a welcome addition to the smell mix, although I'm afraid certain passengers may not find it as delectable as me.
We dont have inspection stickers, i'm sure this varies to state to state. So i'll keep on doing what i'm doing. Breaking **** is just part of the way it goes, everything I have gets raced, trucks, cars, bikes, boats etc
Originally Posted by RJJP
Damn, I was going to guess it smelled of diesel.

I thought they could ticket you for excessive smoke, 650hp 6.4 has got to roll some serious coal at WFO, or at least haz pretty bad.
It wont be long until it does, day job is a fuel meter tech and I regularly get covered in diesel. Imagine going to the gym and getting to sweat out the diesel trapped in your pores

I got a few excessive smoke tickets in my 00, but none in my 08, I dont drive my race tune on the streets unless there is an upcoming street legal event. Its too much power to be usable, my other tunes hardly smoke. City buses smoke more then it does on the extreme street tune.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
732t37
Elder User
It wont be long until it does, day job is a fuel meter tech and I regularly get covered in diesel. Imagine going to the gym and getting to sweat out the diesel trapped in your pores
That's always fun. I can never get it out after any less than 3 showers and 3 days. When I have to PM the trucks at work I always try to do all the fuel filters on the same day so I don't have to go through repeated cycles of exorcising the No. 2 fuel oil smell demon.

After it gets weaker and you get used to it, it's still really strong to other people. To be honest, the smell of No. 2 fuel oil is the only thing I can think of that lingers nearly as long as skunk perfume.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Mine smells like Miller light... friend left a 12 pack in the back seat overnight, a very cold night. Only 9 survived.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
That's always fun. I can never get it out after any less than 3 showers and 3 days. When I have to PM the trucks at work I always try to do all the fuel filters on the same day so I don't have to go through repeated cycles of exorcising the No. 2 fuel oil smell demon.

After it gets weaker and you get used to it, it's still really strong to other people. To be honest, the smell of No. 2 fuel oil is the only thing I can think of that lingers nearly as long as skunk perfume.
I'd say JP8 is worse then diesel, almost they are nearly the same composition. It just has a more potent smell, one drop on my boots is enough for them to earn a ride in the bed. Anhydrous amonia is bad too.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
RJJP
Senior User

That black Fuel/oil mix that it seems all screaming jimmies create lingers to, Hence the reason I'm taking the carpet out of my truck (forgot to take my boots off 1 day last June after R/Ring a head).

Quick Reply: Why dont you sell that truck...well because of the smell!!