Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel X vs V10 X - which is better & why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by archtaan
...since the 7.3 isn't as oil dependent as the 6.0.
Wait, what? Explain yourself...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I think he meant to post 6.8L, not 6.0L

But, even if that's true, one could argue the 7.3L is MORE oil dependent due to the HUEI injectors being run by oil.

The 7.3's can just run longer between oil changes, compared to the V10's.

Stewart

Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nzirbel

I know, it's a Superduty, not an X, but the motor is what counts!

If my V-10 could do this, why would I need a diesel? Yea, I got 6.72mpg. But running around without a load or trailer the other 98% of the time the V-10 was awesome. I even passed a guy on a two lane coming back with that load (he had a priceless look on his face!)

Sit down and make a pro/con list for both and that will tell what YOU want. If you're making up things to put on either one, that's the one your heart wants anyways your head is just trying to justify it.

To me getting the better mileage is worth any maintenance or upkeep cost. Every time I had to fill up my gas truck while pulling anything I would dislike the truck more and more. To me it sucks watching the gas gauge go down and having to fill up 5 times on one trip at over $100 each time.

I used to get about the same mileage pulling just the TT in my sig pic and lucky to keep 65 MPH. With my new 7.3X I get 14.5 pulling everything in the sig pic and can even leave the cruise on at 70 without losing anything on hills. I love it!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
MPG's are directly tied to WIND RESISTANCE...

The more wind resistance (i.e. the TALLER the trailer)...the less the MPG's will be...PERIOD...I don't care if you compare 7.3 to 7.3 pulling DIFFERNT trailers on the same roads...the TALLER trailer will always result in more wind resistance and lower MPG's...

Same thing comparing a V10 to a 7.3 to a 6.oH...you need to look at many factors in comparing MPG's...wind resistance, weight, terrain, head winds, tail winds, tire pressures, gear ratios, fuel blends, etc, etc, etc...not a SIMPLE comparison in any right...

What is simple...if I were pulling a 9000# utility trailer behind my Ex I WOULD get BETTER MPG's than pulling my HIGH wind profile 9000# TT on the SAME roads with the SAME winds...no question...

My 9000# TT has 2 slides...TT's with slides generally sit TALLER...taller means they catch more wind...plus I have a heavy foot...LOL...I don't drive for MPG's...I drive comfortably and safely for me...always under the ST trailer tire speed rating of 65mph though...

Joe.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
You know Joe, I never realized the POS ST trailer tires were rated for 65mph.

Good thing California has a max speed of 55 for vehicles pulling trailers, because I too have a lead foot.

Stewart

Old 01-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Bah, thats more of a recommendation than a limitation.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I have been known to resemble that remark!

Stewart

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Wait, what? Explain yourself...
I think that he may have been referring to the 6.0L and how it is "very" hard on oil as compared to the 7.3L. 3000+ psi oil pressure on the injectors if I remember right. Can't or shouldn't go for extended oil changes in the 6.0L unless you do oil analysis constantly... unless you like changing injectors.

Side note: If you have a 6.0L, check out RevX. It is a must oil additive that did wonders on my 6.0L. Search the diesel forums.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
I think that he may have been referring to the 6.0L and how it is "very" hard on oil as compared to the 7.3L. 3000+ psi oil pressure on the injectors if I remember right. Can't or shouldn't go for extended oil changes in the 6.0L unless you do oil analysis constantly... unless you like changing injectors.

Side note: If you have a 6.0L, check out RevX. It is a must oil additive that did wonders on my 6.0L. Search the diesel forums.
Yes that was what I meant, sorry I wasn't more clear.

The 7.3 is oil dependent to fire the injectors just like the 6.0, but the 6.0 destroys oil, there are stiction issues and the oil is asked to do a lot more. Since 7.3's are split shot compared to the multiple injector events the 6.0's go through, the oil is compressed many more times in the 6.0. The motor is hard on oil and the owner must take care of it between cooling a hotter motor, firing higher pressure injectors (26,000psi vs 21,000 psi) and squeezing through the oil cooler that is marginally cooled and most are suffering from blocked packages due to sand in the coolant.

With the 6.0's pitiful egr system soot particles are suspended in the oil contaminating it much faster. The 7.3 is a proven workhorse and you just can't extend oil changes in the 6.0 like you can in the 7.3.

Several members have had oil analysis tests done on 7.3 and have shown that even up to 10,000 miles the oil is still gtg. Try that with a 6.0 and you may be lucky to start it and maintain a stable idle.

Now a 6.8 would behave like most other large displacement gas motors. Change the oil at recommended intervals to eliminate sludge build up and prolong bearing life and the motor will last several hundred thousand miles. + only needing 6qts of oil is a lot cheaper than the 15-16qts the 7.3's and 6.0's take.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:13 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You know Joe, I never realized the POS ST trailer tires were rated for 65mph.

Good thing California has a max speed of 55 for vehicles pulling trailers, because I too have a lead foot.

Stewart
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Bah, thats more of a recommendation than a limitation.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I have been known to resemble that remark!

Stewart

There are many states that have reduced "Posted" speed limits for when towing a trailer...most states DO inforce the reduction in speed limits...I know for one...Illinois sure does...I've never been stopped but I've read many accounts of this over on RV.net...

Here's a list:

Cali 55mph
CT 55mph in some areas 65mph in some areas (posted on the individual road)
GA 55mph
IL 55mph
MS 55mph (unless otherwise posted)
NC 55 (unless otherwise posted)
OH 55mph (now this one is INTERESTING...the 55 is for ANY vehicle that has a COMBINED weight OVER 8000#s)
WV 55mph (70 where posted)

However...as Stewart picked up...ST tires are rated by the mfg's at a MAX speed rating of 65mph...this has to due with their rubber compounds...ST tires are more UV and dry rot resistant due to the nature of trailer tires...they typically sit idle for many days in the same spot and have sun illumination in the same spot day after day...so...the tire companies in order to combat the UV and dry rot of sitting idle...formulated a compound for that...however that compound doesn't shed heat as well (from what I've read during my research)...so they limit the max speed to 65 in order to keep built up heat lower...we've all seen trailers on the side of the road with blown out trailer tires and their trailers all torn up from the debris...many times (obviously not all)...but many times this is due to an overheated tire from going too fast...I've got a set of air pressure sensors that screw on the schrader valves on the tires that transmit tire pressures to my Ex so I know if I'm getting a flat or flat out had a blow out...because lets face it...those tires are way back there and not always visible in our mirrors as we tow...I felt it was a good investment for me to know my trailer tire pressures as I travel...

Joe.