Sponsored by: Moser

5.0 VS 6.2 - My New Tow Pig

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM
XXX4play
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
640 - I always enjoy your post btw

Anyways I would pick the 97-2003 the cheaper to keep on the rd trucks as far as parts during there lifetime. I never said anything about crashing them and that kind of parts as we don't crash are trucks

Only one engine failure that was a 05 5.4

Almost everytruck from early 90's to 2005 had atleast one transmission failure

Tie rod end are better on the newer years but control arms and wheel bearing are changed very often and since the steering change in the 2000's there has been issues's also

5 bolt rear ends 200K and there done, 6 bolt same but about 220K, 7 bolt lasted the truck out this is also what one of our 99's had. All were limited slip

09+ are by farthest the nicest and most comfortable f-150's but thank god for extended warranty till 160000 but that doesn't cover everything and used as a everyday work truck there just not as Ford Tough as they once were as a EVERY DAY WORK TRUCK!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XXX4play
640 - I always enjoy your post btw

Anyways I would pick the 97-2003 the cheaper to keep on the rd trucks as far as parts during there lifetime. I never said anything about crashing them and that kind of parts as we don't crash are trucks

Only one engine failure that was a 05 5.4

Almost everytruck from early 90's to 2005 had atleast one transmission failure

Tie rod end are better on the newer years but control arms and wheel bearing are changed very often and since the steering change in the 2000's there has been issues's also

5 bolt rear ends 200K and there done, 6 bolt same but about 220K, 7 bolt lasted the truck out this is also what one of our 99's had. All were limited slip

09+ are by farthest the nicest and most comfortable f-150's but thank god for extended warranty till 160000 but that doesn't cover everything and used as a everyday work truck there just not as Ford Tough as they once were as a EVERY DAY WORK TRUCK!
Haha well you know me!

But I personally just didnt have the best experience with the 1997-2003 models. I'll admit trucks today have become far more luxirous and comfortable than trucks were 30 or 40 years ago.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
My dad had a 1976 F-150 4x4 that her bought new. It was in my opinion the best truck he ever owned.

Since then, I bought an '84, '86 and an '88. Each was similarly built to the '76 except for the 4x4 systems and became more complex as time went on.

My 2011 is Lincoln compared the old '76 but, it has a higher tow rating, a higher payload and gets literally twice the MPG's while it weighs about 1800 lbs more.

I believe it will outlast each of the four above mentioned trucks.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
My dad had a 1976 F-150 4x4 that her bought new. It was in my opinion the best truck he ever owned.

Since then, I bought an '84, '86 and an '88. Each was similarly built to the '76 except for the 4x4 systems and became more complex as time went on.

My 2011 is Lincoln compared the old '76 but, it has a higher tow rating, a higher payload and gets literally twice the MPG's while it weighs about 1800 lbs more.

I believe it will outlast each of the four above mentioned trucks.
These new trucks are quite comfortable when compared to their older siblings. But I have to admit...There is just something special (to me at least) about riding in a bare bones old fashond work truck.

I'm actually currently in the process of looking for a good used late 1970's F-250 or F-350 SRW to work on as a restoration project. Either that or an offroad terror!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
These new trucks are quite comfortable when compared to their older siblings. But I have to admit...There is just something special (to me at least) about riding in a bare bones old fashond work truck.

I'm actually currently in the process of looking for a good used late 1970's F-250 or F-350 SRW to work on as a restoration project. Either that or an offroad terror!

Now that is a capitol idea sir.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
teeheee ....

got one

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Longbed Lightning
Junior User
UPDATE: Truck came in!
Bad news: I was forced to take a pay cut at work to "cut overhead and keep from laying off employees". All the while the owners are spending money on toys for themselves like crazy! This forces me NOT to buy the truck because I don't wanna spend that kind of money right now. I have a job interview next week and if it goes well and I get an offer for the right salary, I will buy the truck. If not, I'll be ordering a 2012 F150 SuperCrew 6.5' Bed HD Payload 5.0 XLT 2WD.

Here's the beast. I fell in love on the test drive!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 AM
jkclark
5th Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck with the interview. Hope all goes well!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Longbed Lightning
Junior User
Well I bought the truck! Have been driving it for almost 3 weeks and 1300 miles. Fuel mileage has ranged from 13.5-22. It all depends on how heavy my foot is and how fast I'm going.

It rides like a Cadillac! haha Great ride. Very comfortable. I'm loving all the things that came with the Lariat package.

Now my first tow. I hooked up my 18ft car hauler, that has a 350lb tool*box on the tongue, and the truck squatted more than I thought it should. After I loaded my Gen 1 Lightning race truck (has been gutted and weighs about 3200lbs), I had to hook up the load level bars. Kind of disappointing to have to use the load level bars. My old 1999 Superduty would hardly squat more than 3", where as this truck squatted almost that with just the empty trailer and all my crap loaded in the bed that I bring to the track.

The 6.2L power: AMAZING!!!!! With a trailer hooked up, this thing flat out hauls!!! Never ever felt like I needed more power. In Tow/Haul mode, it loved 1500RPM/ 6th gear/ 60MPH. Give it a tad bit of throttle and it will pull a hill or slowly accelerate without ever downshifting. Mash the throttle and its downright scary how fast you can pass someone up on a 2-lane highway with that much weight behind you!!! It was 104 miles round trip to the track and I averaged 13.4 MPG's; that's even with making 2 passes down the 1/4 mile in the truck. It ran a best of 15.18 @92MPH with some wheel spin and wheel hop.

Braking is fantastic. The integrated trailer brake controller and the gear downshifting in Tow/Haul mode makes this thing stop great! It came with "P" rated tires, which was a disappointment. Max pressure on them was 44PSI. I left the front at the factory recommended 35PSI and pumped the rears to 44PSI. I had a cross wind the whole trip and the truck handled it like a champ.

My only disappointments: not having "E" load rated tires, and the soft rear leaf springs. With a truck having the designation of "MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE" and is rated to tow "10,900lbs", these items should have been standard!

I'm going pick up my tractor tomorrow, so we'll see how well it squats with that load.

See below pics of my first tow! All questions/ comments welcomed!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on your truck! I was just wondering why you chose the 6.2L over the 3.5L Ecoboost? I know the 6.2L has more hp and torque...however looking at the Ecoboost it provides it's torque at a much lower RPM which I would think would be preferable while towing. The other downside is that the payload for the 6.2L looked to only be 1660 lbs. compared to 1840 and 2310 lbs. of the Ecoboost. The one other thing is the fuel economy of the Ecoboost comparatively.

I am still waiting to get my truck and have been doing extended window shopping (torture) for awhile now. I was first thinking about getting the F350 PSD however that truck might be more than I really need not to mention the higher fuel and maintenance of the diesels.

Anyway...was just wondering your thoughts on this...again congrats on your truck!!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Watt-maker
Freshman User
Longbed lightning- I would recommend getting a set of airbags for the rear of that F150. They will make it ride a little stiffer when unloaded but towing will be a pleasure. Plus it will keep your headlights out of the eyes if oncoming traffic at night.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
6.2 is what I would get if it had to be. I too think the F250 would be better...you can get that with the 6.2 as well.
That's exactly what i was thinking. The chassis of a superduty provides a margin of safety that a half ton just does not have .

So: shop for a used 7.3l a 2007 six-oh or a new 6.2 superduty gasser.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Watt-maker
Longbed lightning- I would recommend getting a set of airbags for the rear of that F150. They will make it ride a little stiffer when unloaded but towing will be a pleasure. Plus it will keep your headlights out of the eyes if oncoming traffic at night.
Excellent plus air pressure can be reduced when not towing and ride comfort should be near oem. Ready to haul just pump up the bags.

Plus it may help to measure wheel well gap so once trailer is hooked up you can press up the bags to get that clearance back.

Good luck and enjor....

Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Longbed Lightning
Now my first tow. I hooked up my 18ft car hauler, that has a 350lb tool*box on the tongue, and the truck squatted more than I thought it should. After I loaded my Gen 1 Lightning race truck (has been gutted and weighs about 3200lbs), I had to hook up the load level bars. Kind of disappointing to have to use the load level bars. My old 1999 Superduty would hardly squat more than 3", where as this truck squatted almost that with just the empty trailer and all my crap loaded in the bed that I bring to the track.

Braking is fantastic. The integrated trailer brake controller and the gear downshifting in Tow/Haul mode makes this thing stop great! It came with "P" rated tires, which was a disappointment. Max pressure on them was 44PSI. I left the front at the factory recommended 35PSI and pumped the rears to 44PSI. I had a cross wind the whole trip and the truck handled it like a champ.

My only disappointments: not having "E" load rated tires, and the soft rear leaf springs. With a truck having the designation of "MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE" and is rated to tow "10,900lbs", these items should have been standard!

I'm going pick up my tractor tomorrow, so we'll see how well it squats with that load.

See below pics of my first tow! All questions/ comments welcomed!
That is why both my dad and I got away from 150s and into 250s. No messing with airbags, adjustable shocks, shifting weight around, shopping for extra load tires and etc. Just put the stuff on the trailer load up the bed and don't worry about it. Just isn't enough there with a 150.(plenty of power though) Honestly I'll take a truck that handles the load much better vs 0-60 and 1/4 mile times any day of the week.

Anyway. Congrats on the truck and enjoy. I'd invest a set of Firestone airbags, compressor and in cab controls.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
That is why both my dad and I got away from 150s and into 250s. No messing with airbags, adjustable shocks, shifting weight around, shopping for extra load tires and etc. Just put the stuff on the trailer load up the bed and don't worry about it. Just isn't enough there with a 150.(plenty of power though) Honestly I'll take a truck that handles the load much better vs 0-60 and 1/4 mile times any day of the week.

I agree. When your hauling and towing frequently that's the only way to look at it ... load it and go!

Quick Reply: 5.0 VS 6.2 - My New Tow Pig