Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

bosch, diesel rx/welman, or M.C glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM
f250d4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bosch, diesel rx/welman, or M.C glow plugs

I know every one says to get motorcraft glow plugs. I didnt know that 6 months ago when i put in autolites. Now i see all the stuff about the ends swelling and not being able to get them out.Also how the autolites dont last so long. At the moment i dont know if i am having a glow plug issue or not...i will find out today. Just wanted to get an opinion on these in advance.Also i might change them out in the future anyway to avoid issues.

online the diesel rx-wellmans are cheaper(saw a you tube clip where they heated up a liitle quicker and they became a little hotter than beru (motorcraft?) not worth it though if everyone has problems with them to. DieselRx Glow Plug Comparison - YouTube

ive never heard anything here about the quality of bosch.---they have them at the local parts house in stock for the same price as autolites.---junk or not?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
They heat the same way the autolites do, very inconsistant. Thats why the motorcrafts last longer and dont swell, because they heat evenly.

Take a look here
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ont-swell.html

Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That video voice is pure BS. The Beru one undoubtedly heats more evenly and quicker than the others.

Get Motorcrafts.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
f250d4x4
Senior User
yeah thats was kinda what i was thinking. Didnt know if they used an inferior metal compared to the beru or if it was strictly due to the heat/cooling effect.

Is bosch crap too?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Dude,
Its really simple. International designed the engine to use plugs that were designed by Beru. All the other brands are made differently and react differently with the stock controller.

I don't know why people try to save a few bucks on other brands when its been well proven on this forum that Beru/Motorcraft plugs consistently work without any problems in our trucks.

VW uses Bosch (or at least did in the old IDI 1.6L engines). A few years ago when I bought an old diesel Jetta and not knowing anything at the time, I got some cheap ones on ebay, I think Wellmans, and they burnt out. I later replaced them with an upgraded Bosch design that included a new controller. I have not, and WILL NOT use Bosch plugs in my truck so I can not comment on what they would do or how they would perform.

I replaced all of my plugs shortly after buying my truck, about 4 years ago. I used Beru plugs and they have worked flawlessly since. When replacing the plugs that one time, I pulled out a mix that included some autolites and possibly other brands. All of the Berus looked normal. Several of the off brands were deformed.

Earlier today someone posted in an identical thread a link to a Beru flier explaining how their plugs are built and why they are better than other brands. Yes every brand has a flier like that, but the Beru one had some very good technical reasons why their plugs last longer and don't expand or break off when they fail. Its was a good read. It also stated to only use glow plugs compatible with the glow plug controller on the engine.

To put it simply, use whatever the hell you want in your truck. If you use anything other than Beru plugs, don't come crying to us that A) your truck won't start, B) a glow plug broke off or is stuck and you need to pull the head.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
o man this sucks i had just bought a set of the deisel rx glow plugs witha realy and here i thought i did my research and here you guys are saying they arnt that good. i know evrey one said not to buy the autolight. but i didnt see any one say not to buy the diesel rx. whats a guy to do but cry and laugh.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
f250d4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Dude,
Its really simple. International designed the engine to use plugs that were designed by Beru. All the other brands are made differently and react differently with the stock controller.

I don't know why people try to save a few bucks on other brands when its been well proven on this forum that Beru/Motorcraft plugs consistently work without any problems in our trucks.

VW uses Bosch (or at least did in the old IDI 1.6L engines). A few years ago when I bought an old diesel Jetta and not knowing anything at the time, I got some cheap ones on ebay, I think Wellmans, and they burnt out. I later replaced them with an upgraded Bosch design that included a new controller. I have not, and WILL NOT use Bosch plugs in my truck so I can not comment on what they would do or how they would perform.

I replaced all of my plugs shortly after buying my truck, about 4 years ago. I used Beru plugs and they have worked flawlessly since. When replacing the plugs that one time, I pulled out a mix that included some autolites and possibly other brands. All of the Berus looked normal. Several of the off brands were deformed.

Earlier today someone posted in an identical thread a link to a Beru flier explaining how their plugs are built and why they are better than other brands. Yes every brand has a flier like that, but the Beru one had some very good technical reasons why their plugs last longer and don't expand or break off when they fail. Its was a good read. It also stated to only use glow plugs compatible with the glow plug controller on the engine.

To put it simply, use whatever the hell you want in your truck. If you use anything other than Beru plugs, don't come crying to us that A) your truck won't start, B) a glow plug broke off or is stuck and you need to pull the head.
This is to you and you personally TECGOD13 nobody else just you.--The one question i asked (about bosch) and you cant comment because you dont know. Yet you feel the need to ramble on about everything else.Wtf are you even replying for if you dont know. Go stick your nose in the corner and talk to yourself.
i aint crying to nobody and i will go anywhere and ask any question at anytime i feel like it.Make no mistake about that.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by f250d4x4
This is to you and you personally TECGOD13 nobody else just you.--The one question i asked (about bosch) and you cant comment because you dont know. Yet you feel the need to ramble on about everything else.Wtf are you even replying for if you dont know. Go stick your nose in the corner and talk to yourself.
i aint crying to nobody and i will go anywhere and ask any question at anytime i feel like it.Make no mistake about that.
I posted that Bosch plugs work in VW's and thats my experience with them. In the VW world, Bosch plugs seem to be high quality. I thought that perspective might be useful in your decision. If you don't like that answer, fine. I don't think the Bosch plugs are as widely available as Autolites, so you might not find as much information on them.

My reply wasn't directed to just you. It seems everyday someone new comes here and asks about glowplugs. I'm sick and tired of reading the same question again and again and seeing the same answer again and again by someone trying to save a buck. I'm 95% confident that the consensus of this forum is that Beru plugs are the ones to use. There are a few users on here that have had good experiences with other brands. There are several users that have had HORRIBLE experiences with other brands.

Honestly, if you have to be rude about it, you really need to read the forum rules, as thats not what any of us come here for.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have A LOT of ZD-1's...also got a lot of ZD-9's if you dont wanna pay top price for them.... but I am with everyone else on the Motorcrafts....Tecgod13 is a VERY VERY valuable member. Please keep your knickers from getting into a knot....there is no need for that.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
f250d4x4:

If your tired of reading the same questions/answers, simple, don't open the glow plug threads. I seem to repeat my self alot to, I don't mind, new users, all learning, and even I still learn, both from pros, and even noobs. Sure it helps when they use the search bar, but hell, even I when I started here, I didn't even know about that, or the reps, or anything.

Tecgod was just making a point, no need to get on his case. Hes a very valued, and extremely knowledgeable person on here.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
Whatever GPm you do decide to use, I strongly suggest bench testing them before installing them. I use a 10 amp battery charger to heat them to red hot then let them cool down. A friend of mine installed what we thought were temperature limiting GPs only to discover that they were mislabeled at the plant. No one catalogs a temperature limiting GP for the 6.9/7.3s. Autolite and Wellman are the same GP. It's a marketing thing. I personally use the AC12Gs (crosses to Autolite 1109) because I worked at the plant where they were made and have had nothing but good experience with them. As tecgod13 stated the BERUs do not deform when they go bad. The others have a tendency to expand when they get overheated. Just my 2¢.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f250d4x4
Why start a thread if you are going to respond to replies from valued members with BS?

Take a chill pill my dude and settle down. Don't start a thread about GP's if you don't want to hear what we have to say about GP's.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
the thing about that video of other glow plugs lighting up faster and hotter.

that is what makes the tips swell up, and the plugs burn out so fast.
the slower the glow plug is to heat up, the more even heat distrubition through the plug, and the less chance for metal fatigue and distortion. the glow plug controllers in our trucks are designed to use the slower heating motorcraft/beru ZD-9 glow plugs. that is why all the other plugs burn out so fast.
the autolite, wellman, champion, bosch, ac/delco, and all the other glow plugs just do not last in our trucks.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:06 PM
mleedix
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the thing about that video of other glow plugs lighting up faster and hotter.

that is what makes the tips swell up, and the plugs burn out so fast.
the slower the glow plug is to heat up, the more even heat distrubition through the plug, and the less chance for metal fatigue and distortion. the glow plug controllers in our trucks are designed to use the slower heating motorcraft/beru ZD-9 glow plugs. that is why all the other plugs burn out so fast.
the autolite, wellman, champion, bosch, ac/delco, and all the other glow plugs just do not last in our trucks.
Thanks, I've been searching for an answer as to 'why' one plug may be better than another. The comments from another member about using what the GPC was designed for make sense. But this answer makes a lot of sense.

At the same time, I have Beru gp in the truck and she still starts harder than heck. Runs great but cold it's anyones guess if it will start of the batteries will go dead first. They never actually went dead before it starts but we've gotten close. Anything below 45 or so and the truck has to be plugged in. So perhaps I need to look elsewhere for the issue.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

first step is to see if your controller is working.
since it does not start cold, i am going to assume the wait to start light is only on for a second or too, correct?
if so, your next step is to take a test light and hook one end to ground. then with a helper in the truck, put the other end of the test light to one of the glow plug wires and have your helper turn the ignition on. if the light lights( it should only be for a second or two) the controller is good and the glow plugs are bad.
how many miles are on the truck?
stick with us, and well got it working properly again.
if you can, plug the truck in 2-3 hours before you try to start it. this will save your batteries and starter until we can get the glow plugs working again.

Quick Reply: bosch, diesel rx/welman, or M.C glow plugs