Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Pressure Test Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel Pressure Test Gauges

I've been using an old $17 Liquid-filled Summit gauge on my regulator for about a year and a half. Gauge has worked great, but the fluid inside is leaking out now. So, guess I'll be getting a new one. I need to go back in and redo some of my fuel lines so while I'm in there, guess I ought to do something about the gauge. What do y'all use on your regulated returns? The Aeromotive gauge is twice as much, but so far I've liked everything I've bought from Aeromotive. Also, do y'all mount them on the regulators or mount them remotely? I'd like to scrap the one on the regulator and just run one inside the cab, but it'd make adjusting the regulator a pain. Any input would be great!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you mount it remotely on a piece of flexible hose, you can help isolate it more. The gauges take a pretty good beating from vibration. You can always mount an electric sensor on it and just remove it when you are adjusting the regulator. How often do you adjust it anyway? IMO I would use a fuel pressure test gauge to set it and a sender to a FP gauge in the cab to keep an eye on it the rest of the time.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:39 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by woodnthings
If you mount it remotely on a piece of flexible hose, you can help isolate it more. The gauges take a pretty good beating from vibration. You can always mount an electric sensor on it and just remove it when you are adjusting the regulator. How often do you adjust it anyway? IMO I would use a fuel pressure test gauge to set it and a sender to a FP gauge in the cab to keep an eye on it the rest of the time.
That's actually not a bad idea... not sure why I thought I needed to leave it on all the time. I've just found that every now and then my regulator likes to creep down so it's just convenient if I'm in a parking lot somewhere to not have to put my gauge back on. Instead, I can just adjust it with the truck sitting there running. Guess I could put in a small valve but now it's getting more complicating than it needs to be.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Take a look at Diesel O-Rings.com and his adapters. You can simply install a tee fitting and have both at your disposal. The good part of a cab mounted fuel gauge is you would see your pressure dropping before you had to adjust it in a parking lot. I always recommend isolating the gauge with a flex hose and rubber mounts to keep them from to much vibration. It will make them last much longer.

Here is a schrader valve you can install for quick access to use a FP test tool.
Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Didn't even think of that... the OBS trucks had those. I actually have an OBS fuel bowl lying around.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Hi, not to hijack the thread but on fuel gauge issues, I just installed one, in the cab.
Uses an electric sensor mounted on the back of the filter bowl.
Any known issues with a set up like this?
Showing 62 psi driving around, okay? Nothing done on the fuel system yet, all stock.
Thanks.
Tom
01 F250 CC 4x4 7.3 204k.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by trekbasso
Hi, not to hijack the thread but on fuel gauge issues, I just installed one, in the cab.
Showing 62 psi driving around, okay? Nothing done on the fuel system yet, all stock.
Thanks.
Tom
01 F250 CC 4x4 7.3 204k.

Yep, that is fine to mount it there. I have mine in the lower passenger port so I see post filter pressure.

Your pressure seems to be normal.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Thanks.
Tom
01 F250 CC 4x4 7.3 204k.
Good stock pressure... very good. Nothing wrong with that setup as I'll be doing the same later on down the line. I'm just trying to figure something out for when I have to adjust my regulator... again, those are good numbers for stock. To my knowledge, you're lucky to get mid 50's stock.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Thanks Ken and Jon,
Always curious what is happening under that hood. Know I know! At least part of it.
I was expecting mid 50's. I'll take what I got.
The port I used, driver side, rear, is that post or pre filter? Took out plug with an allen wrench.
Tom.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks Ken and Jon,
Always curious what is happening under that hood. Know I know! At least part of it.
I was expecting mid 50's. I'll take what I got.
The port I used, driver side, rear, is that post or pre filter? Took out plug with an allen wrench.
Tom.
that location is pre-filter readings...same plug on bowl, but on p/s, will give you post readings.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
that location is pre-filter readings...same plug on bowl, but on p/s, will give you post readings.
Good to know...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Great to know. Thanks.

Tom.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanN
my regulator likes to creep down.
Adjusting the FP regulator may just be making up for some other problem. If your FP keeps "creeping down" it might not be the regulator but the fuel pump, the FPR or something going on with fuel supply. That's why it is advisable to have a FP gauge as a diagnostic tool. Just something to consider.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Adjusting the FP regulator may just be making up for some other problem. If your FP keeps "creeping down" it might not be the regulator but the fuel pump, the FPR or something going on with fuel supply. That's why it is advisable to have a FP gauge as a diagnostic tool. Just something to consider.
I know what you're saying... thing is, this regulator's done it before (it was free so... you get what you pay for). It might be an old Aeromotive, but I'm not sure. And the thing about it is it's not a slow creep, it'll drop down to 30-40psi. I had to use a metal washer under the locking nut because it kept coming loose with the plastic one that was in there. It would come loose and I'd have to keep adjusting it. Once I replaced the washer with a metal one, I only had it come loose once and that was after a year of running. I've tweaked it some as the temperatures change (the pressure is higher when the fuel is cold), but nothing major until a month or two ago.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanN
I know what you're saying... thing is, this regulator's done it before (it was free so... you get what you pay for). It might be an old Aeromotive, but I'm not sure. And the thing about it is it's not a slow creep, it'll drop down to 30-40psi. I had to use a metal washer under the locking nut because it kept coming loose with the plastic one that was in there. It would come loose and I'd have to keep adjusting it. Once I replaced the washer with a metal one, I only had it come loose once and that was after a year of running. I've tweaked it some as the temperatures change (the pressure is higher when the fuel is cold), but nothing major until a month or two ago.
Gotcha. But for others still good advise why a FP gauge is a good one to have. Since installing one I wouldn't do without. It's great as an early warning and diagnostic tool.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Test Gauges