1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air suspension please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
nathank
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air suspension please help!

2004 navigator
Sitting all the way flat in front and back.

I can remove the relay and jumper the harness, the compressor works.

I bought a brand new relay

Checked all 4 fuses related to suspension.

Check air suspension message is on in the message center. Nothing happens when I start the truck and put it in drive with the doors shut. I don't know what else to look at?

Please help!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 AM
12amracer
Junior User
Shot in the dark, but I just read a thread here where a member stated that he had to replace a coupler (I think) under the compressor because the air was not getting to the bags. I'll try and find it.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM
nathank
New User
Originally Posted by 12amracer
Shot in the dark, but I just read a thread here where a member stated that he had to replace a coupler (I think) under the compressor because the air was not getting to the bags. I'll try and find it.
I can't even get the compressor to kick on. I know the compressor runs, and the relay is brand new... but i can't get it to kick on and the "check air suspension" message won't go away.

I've also tried disconnecting the battery for 15 min or so to try to reset whatever the issue is. I've turned the air suspension switch off and on too.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
12amracer
Junior User
Oh! My bad, still early. I saw "compressor works" and didn't realize that it worked only when jumped. Is it a common relay? If so swap it with another one and see if there are any changes. I have read of relays being dead even new.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a reset button under the passenger dash? When mine (1999) has overheated (when I had the coupler noted below go bad) I had to turn off the reset button for a few seconds and flip back on to get the compressor to work.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 PM
nathank
New User
Originally Posted by r2millers
Do you have a reset button under the passenger dash? When mine (1999) has overheated (when I had the coupler noted below go bad) I had to turn off the reset button for a few seconds and flip back on to get the compressor to work.
I have an on/off switch in the cargo area, but I don't see anything about a reset button on the 04. I've done quite a bit of searching and I haven't seen that mentioned for this year model. I WISH it had a reset button!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
As long as the check suspension message is on, its not going to make any adjustments. To find out why the message is on, you'll need to have the code(s) pulled to even know where to start.

BE CAREFULL: This IS the most expensive system to maintain out of ALL the Fords & Lincolns since they started this stuff back in '84.

At an average of $800 per corner to stay with the air, I would recommend doing the 4 wheel conversion.....as it would be 1/4th price.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:17 PM
nathank
New User
Originally Posted by American Air-1
As long as the check suspension message is on, its not going to make any adjustments. To find out why the message is on, you'll need to have the code(s) pulled to even know where to start.
What is involved in pulling the code? Is it something only the dealer can do?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Originally Posted by nathank
What is involved in pulling the code? Is it something only the dealer can do?
You'll need to find someone that has a really, really nice scanner. The normal ones at autozone & all won't cut it.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
nathank
New User
You'll need to find someone that has a really, really nice scanner. The normal ones at autozone & all won't cut it.
Figures.
I have a ODBII scanner that cost me about $100, but it wouldn't show me anything. I'll have to see what I can dig up.

On that spring conversion... Is it possible to disable the check air suspension message if converted?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:46 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Figures.
I have a ODBII scanner that cost me about $100, but it wouldn't show me anything. I'll have to see what I can dig up.

On that spring conversion... Is it possible to disable the check air suspension message if converted?
Oh yeah, its definately do-able.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM
nathank
New User
Oh yeah, its definately do-able.
Your site mentions you have a scanner loaner program?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Your site mentions you have a scanner loaner program?
The scan tool I lend out is worth $250 max.....the scan tool you need is $3,000 min.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 AM
aristocraft
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nathank, seems at this point it is worth having a shop pull the codes to see what's up. I thought on the 04 with the sliding steps it was not guaranteed the light will turn off. That somehow it's integrated and the problem must be rectified. I sure wouldn't do the swap just yet if all else in the esteem worked fine and it just quit running. Have the code scanned and go from there. At least then you will have some direction
Sorry for grammar. On phone.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 AM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nathan, I think Millers had a good point. I had a '99 that had an on/off switch above the passenger kick panel right next to the fuel shut off. I had to turn it off whenever I lifted the truck off the ground. Does the '04 have a master switch like that to engage and disengage the entire system?

And as for the conversion kits leaving the warning light on; I ended up going with Strutmaster coil springs in the rear of my Expy (they were way too soft for my liking) and the kit came with instructions on getting to the computer module under the dash and told me exactly what wire to cut to get the suspension dash light off. As for the system I just pulled the bags out and flipped the switch to the off position.

Quick Reply: Air suspension please help!