1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford v10 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Just stay in the right lane, would ya?

Now that's funny!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
On Holiday
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't believe Texas equals cold winters. I lived in Maine for 4 years and have been to Texas over the winter and the two states felt totally different climates to me. At age 14, I would not be looking at SD. Gas mileage is terrible and the lack of income is probably just as bad. I think age 14 is too young to even consider driving unless it is a farm tractor. Just my $0.02.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would want to know more about this 13 year old's lifestyle before I encouraged or discouraged him from purchasing a truck. He may live on a ranch and has lots of chores like a hired hand. He may be extremely responsible and has money in the bank. It really depends on his maturity as to whether he should be considering the purchase of a truck.

The reality is, at 13 years of age, he cannot make the purchase without his parent's approval. Minors are not allowed to contract so it would be with his parent's blessing that he purchased a truck.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I dont know the laws in each state but here you need to be 16, i believe, to drive and if you only have a permit you need someone licensed with you. But again it's been a while. I'd be curious to its intended use if you couldnt drive on the roads......

Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHOA!!! I did not expect this many responses! And I do agree on the weather thing, but about one or two weeks ago, it got down to less than ten degrees, but most of the cold is the wind chill of west texas. I do in fact have my parents approval, and am making money by buying and reselling stuff to the local pawn shop. In less than one month, I had about $200 dollars invested in some stuff, and sold all of it for over $600 and the pawn shop owner said to bring him more stuff, so I have a source of income (Sort of). You are correct on needing to be 15 to have a permit and have a licensed co-pilot (passenger) of at least 21 years of age. My brother got his truck almost 3 years ago, a few days after turning 14. His is a 1995 Do#$e dually with a 12-valve cummins turbo diesel. It is a 2WD auto. We have removed the turbo silencer ring, moved the fuel plate, added mudflaps and a ranch hand bumper, replaced batterys and filters, replaced one dually fender, rigged up a fuel solenoid pull cable, put in a pioneer stereo, rotated tires, etc. We also had a shop install an AWESOME straight pipe exhaust and re aligned the front end. We do have a small shop and nearly 10 acres. We have most common tools like a CH air compressor, wrench sets up to 2 1/2 inches, socket sets, impact wrenches, and basic hand and woodworking tools.

I appreciate all the help and advice.

I also have another question. I am not trying to be sarcastic, but does a straight piped ford v10 sound good, or is it just a glorified weed-eater?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
The exhaust will get varied opinions and I don't think they sound good. Not bad but just not right. A diesel or V8 with an exhaust sounds better. And I own a V10. I also prefer a quiet vehicle that I need to drive around, although I really like a diesel with a good sounding exhaust.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by barthel
Same for me, I was 44 before I got mine.

Old Guys Rule!!!!
I like the "Old guys rule" phrase! I remember a few years back, I saw an old man driving a WICKED dually truck, but I do not remember if it was a ford or a D@^#e. My favorite part was the bumper sticker that said: "The old days SUCKED"

Last edited by Truck Guy99; 01-22-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by On Holiday
I don't believe Texas equals cold winters. I lived in Maine for 4 years and have been to Texas over the winter and the two states felt totally different climates to me. At age 14, I would not be looking at SD. Gas mileage is terrible and the lack of income is probably just as bad. I think age 14 is too young to even consider driving unless it is a farm tractor. Just my $0.02.
Do you mind me asking what town you went to in Texas? There are many parts of it that usually do not get below 20 degrees.

But texas is CERTAINLY known for it's heat. Any good ol' TX boys with me?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 PM
rlorenson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got 380,000 out of my 99 and the guy that bought it is still driving it around today. Had some spark plug trouble but that sorted itself out with the suggestions above. Can tow well and was pretty quick empty.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 PM
2008F250SHAKING
Freshman User
V10 is the way to go. The mileage is about 10 in the city....13 on the interstate, but gas is cheaper than diesel. Also oil changes are much cheaper. And the diesels give problems unless you have the 7.3. The injectors are notorious for giving problems from the 6.4s and even on a new truck they are not covered under warranty. The only major problem with the V10 is gas mileage, but for a 3/4 ton or ton truck you shouldn't expect a whole lot anyways. The gas burner will pull all you need and then some. So many people drive diesels just because...and they don't need them. I've had a gas burner with 270,000 miles and didnt burn any oil whatsoever. My current V10 runs like a champ, but doesn't make it past too many gas stations

Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
heck yea, i'm running the ac tonight in the middle of january

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A 3/4 ton up is probably one of worst vehicles for a young persons first vehicle. Well unless the parents pay for everything.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Check out the V10 section for more answers. Lots of help there and specific to the engine you are looking at. What is the mileage? You'll need new tires from what you say ($700-$1000+) depending on what you want. The V10 is a great engine and gets anywhere from 6-14mpg depending on configuration, driving style, towing, unloaded, etc.... I think there is a post in the V10 forum or super duty asking these similar questions with detailed responses, sorry I can't find it. There are spark plug fixes (i think there were only a few threads on the plugs in the head so they can come loose and pop out), exhaust manifold leaks (studs breaking off). Seriously though check out the V10 section, mucho info. Also go look at a few, start em up, listen, crawl around and under the truck looking for leaks, noises, or other problems. Check ball joints and u-joints in the driveshaft. Drive it and see if it has any wierd characteristics. Earlier V10's had less power than the 05+ V10's but people have both and love them. Can you repair stuff or do you need to take it to a mechanic? If you need to take it places to fix stuff then make sure there are no signs of problems because labor charges add up!! Lastly don't get too excited with the first trucks you check out. Make sure you look at it like as if you'd win $100,000 for finding an issue. I'm not saying don't buy it but at least if you scrutinize it you'll have an idea what may be ahead for you. Good luck.
Sorry for not telling you, but the mileage earlier. It is 210,XXX,and it is $3,000

Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
I gotta hijack this for just a second: I think it's an age thing, but lots of guys my age (almost 50!) dismiss anyone under 20 as not "deserving" to own (fill in the blank). Having said that, I live in northern California where lots of kids work full time at family ranches in addition to school and sports. A friend of my Dad's just turned 65 this month and he worked on his family's dairy when he was in grade school and high school. He was never paid, but when each of the kids turned 16, they were each bought a brand-new car. He chose a brand-new '65 GTO. He also had to listen to everyone talking crap about him and his "spoiled" sibs all driving new cars. He told my Dad that those same people who talked that way never saw him working 7 days a week for his whole life before that, with no childhood vacations, ever. Dairy cows don't wait for you to get back from Disneyland! So to those who might wonder why a 13 year old is planning ahead, cut him some slack. And to the OP, check the truck over carefully and if it looks good and you can afford it (and the gas!) then go for it. I've never been sorry buying more than I need.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
I appreciate all the support!!! I took a look at the truck, and found out it is 4wd. I decided to make the smart financial decision, and I will pass on the truck. There are plenty of trucks out there, and I will keep looking. Plenty of time. Thank you all for the time and advice you have given me. Who knows? Maybe this thread helped someone out.

Quick Reply: Ford v10 opinions