6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jet A is 600 PPM, and will be for quite a while.

Leo

Old 10-05-2016, 10:12 PM
larryandamy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if I do not use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel?

I have never had a diesel engine and I may be about to take the leap. I am probably going to buy a 2014 F350 6.7L diesel tomorrow, but the more I read, the more nervous I am getting.
The posts below say that you cannot buy anything but ULSD anyway, but I go to Baja Mexico a lot and I was told that they sell diesel fuel with lots of sulfur and that diesel engines love it... But this was many years ago...??
Is this a problem?
I would rather not buy a diesel than give up going to Baja.
Help!

I also see everyone using lots of acronyms that I do not understand...
What is DPF? I guess I should know since the posts say that this is the only issue with not using ULSD.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2016, 02:11 PM
FullMetalDiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by larryandamy
I have never had a diesel engine and I may be about to take the leap. I am probably going to buy a 2014 F350 6.7L diesel tomorrow, but the more I read, the more nervous I am getting.
The posts below say that you cannot buy anything but ULSD anyway, but I go to Baja Mexico a lot and I was told that they sell diesel fuel with lots of sulfur and that diesel engines love it... But this was many years ago...??
Is this a problem?
I would rather not buy a diesel than give up going to Baja.
Help!

I also see everyone using lots of acronyms that I do not understand...
What is DPF? I guess I should know since the posts say that this is the only issue with not using ULSD.

Thanks
I would hold off on buying a Diesel until you learn more. DPF is a filter in the exhaust to combat pollution to the environment. I don't have an exact explanation of how it works. But it uses UREA or DEF fluid (BLUE DEF) to help burn off particulate matter before it exits your exhaust.

You need to fill your vehicle with DEF every 3000+ miles or so unless you do what is called a DPF delete. Where you run straight pipes for exhaust and tune your vehicle.

Look on youtube for some videos of EGR and DPF delete. Ford or Cummins

Old 10-08-2016, 06:48 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
The three parts of the exhaust emissions stuff UNDER the truck are DOC, SCR and DPF. Under the hood you have EGR. DEF is the stuff you add to the tank beside the fuel fill inlet.

DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter. When the differential pressure across the filter gets to a certain point, the trucks computer will initiate a regen. To do this, raw Diesel is injected on the exhaust stroke, where it is burned in the DOC (Diesel Oxidizing Catalyst) to generate the heat required to begin burning off the soot in the DPF.

SCR stands for Selective Catalytic Reduction, and its function is to reduce NOx (oxides of nitrogen) to acceptable levels. By using a fixed catalyst bed and DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid), it converts the NOx into nitrogen and water vapor. Because NOx is a by-product of high combustion temperatures, EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is added back into the engine from the EGR cooler to reduce the efficiency of the burn, and lessen the combustion temperature to generate less NOx that would need to be treated in the SCR.

Sulfur is a catalyst poison, and that is why you should not run high sulfur fuel in an emissions controlled vehicle. The sulfur bonds to the catalyst and blocks its activity.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:10 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FullMetalDiesel
You need to fill your vehicle with DEF every 3000+ miles or so unless you do what is called a DPF delete.
The DEF tank holds 5 gallons. The number of miles you can get on a full fill depends on your driving habits and loads. If I'm not mistaken most people get around 6000-7000 miles on a tank.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:20 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by doczenith1
The DEF tank holds 5 gallons. The number of miles you can get on a full fill depends on your driving habits and loads. If I'm not mistake most people get around 6000-7000 miles on a tank.
If towing. We get around 3K going to Florida

Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Your biggest problem will be fuel in Mexico...

You could delete and just not worry about it. Truck would run ULSD or LSD. There are pros and cons to deleting... One is cost.

I tried finding newer data, this is from 2013, but here is a good website that goes into what your 2013 does for emission and what fuel is available in Mexico and how to tell when you are getting ULSD vs LSD vs. High Sulfur fuel.

Diesel Fuel in Mexico

From everything I read Mexico nationwide was supposed to go to ULSD, but they never did and are still "in violation". Although rumor has it parts of Baja have ULSD - problem is - without 100% verification I wouldn't trust it.

I don't know how often you go or how many miles you drive IN Mexico, but if you got an Aux tank with 90 gals. - filled up in San Diego. Even my low end MPG of 13 in city driving, with a long bed truck would give me around 1650 miles of range. Of course running vacation style with the 4 of us on the highway I get an average of 17... which translates to 2040 miles of range. San Diego to Baja is around 500 miles... Again, you know what you need and do better than I do. If you are spending a month down there, pulling a fiver, it may not be practical.