Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

U-joint Experts

Old 01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
U-joint Experts

I know this isn't a diesel question, but all the wise people drive 6.0's so I'll ask this here.

I rebuilt my rear driveshaft yesterday, using Ford OEM U-joints (no grease fitting). I think it all went well, but they shipped 3 complete sets of snap rings with each U-joint. They are color coded and each is approx .002" different in thickness.

Now, setting U-joints is a rather crude affair, even using our arbor press. Even more crude if you did it with a hammer like the Autozone guy. It seems to me like the variety of thicknesses is so that you can fine tune the end play. But in .002" increments? That is really down to an RCH.

I ended up using the thinnest, and I've got no end play that I can feel. Very nice fit and it drives nice at high speed. I had to get the cups well seated before even the thinnest clips would fit.

Question is, what should I have done? How do you adjust the cup seating and select a snap ring?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Crash16
Senior User
Crash16 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My autozone u joint only came with one set, but as long as the cups find slide back and forth it should be fine. But I only had hammers and it was a real PITA.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Crash16
Senior User
Crash16 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
cant* darn phone.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
I normally reuse the old ones. you would use the one the ones that take up the largist amount of play in the grovce in the yoke.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
btw i fint it easer to use a hammer 2 sockets and a 2x4 to do them then any other way. it is however a learned art.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 PM
John Irwin
Elder User
John Irwin has a good reputation on FTE.John Irwin has a good reputation on FTE.John Irwin has a good reputation on FTE.
I have never bought a new one that had multiple choices for snap rings.
If a truck is old enough and had enough u-joints changed the way I change them (hammer and one inch bolt held in vicegrips for driving the cups in) the ends where the u-joint fits in will finally bow inwards slightly - those snap rings would be nice to have. The last one I just did in my 1990, I had to grind a little off the end of the u-joint shaft to get the snap ring to fit.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
I was prepared to reuse the snap rings, not knowing if the new units would come with them. Then when they came with an assortment it was a surprise.

I've installed them with a C-clamp before. So far I have avoided having to use a hammer AFAICR. But you can't beat the arbor press.