Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ras& Helwig ASBar or F350 OEM ASBar

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If I had a boat that big I'd get rid of my excursion and put a little side by side on the back of the yacht and live on that.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
If I had a boat that big I'd get rid of my excursion and put a little side by side on the back of the yacht and live on that.
Lived on her for 2 years, it gets small real quick. But it was a lot of fun. The Excursion was purchased as a Land Tender for the yacht, needed something big to haul all the crap that goes along with boating.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by luisp1966
I'm working towards retiring on a 45 ft leopard Catamaran and chartering peeps to the Virgin Island, Bahamas, and Cozumel.

But for now, I have to stay closer to land and pay off the mortgage.

That sounds like a great plan, Virgin Islands and south would be best for cat charters.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Your numbers are way low. My hitch is rated at 12,500, my ball mount is rated at 20,000 lbs (forged buyers) and my 2 5/16 ball is rated at 30,000 lbs.

C O M P L E T E L Y missing the point!!!

Nevermind...just try to wreck well away from me.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Youre completely missing the point... You're telling this guy to guy buy an F-450 that weighs LESS than the excursion to tow his 10,000 lb boat that is well within the limits of the stock truck, cooling system, brakes, hitch, and far far far below the capacity of a 2 5/16" ball mount and ball because of all the "weak links." Are there individual bolts that won't handle a 10,000 lb load on the excursion? Sure. The ones holding in the door handle, for example. But the truck is designed to pull far more than that. You think ford rates them to tow 12,500 lbs because they are gonna fall apart? How many lawsuits do you think they would have if that was the case??

Your argument that because its a lot of weight its too much is just silly and you haven't backed it up with anything.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Youre completely missing the point... You're telling this guy to guy buy an F-450 that weighs LESS than the excursion to tow his 10,000 lb boat that is well within the limits of the stock truck, cooling system, brakes, hitch, and far far far below the capacity of a 2 5/16" ball mount and ball because of all the "weak links."
What thread are you reading and responding to? Go back and red the 20 posts above this and find ANYWHERE I said to by a 450.

Guess what - you won't find it because I didn't type it. Stop twisting posts to fit your opinion.

Your argument that because its a lot of weight its too much is just silly and you haven't backed it up with anything.
No, YOU are replying to a comment I made ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THREAD because you happen not to agree with it.

If you READ, you will see I agreed with another posters comments that the best thing IN OUR OPINION was to stay within the factory specs. Here, if you didn't take time to READ the post, I'll link back to it:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11288070

I would suggest that YOU actually read a post and reply to the comments on THE THREAD, not commenting on stuff NOT CONTAINED within the thread.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's amazing how a "discussion" like this brings out such a broad range of information/mis-information.

I'm sure there are "EXPERTS" (Whatever definition you choose to use for that term) on this forum that will always dis-agree.

Bottom line is that it is an individual decision as to what you do , the safety risk you are willing to assume, and the potential for mechanical failures you are willing to live with.

I have a Class V hitch that is, in fact, rated for up to 12,500 lbs of combined trailer weight. I have a 2 5/16 ball that is rated more than that as well.

Ford recommendations from the towing tables for 2002 (w/ a 2.73. rear end and 7.3L diesel) indicate a maximum GCWR of 20,000 Lb & a maximum trailer weight of 11,000 ibs.

The EX weighs in at 8,065 lbs WITHOUT the typical gear in the back when we head off for a weekend and only the Driver aboard. So-----

Could I tow a 12,500 trailer - YES.
Would it exceed the Manufacturers Recommendations - YES
Would I exceed GCWR - YES

Would I do it ---- NO WAY. I have too much invested in the Trailer, Vehicle and my family.

BTW - I did the "yacht thing" as well (biggest was a 66,000 lb Kong & Halverson Motor Yacht). Decided it was time to do some land Yachting instead.

Best Wishes for Success and Safe Towing, D

Old 01-18-2012, 04:52 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Youre completely missing the point... You're telling this guy to guy buy an F-450 ...
Yea...that wasn't me. That was TXSailor:
Originally Posted by TXSailor
If you really have your heart set on the larger "yacht", then looks like you need a "larger" (F450/550 ?) truck as well.
PS: I do a lot of sailing and one of the boats is a J105 (10.5 meters long and 11 ft wide). We tow it w/ F350 and triple axle goose-neck trailer but w road restrictions (times, bridges, permits, etc.) Of course it is under 10,000 Lbs total weight too.
And from the look of it, I think he has some serious real world experience that backs up not trying to second-guess the engineers.

Lou:
I think TXSailor's advice is dead on and he has the experience to back it up.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Don't tow with an excursion; they are inherently unsafe. Spend your time private messaging other forum members to harass them about their opinions on towing.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Lou,

You are making a wise decision (as myself and others have stated).

Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
It's amazing how a "discussion" like this brings out such a broad range of information/mis-information.

I'm sure there are "EXPERTS" (Whatever definition you choose to use for that term) on this forum that will always dis-agree.

Bottom line is that it is an individual decision as to what you do , the safety risk you are willing to assume, and the potential for mechanical failures you are willing to live with.
Well said.

Guys, agree to disagree, but keep it civil. I've gotten "Report a Post" notifications because of the bickering.

All y'all are adults and can disagree with each other without getting heated.

I'm gonna leave the thread as is, but that's because it has calmed down.

Take it to PM's if you guys wanna argue with each other. And if one guy wants to PM and the other doesn't, just ignore the darn PM!

Lou, you've been presented with good info, and good opinions (right or wrong, it doesn't matter). More than enough to help you make up your mind.

Stewart

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM
luisp1966
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, very good info. So where do people go to weigh their load? I can estimate based on what my owners manual states as to the boat and trailer and avg weight of people and luggage or gear but would like a way to confirm the load weight. Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by luisp1966
Yes, very good info. So where do people go to weigh their load?
We take our FD trailers to the state scales on the highway. For us we just call ahead to make sure what direction scales are open, then call on the cell when we get in line with the rigs. Not sure if non-commercial drivers can get weighed where you are or not...your state's DMV page should give you some direction.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Stewart said it well !

Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just load it up. That's what I do. My old 6.0 ex would pull damn near anything. Had a single wide 60 foot mobile home tide to the back. Wide open throttle for 2 hours 58 mph!!

Unfortunately for the old 6.0 she died with 237,000 miles on her.(bad egr cooler and blown head gaskets)

Quick Reply: Ras& Helwig ASBar or F350 OEM ASBar