Sponsored by: Moser

2011 5.0 Engine Died At 600 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
2011 5.0 Engine Died At 600 Miles

As some of you remember, I traded in my 2011 Lariat last month because I had quite a bit of problems with it in the short time I had it. I also didn't care as much for the bells and whistles as I thought I would when I bought it.

I got such a good deal on a new 2011 Lariat Super Crew, that I traded. Shortly after getting the new truck, I had to take it to the dealer for two dents that I found the first time I washed it. I didn't see them when I took delivery because it was dark. I had not seen the truck before that because they got it from another dealer to get the color I wanted. I also had problems with the radio buttons on my steering wheel and the sirius button on the dash not working at times, damaged trim around the left side of the windshield, a discoloration the size of a nickel on the console that I noticed when taking delivery, and a ticking noise in the engine . After the truck was in the shop for 3 days, I get it back without anything being corrected. Parts had to be ordered for the console and trim piece.

I took the truck back in 10 days ago for the engine noise and for them to repair the dents that were there when I got it, along with more troubleshooting on my intermittent problems with the radio and steering wheel buttons. I get a call late yesterday afternoon with the verdict.....Ford says replace the engine due to something being wrong with the crankshaft.

I have to say, I'm pretty disgusted right now. I'm not so sure that I want this truck anymore because of all the issues I've had in the short time I've owned it. Service department at the dealer has been great, and the dealership has been talking about possibly getting me into a new truck. I'm just not so sure I want to try a a third truck. I've been a Ford man my entire life, but I'm disgusted with them right now. I certainly don't want a Chevy or a Dodge, so I don't know what I'm going to do at this point.

Thoughts?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Assuming they can get the other minor gremilins worked out, i'd get the dents pulled, take the new engine, shrug my shoulders, and move on with life.

unless you bought it as a collectors item where an engine swap would hurt your investment, it will only be a good thing.

i'm not downplaying your disgust with the situation, i'm just not one that would take a bath on a truck that came with a bad engine, just to get into another truck, (which might also have a bad engine, how do you know?) if the engine replacement fixes the mechanical fault.

maybe it would be helpfull to others to know which plant this truck or engine came from, so others can take note of their own vehicle?

This must just have been a Monday/Friday truck.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:07 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised they are replacing the whole engine with a cam issue...other manufacturers in the past have said engine noise is normal including GM and Toyota's piston slap. I would have expected they just replace the cam and lifters.

I understand your disgust, I was there myself on a Super Duty in 04'....it was a quite awhile before I would even consider driving another Ford...glad I tried another one because my last Super Duty and my new F150 both seem to be great trucks.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
UPDATE: Service Manager called me a little while ago. The General Manager of the dealership is not very happy that they did not catch the cosmetic issues with the truck before it was delivered. The dent removal guy tried, but could only get one out. He said the other one would need paint work. The manager is even more upset that the engine failed. He's out of the office today, but will be contacting me on Monday to discuss the issue. He apparently wants to get me into another truck. I'm just not sure that I want to try a third truck due to all of the bad luck I have had with the last two. Never thought I would drive anything other than a Ford, but the reality is that it may happen.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:31 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are hundreds of thousands of very happy F150 owners out there. Getting two "flaky" trucks in a row sucks, but it sounds like the general manager wants to do right by you.

Believe me, it could be worse - ask most any 6.0 PSD owner.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIXIEDOG1
I'm surprised they are replacing the whole engine with a cam issue...other manufacturers in the past have said engine noise is normal including GM and Toyota's piston slap. I would have expected they just replace the cam and lifters.
He said its a crankshaft not a cam. Wow, I feel for ya, I'd be just as ticked. If they are going to give you a new truck the same as what you have, why not? What happens while they R&R the engine, do you get something to drive I hope? I'm not sure which choice I would make but I DO hope it works out for you. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM
ebexp94
Senior User
It's definitely unfortunate that you're having bad luck, but I would keep the truck. Not every vehicle can be perfect, otherwise warranties wouldn't exist. Get the issues straightened out and enjoy your truck.

Instead of getting a different truck, why don't you see if you can get them to drop in a 6.2L at no charge?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, this sounds like silly bad luck, although the dents and cosmetic issues are damage, not quality control problems.

A bad crankshaft is serious, though. I would work with the general manager to simply get a different truck; let them fix this one and sell it as a "demo" or something like that. I would make sure to have a face to face with the Gen Manager and ask him if he would accept a new vehicle with this many issues for himself or his wife to drive. Compromise on color, or whatever you have to do, to simply get a different truck. Honestly, Ford's quality control is among the best in terms of pickups, and I would have to believe that a different truck, just on statistics alone, would be a good one.

I believe all the current 5.0 engines are built in Windsor, Ontario. Ford Engineering should definitely do a post mortem on the original engine to see what their issue might have been. Hopefully it was just some kind of fluke.

Good luck.

George

Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Third time a charm? Hope these folks can work it out that you get another vehicle. Best of luck and keep us posted. I would not want a new engine.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Well my Coastie brother, I'll chip in my two cents.

You were unhappy with the first truck and you traded it. Unfortunately the dealer had to do a DX to get you what you wanted. Had this truck originated at YOUR dealer, it's very unlikely that you would have had these cosmetic issues on top of a serious engine problem.

OK, my sincere recommendation is to work with the GM of the dealer and let him put you in a new 2012 truck that is on his lot. Take your time and give a good twice over and make sure it is perfect.

Take it home for a weekend with dealer tags on it and make sure that it's the one. If it's th e one, take it back on a Monday and do the paperwork and say good bye to the last truck.

At this point my nerves would be shot and I would feel the same as you but it's worth one more chance before you break camp with Ford and move on.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues with the trucks. Was the ticking you described when the outside tempature was less then 50 degrees? Mine ticks pretty loud when the tempature drops and I took it into the dealer and they told me it was normal. I have the same engine as my 2007 did (5.4l V8) and that engine didn't do it. It sounds like its coming more from the passenger side of the enigine.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 PM
olbear
New User
That's a bummer,
I would work with the GM. I would have no hesitation.
A lemon is a lemon, and having two in a row sucks!
Am sure the dealer will do you right, just stand your ground!
Good luck

Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Marko1
Freshman User
I have to agree with the sticking to it if they are trying to do you right and not passing off the issues as *Not a big deal* Kind of thing. I had a few issues when i owned my accord also Had a leak in a side body seam from day one that leaked into my trunk every time it rained(I park it for winter and it was outside and when i looked 3 months later) Everything was soaked and Mold was even growing in there! In a Brand new vehicle. But they tried i think 3 times before they finally found the problem factory forgot to seam fill metal by a window that they had to remove...Then My sat radio stopped working and Fog lights...But they fixed it every time and if i was buying a Car again i wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. But For me a truck suites better now so its all ford!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 AM
4VCobraSVT
Junior User
Man you have had a lot of issues for such a short time of ownership. It does sound like the dealer is pretty good and willing to work with you and i would ask them to take the truck back and put you in another one of your choosing or perhaps order one.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM
ReedRepower
Senior User
2 in a row?
I would get an upgrade from dealer(f250 4x4)for the same price

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Engine Died At 600 Miles