6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Onboard Air and Train Horn - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.

and surface to air missles...

Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did the Viair 10007 and the Shocker XL 4 horn kit before New Years.
I installed everything on the pass side frame rail.

Did you install the gauge in the cab ??
If yes, any pics ??

My gauges are just sitting in the center console side pocket right now and I am planning on building an enclosure like KG6EPF except I found a way to hide all the tubing straight out the front of the pocket by drilling a hole inside the console pocket.

Any other ideas for mounting the gauges ??

Here is KG6EPF's photo and I was planning on doing mine the same except my wires/hoses are hidden.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by my996duc1
I just did the Viair 10007 and the Shocker XL 4 horn kit before New Years.
I installed everything on the pass side frame rail.

Did you install the gauge in the cab ??
If yes, any pics ??

My gauges are just sitting in the center console side pocket right now and I am planning on building an enclosure like KG6EPF except I found a way to hide all the tubing straight out the front of the pocket by drilling a hole inside the console pocket.

Any other ideas for mounting the gauges ??

Here is KG6EPF's photo and I was planning on doing mine the same except my wires/hoses are hidden.
I saw KG6EPF's photos of the trick little box he made. I opted to skip the gauge as I really wasn't concerned what the exact pressure is in the tank. It is always somewhere between 110 and 150 psi and that is good enough for me. The switch next to the gauge is redundant also because I used the upfitter instead.

Grane installed his gauge and a coupler inside the fuel door. He drilled a two inch hole in a flat space in there and it looks really cool. He said it was actually easier than it sounds. He also has, count it, 4 couplers around his truck.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did the drill hole thing to run my wire and air lines into that side pocket. My install is not quite as refined as you alls but basically the same.

The gauges in that location have served me very well, air bags and compressor tank. Test of time has proven to be good as well. I have only replaced 1 fuse after a little over a year of service and I use the system a lot. Nothing has broken, fallen apart, or given me any concern.

I really like the VIAIR product, installed the system on 3 trucks now. #4 is coming soon, my local dealer asked me to stop by and show a guy my set up as he was buying a new truck and asked about some things. I showed him the system and he looked at me and said "how much to get you to put it in my truck?".

Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
I can understand the air system could come in handy now and then but the high dollar triain horns I would have a hard time justifying.

So, what I did, pick up one of these off eBay:

Black Air Horn Train Horn Kit Dual Trumpet 12V Car/Truck/Motorcycle Very Loud | eBay

I think I paid $17 for mine shipped. Took out factory horn, and mounted the two trumpets with the factory bracket. Zip tied the "compressor" to the support and ran the hoses. Plugged in the existing horn leads to the compressor and volia'. Instant loud and annoying air horn on demand with a 10 minute install. If the compressor or trumpets go out, it's simple to replace and under $20 buys a whole new kit. No, it is not "train horn loud" but trust me, you won't enjoy standing in front of it and cars scatter when I blast it.

Tried to get pics of the trumpets but the black on black makes them near invisible and impossible to photograph with the grille on.

For air, I just throw a porta-bubble in the back.
Here is a pic of the trumpets I mounted since I had the grille off...

If you have more dollar$ than sense, buy the TrainHorns but here is an effective cheapo alternative. The onboard air is still a great idea.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Another fine job, love the video Epic, well done, Gerry

Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Grane installed his gauge and a coupler inside the fuel door. He drilled a two inch hole in a flat space in there and it looks really cool. He said it was actually easier than it sounds. He also has, count it, 4 couplers around his truck.
Thanks Epic, great subject and thread, which I know is going to cost me more money. One thing that has been touched upon, but I haven't seen a clear answer, can I install this Viair system now for the train horn, and then tap off of it for air bags later? Do you need gauges in the cab to adjust the air bags?

Is there any chance we can get Grane to post pictures of the gauge and the coupler inside the fuel door? That sounds like one cool installation.

Once again, thanks Epic.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 PM
RogerM
Junior User
Graet video as usual. Question for you. What did you do about airing you air bags? You had a wireless air lift system in the same location if I remember right.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dixoncity
Thanks Epic, great subject and thread, which I know is going to cost me more money. One thing that has been touched upon, but I haven't seen a clear answer, can I install this Viair system now for the train horn, and then tap off of it for air bags later? Do you need gauges in the cab to adjust the air bags?

Is there any chance we can get Grane to post pictures of the gauge and the coupler inside the fuel door? That sounds like one cool installation.

Once again, thanks Epic.
I use the VIAIR system to feed air to my Firestone ride rite airbags. It is simple to do. Purchase the air bags and purchase the Firestone gauge/valve that is non powered. They have a specific valve manifold that handles inflation/de-inflation when you have an existing air source. All you need then is 1 air line from the tank to the Firestone system, which in my case is just a T fitting behind the VIAIR switch/pressure gauge the splits to the Firestone gauge right next to it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend

Once again, thanks Epic.
No need to wait around. I took a picture inside his fuel door this morning. It looks great and shows his tank pressure at 150 psi. Note the air coupler in there as well.

It's a gray, rainy day today. Where is all the snow? It's Utah for Pete's sake!

I do believe his truck looks more awesome than mine and I'm just not sure how to feel about that. At least the poser Toyota highlights American superiority...

Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Thanks for posting Epic - I was going to try to get my air installed this weekend and had not thought about putting gauge behind fuel door - Since I have the 6.2 it looks like I can use the DEF-spout hole that has a rubber plug in it..

Need to measure to see, but might can find a gauge that will fit hole - so no drilling...

Thanks for the idea...

Old 01-19-2012, 06:24 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I do believe his truck looks more awesome than mine and I'm just now sure how to feel about that. At least the poser Toyota highlights American superiority...
Now that you mention it, I do like his wheels, do you know what kind they are?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM
GR8Dane
Junior User
Now that you mention it, I do like his wheels, do you know what kind they are?
What's up guys. Can't believe epic stole a photo! Been meaning to post that.

Anyway, wheels are 20x8.5 XD Revolvers in chrome. Lots of trimming to fit cause they are wide. Perfect under the flares though.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
GR8Dane
Junior User
Oh, and I think Epic and I are meeting in the parking lot after school tomorrow to certify whose horn is louder. I'm sure he'll have a video soon after, unless he get's blasted!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
bobsplus
Senior User
great job, what did it set you back???

Quick Reply: Onboard Air and Train Horn - VIDEO