1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anybody ever receive/give a random act of kindness?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Anybody ever receive/give a random act of kindness?

With the Holidays behind us and life is on it's way to whatever normal is, I wanted to say..
A few years ago. and different occasions...
I have given money to a needy single mother that was waitressing part time. Didn't know her, didn't need to, spent less than $20 for dinner and left her a $100 dollar tip. I gave it to her directly so she didn't have to share it. It felt great! and there was a little tear in her eye and I left. I also paid for a dinner once, a mom, dad, and three little girls. I heard their conversations and it was just something that came to me...I told the waitress to give me their bill and not say a word to them about who paid. I sat their until I saw them drive away and then left shortly after. That's a powerful experience for me...

This year just after Christmas, I come home from work and notice this manilla envelope sticking out of the mailbox. I grab it and it's a catalog from classic haulers F1 parts. I didn't have one and though "HEY AWESOME" an new catalog for the truck! also inside the envelope was a reddish sheet of paper.
I pull it out and it says TO: JEFF.... FROM: (an FTE member)(name withheld)
$50 dollar gift and it said "Thanks for the help" That $50 feels like a million bucks...not for monetary value, but for faith in knowing that their are good people out there still! That's just like a fresh springtime sun rising, sitting on the porch with a hot cup of coffee. (my version)
I thank you all for your knowledge, patience, and this forum of friendship.
To each person, who take's a moment to think of someone else...thank you.
and to the FTE member that sent me the gift...you know who you are...
Thank You!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
That's pretty cool Jeff.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only the world had more gentlemen such as you Jeff. Nuff said.

john

Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lexcoe
If only the world had more gentlemen such as you Jeff. Nuff said.

john
Thanks! But if you could experience my everyday-life existence...I probably would lose that "gentleman" title...

Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awesome to hear and has me inspired to pass it on.One act of kindness can start something far more imaginable in people.I watched video on You Tube the other day,and it started out one person helping another on the street.It was very humbling to watch what it created and how many people passed it on. It was like a virus spreading around ,but it was a good one.May all of us be blessed this year with a act of kindness in some way to make this a better world to live in.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
it is the way it should be..I was taught to help where I can and learn from the ones that help me ..Jeff has the same Idea we should all share ...years ago after a motorcycle accident ,unable to work ,,I volentered at the local food bank ..honestly to feed my kids ,not because of any need to help ..but because working for the food bank made me less a parasite .after 2 years there I started my own bisness doing hauling..I now have 3 "unemployable " handicapped " guy's ..like me that have a better outlook on life now ..I think we have all been taught to treat others as we want to be treated ,,and give a hand up ,not a hand out..to help one person each day..thank's Jeff for shareing

Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a friend who went to Iraq to work for Halliburton and then Fluor for 5 years. He would still be working there, but he came back two Thanksgivings ago and found out that he had cancer in his liver that had spread to his colon. He has had part of his liver "re-sectioned" and been on and off of Chemo for over two years now. He was on Fluor's disability for the first year, drawing a small salary, now on his last month of Cobra. When the insurance runs out he will really be in trouble. I have been helping him out as much as I can, but my work has gotten slow the last few months. He lives about an hour from me, but drives in days when he isn't at the hospital or clinic and helps me either with work (I am a cabinet maker, self employed) or with my truck even though I can't pay him. He says he wants to because I have been so good to him. He never complains or whines even though he has a lot to complain about - I am learning a lot of how to be a better person just being around him. I hope he beats this cancer, and let me pass one thing on here: stay away from plastic bottles for drinking, they are made with BHA that leeches out when exposed to either high or low temperatures. Halliburton stored the bottled water outside in Iraq where the temp sometimes hits over 140 in the summer, then the workers would ice the bottles down to drink it. Many have come home with cancer...

Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've received and given - Big warm fuzzes from both - But the giving fuzzes were by far the fuzziest and the warmest

Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
Jeff.... good on you !!! paying it forward is the only way to go. I learned that when my grandson was at St Jude getting cancer treatments. There was no way I could ever repay the kindnesses, help, prayers and support we received then...so I look for ways to pay it forward.

Our pastor gives us a challange every Christmas season to do just that to show people that God loves them. Pay for someone's meal in line behind you at a drivein... tip big (like you did) send to movie tickets secretly to a pair of tired new parents and volunteer to babysit for them. Lots of ways to be 'random' in your giving... and always do it secretly... keeping your light under the bushel as the bible says... karma comes around and I'd rather have good karma jump me than bad... you will never know when or where but it's coming.

I've found that I get 10 times what I give. keep doing what you're doing... lots of folks need some help

later
John

Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Just try to be kind and considerate. Golden rule. Let some one in in heavy traffic. Hold the door for an old person. Pay for the meal for the young soldier and his wife at a restaurant. Do a good turn daily.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
I have had a few FTE members help me out with parts. I've passed savings on to other members when I can.

20 years ago. We use to go to the same bar to watch our games... normally having the same waitress normally having 3 to 9 of us at our table. 5 of us talked and agreed at the begining of her last year at ASU we each gave her a $100 each for books. And we would do the same for her second semester. So we payed of her books for last year of college. It was cool... She kept us informed of how school was going and 2 of us went to her graduation... Use to get a Christmas card for a few years afterwards... No I wasn't trying to date her... and Yes she was hot, but we all knew her boyfriend (one of the bartenders).

Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 AM
JPA76
Junior User
It is a good feeling helping someone. I have a couple times paid for somebodies food behind me in the drive-thru. Never get to see their reactions though.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JPA76
It is a good feeling helping someone. I have a couple times paid for somebodies food behind me in the drive-thru. Never get to see their reactions though.
3 days before Christmas, a truck driver friend from the twin cities told me about an IH pickup that was for sale, the father in law who was building it passed away a couple years ago, it sat in her dad's garage since, she needed money, and wanted it to sell right away, but not to just anyone who would ruin it, scrap it, etc.. I asked if it was an R series, since that was what I've always wanted, but he didn't know. I called her, she described it, I said I'll be down. So, 2 days before Christmas I drove 4 hours to buy a pickup sight unseen. She said her kids thank me, and that they can enjoy Christmas now. I gave her the money ( I didn't have it on-hand, I had to hide a couple bills from the wife, and charge them on a credit card), and she gave me the title. On my way back home (another 4 hours) I stopped at a McDonald's drive-thru, and had this happen. Someone in front of me paid for my #2. Coincidence? I don't know, and I don't ask. (I bought it to help her out, not that I was looking for another pickup)

Anyway, I had to arrange transport to get it home. So I talked to a coworker with a trailer, who was interested in a Model A cab from Tuck (HAMB) and on Christmas Eve we headed back down. I bought the cab for him, Tuck got his money, she and her kids got their money, her dad got his garage back, and I got my truck home. We all walked away happy.

Other times, I've given parts to other FTE members, and FTE members have given parts to me. If it means one more old Ford gets back on the road, I'm all for it.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
It would be hard to find a better concept being discussed on these postings. I have had the good fortune of being helped and helping others become a natural way of life. It is hard for me to imagine going through life any other way. An important part of this is appreciating the help we receive and recognizing that we are capable of helping others. Thanks for getting this discussion started.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:12 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
Ive giving and received more then i wish when m friends both personal and professional found out i had cancer they all called and volunteered there time to make sure my business stayed afloat if it wasn't for 2 good guys who worked a few days each for free i would of lost a big contract

Quick Reply: Anybody ever receive/give a random act of kindness?