Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project TGM

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm maybe i should look into that too either before or after i do the work i need to do. I have a pressure washer but putting that much harmful chemicals into the water system would be bad. I would think the places that do that work have a separator in the drains that will mostly filter the crap out of it. My frame isn't super bad but it could use a good blasting then painting. But that would wait till i have a way to remove the body and transport the frame to a sand blasting shop. My neighbor did that.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just let the crap fly in to rocks or put cardboard under to catch most of the grease so it doesn't make that much of a mess lol. But if I bring it down to my dads work I can use the real powerful pressure washer and all the grease goes down to the holding tank.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That wouldn't be too bad. I have gravel but our pressure washer is a cheapie one the falls apart when we use it. It isn't going to be strong enough to break through most of the grease. The bottom of my truck has some sort of really old undercoating/mud build up on it that kind of dusts off and gets in my eyes haha. I think the front axle is the worst part besides the t-case. The motor isn't as bad just kind of oily from the valve covers and stuff leaking. I bet the rear part of the intake leaks too since i did kind of a bad job sealing it but it isn't bad enough to worry about. It's just a little oil.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
That wouldn't be too bad. I have gravel but our pressure washer is a cheapie one the falls apart when we use it. It isn't going to be strong enough to break through most of the grease. The bottom of my truck has some sort of really old undercoating/mud build up on it that kind of dusts off and gets in my eyes haha. I think the front axle is the worst part besides the t-case. The motor isn't as bad just kind of oily from the valve covers and stuff leaking. I bet the rear part of the intake leaks too since i did kind of a bad job sealing it but it isn't bad enough to worry about. It's just a little oil.
I found a way to make intakes seal perfect and never leak.

Cement the cork end gaskets to the block, then use Honda Bond 4 (great stuff) on top of the gasket and on the intake sealing surface, I did that twice and it never leaked. One time the stupid FAIL PRO instructions told me to install the exhaust cross over block off's under the gasket and not to cut the gasket out, the only thing that sealed the water ports was the honda bond 4, but it didn't seal completely since it was all effed up from the cross over block off's, it filled my #4 intake with coolant, didn't even get to start it. Needless to say I ate a $40 gasket set. I'm still pissed about that, at least the guy on the phone was nice enough to tell me nicely that it was my fault.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Nice, i didn't get front and back gaskets since i have the 400 performer intake. They don't use a valley pan or front/back gaskets so i had to used RTV to make one. I made them too small while i was trying not to allow it to spill into the valley, turns out i had a ton of room. I got it to seal but only just. It will need to be re-done eventually.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Wow they don't come with end gaskets? mine doesn't use a valley either. I noticed some gasket sets don't come with them.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Nope. And everyone i talked to said they just make their own instead of buying them.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
That's what I always hear too, I don't like the idea of just running a thick bead of silicone, you either get too much or too little. The PO did that with the intake he gave me and there was silicone in the intake and water ports, Probably down in his engine too lol.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I only put a thick bead on the front and back. For the port edges i did a thin layer, enough to create a nice seal and hold the gasket on when flipped over.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
From the looks of what that guy did with my intake he put 3/4 of the tube on there lol, man that stuff was horrible to get off. It took me hours.That Honda Bond 4 stuff just comes off pretty easy unlike that ultra black stuff. The orange RTV seems better to get off than the black stuff lol

Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I think i used the red high temp stuff. The old crap i had came off pretty easy and i had a small portable shopvac to suck up the small pieces that could fall into the heads.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
The cast iron intake that I took off my engine had this clear stuff on it, this stuff was horrible. It just peeled off in one piece and not a piece of it was stuck to the block lol. They used it on the dipstick tube and it was some serious junk, it leaked like mad for months until I fixed it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That's not good. My dipstick for the tranny got pretty bent up when we kind of "dropped" the transmission about 1 foot off the tranny jack. The dipstick was still attached and got bent pretty badly. We unbent it and added some rtv to the o-ring at the bottom to ensure a seal. Seems to have worked i guess.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I put an O ring and a tiny bit of that honda bond stuff on there and it sealed it up, but with 7 quarts in the oil pan it will still leak just slightly. But right now I have like 6 quarts in it and it hasn't leaked at all.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That's good. I'm not exactly sure how much my engine takes. I have heard it takes 6 quarts and i have heard it takes 6.5 quarts... I usually dump 6 in and see if it needs more.

Quick Reply: Project TGM