Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud is your diesel Ex

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I won't say the 6.0 is overly loud...but it is definately clackety. I've given up on drive-throughs. They just can't hear. I just drive up to the window now and place my order there
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
When we first got ours and my daughter (5 at the time) was with me driving home she said it sounded like her school bus. Yes, a 6.0 is loud especially when it is cold started but that is the sound of power.
My wife has said the same thing to me. I've come home around the same time my daughter was due home riding the bus. My wife heard me coming and was in front yard thinking it was the bus.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
its diesel etiquette to always shut your truck off at drive throughs!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM
gmcbride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really???? Or should they have better technology? Not everyone drives a Prius. Just sayin'....

Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Junx69
Junior User
Originally Posted by gmcbride
Really???? Or should they have better technology? Not everyone drives a Prius. Just sayin'....
Yeah, give another American a job. Sit someone out there at the speaker to call my order back in so I don't have to wear out my starter and batts any quicker!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Sader
Senior User
It seems my 6.0 is quieter than other 6.0's side by side but I attribute that to the synthetic oil I run, or lack of synthetic they do not run.

My 7.3L idling next to my 6.0L - the 7.3L is quieter.

Dunno, but when cold and lightly loaded the 7.3 rattles the house as it pulls away. I love it!

Cheers

Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
There is a company in diesel power magazine that runs ads saying they have a "stealth" tune that makes your diesel quiet enough to go through drive throughs. I have no idea how the hell that would work but I've always thought it was interesting.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by JaySVX
This guy's probably sounds louder than mine though.
The steering wheel **** really sets it apart

(you should try resizing that photo so we don't have to scroll to the right to read everyone's posts)

Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hasteranger
There is a company in diesel power magazine that runs ads saying they have a "stealth" tune that makes your diesel quiet enough to go through drive throughs. I have no idea how the hell that would work but I've always thought it was interesting.
DP Tuner offers a drive-thru tune. Not sure how it works either. I thought about splurging on it but I don't use drive-thrus often and I've had pretty good luck yelling at the speaker and them hearing me.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sader
It seems my 6.0 is quieter than other 6.0's side by side but I attribute that to the synthetic oil I run, or lack of synthetic they do not run.

My 7.3L idling next to my 6.0L - the 7.3L is quieter.

Dunno, but when cold and lightly loaded the 7.3 rattles the house as it pulls away. I love it!

Cheers
It's all about pitch. A high voice sounds louder than a low voice at the same decibel level. But the low voice carries farther. I bet the 7.3 is easier to hear from inside the house.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Sader
Senior User
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
It's all about pitch. A high voice sounds louder than a low voice at the same decibel level. But the low voice carries farther. I bet the 7.3 is easier to hear from inside the house.

Yep! Exactly! Sounds good too! I like the way both of them sound in different ways.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
I was on the drumline in hs... snare drums hurt your ears but its the bass drums you hear from a mile away....

Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
A co worker just bought either an 11 or 12 F250 4 door 4X4 6.7L Diesel and it is super quiet, hardly any vibration either. I saw something strange, it has a large fuel filler door for fuel and some other additive? The exhaust doesn't smell of diesel either. He said it the new diesel emissions stuff. Weird...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Junx69
Junior User
Originally Posted by simplyrob
A co worker just bought either an 11 or 12 F250 4 door 4X4 6.7L Diesel and it is super quiet, hardly any vibration either. I saw something strange, it has a large fuel filler door for fuel and some other additive? The exhaust doesn't smell of diesel either. He said it the new diesel emissions stuff. Weird...
Yeah, that's a urea based fluid that gets injected in to the exhaust. More emissions control equipment. The current diesels are damn near zero emissions.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
there is no longer an exception for diesels so they now have to meet the same criteria as gas, even though thats not fair since diesels generally get better economy to offset the emissions. I would not care to own a diesel newer than the one I have. Did you know the new ones actually have two seperate cooling systems??? one for the motor and one for the emissions stuff. I think I heard they even take different coolant!! thats just a bit too complex for me. Not like the newer direct injection gasoline engines are any better... I was finally feeling like I could troubleshoot fuel injection.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 7.3 is stock and loud. I enjoy the fact that I can hear it start when I use my command start, I don't even have to look out the window lol.

Quick Reply: How loud is your diesel Ex