EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Another Ecoboost failure story

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There was some discussion on the Turbo Chrysler groups about drilling a small drain hole in the bottom. Since the Chrysler CAC flows upward from the inlet it's not as big a problem in carrying the liquid into the TB as it is building up muck.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Twistedwrench
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vag turbo Volkswagen,Audi group) engines tend to accumulate oil in the intercooler. Water on the other hand is crazy !

Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Twistedwrench
The vag turbo Volkswagen,Audi group) engines tend to accumulate oil in the intercooler. Water on the other hand is crazy !
oil in the intercooler would bother me as its indicitive of oil passing through the turbo from bearing seals, water makes more sense because when you compress air it gets hot, when you cool air that has been heated, water condenses out and plates out on inside of the cooler, if you are just loafing along with light throttle openings you may not have enough velocity to pull the moisture or water through the intake system, heavy class 7 and 8 semitrucks are usually operating at much higher loads and move a lot of air through the coolers.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Red460
Senior User
If this don't get fixed, definetly a lemon. Under state law you can return it (California). Let them eat it, i'd buy a different truck (engine). I know a coworker who was having some probs with his dodge he just bought and was constantly at the dealership, till they finally bought it back, they had special mechanics fly in just to work on his truck and still couldn't fix it. I hope you can get this resolved.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, my friend with the E-Boost engine problem (again), found out today that their dealer says the problem is moisture building up in the bottom of the intercooler and being sucked into the engine. They asked when it would be fixed and they said Ford hasn't come up with a fix and to just drive it slow. My friend told them it sounds more like a lemon problem. Is this a problem with everyone not in a very dry location? Why haven't we heard of this problem way before this?

Pap

Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Darcampo
Like some others here, I am not trying to repress your feelings of disgust towards your new vehicle. nobody should have to experience this when shelling out the kind of money these trucks cost. however, I am here to tell you that there is hope in these trucks. I have put 16k miles in just 4 months on my ecoboost all problem free. I have towed my 4000lb boat several times, my 7000 lb trailer a few times, and 3 loads at 9900 lbs (3900 lb trailer and 6000 lbs of pellets). I truly hope your problems end soon and that you can enjoy your new vehicle as I have mine. They are good trucks and hopefully, the new dealership can get you on the right path towards getting it fixed. Please update us when you finally get a resolution.

To the one waiting 3 or 4 years to buy an ecoboost, the 3.5L ecoboost is not a new engine for ford. The engine has been out for 4 years I believe. It was only slightly modified with bigger turbos for the F150 to give it more torque, however, the engine was in several Ford vehicles before 2011. Unlike the 5.0 or the 6.2, which are brandy new for 2011.
Well, to start with, if a vehilce was 99% perfect, that mean statistically it would have no less than 15 defective components. So lets get on with reality, Yes, everyone's vehicle should be right the 1st time, but there is also very good old advice, never, every buy the 1st year of any new production (major component)- regardles of all (or none) oem testing, no one will know the issues that exists until 10-20 thousand of the units are built under mass production conditions for a while (things change) and drivers get to do what they do (the human element).....by the 2nd year any major problems have been identified & fixed....

The 3rd year, time to buy! and the best typical production year to buy of any vehicle, the last year!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Isn't the 2012 version the second year for the E-Boost engine? I thought they ran some of their test engines 500,000 miles; and they didn't have the moisture-intercooler problem in all of those miles? Did they change the design from the original? If this is a basic design flaw, seems to me that almost every E-Boost engine would be having the problem as well. ????

Pap

Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
The EB has been in the Lincolns since 2009. It's the same basic engine but with different electronics and tuned differently for the trucks.

I live in SE Virginia where we get different weather every day it seems. We have some very wet weather, cold, dry and hot. I've never had any issues driving in the rain or the truck losing power when it's wet.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Maybe Spearco will come out with a better design for these intercooled EB's that don't have any moisture problems.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The EB has been in the Lincolns since 2009. It's the same basic engine but with different electronics and tuned differently for the trucks.

I live in SE Virginia where we get different weather every day it seems. We have some very wet weather, cold, dry and hot. I've never had any issues driving in the rain or the truck losing power when it's wet.
Very true, but, different purpose, driving styles, use and chassis configurations play a substantial role on physical & operations stresses.....meaning, within the 1st 12 months there will be a lot of new issues never seen befor, during the 2nd 12 month period, a few more will show up and permanent fixes will be identified and implemented, by the 3rd 12 months, production changes will have been incorporated, now it is time to buy.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
I am now being told that Ford does not have a fix for this problem. Apparently my friends E-Boost is fouling #1 spark plug when she goes WOT after she is driving slow or steady. The moisture builds up and when the turbo kicks in, the extra dose of moisture fouls the plug. I am really curious why more of these engines aren't doing this if it is an E-Boost thingy. I am thinking it has to be a computer issue for it to be only happening to a small percent of the total. Why can't Ford figure up an "old" flash that keeps this problem from happening. We had a strawberry festival near to us in Poteet, Texas this past weekend and Ford had a huge site with all of their new vehicles including factory folks with engine cutouts, etc. I talked to their chief engine guy and he claims to know nothing of this problem with the E-Boost engine. He took down a bunch of information and said he was going to give it to the main Ford E-Boost engineer. I also told him about this forum and if he really wants to know what's going on with any of their new vehicles or engines, that he would be well advised to lurk some of these threads. Who knows if Ford will really look, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

Pap

Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Good thinking, Pap. Hard to say if they'll look or not, but at least they know there are some problems. If they are sincere about building the best they'll look. Time will tell.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 AM
rossn2
Freshman User
strawberry festival near to us in Poteet, Texas this past weekend
They still truck in Strawberries from California? Only real Poteet strawberries are within the fair grounds, which you have to pay to get in, unless the festival has changed?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
The on line price was $10 per person($15 at the gate) so the wife and I went for $20 on Saturday. We saw a bunch of entertainment including Marty Stewart, Ocube Sisters, a damned good rodeo, and ate some good food including strawberry ice cream and short cake. Friday night was a free night but we didn't go, mostly a kids deal. Still, a really good time for $20 and it's only 7 miles from where we live in Pleasanton. I'd go again.

Pap

Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

Yep mine with 7,000 miles on it now had to take 2 trips to TN from FL in the last 3 weeks, the truck flys and coming from a V-10 getting 17mpg at 75mph is a dream and 20mpg at 60mph is wonderful. Did get 25mph driving the 130 miles in the Keys

But it hit me, pulling onto the interstates if I floor it it goes flat boggs down, have to let up on the gas a couple of times before it kicks in seems to do this around 30mph.
Now if I am going 60mph and kick it down no problem
If I gradually give it gas no problem getting up to 70mph
If I am at a stop light i can kick it down and light up the wheels.

But I really noticed pulling on from a rest stop where you are going around 30 mph
then you get on the straight away and step on it to get up to speed, falls flat and boggs down til I release it and push down again might need to do this a couple of times.

Might have to take it in

any help on what it might be

Quick Reply: Another Ecoboost failure story