Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I won't be buying Bilstein shocks again

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Crazy_Jim
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
A few years back (almost 6 years now), I had some great conversations with Shane at the West Coast offices of Bilstein.

Shane still works there and is a way laid back dude. The other guy to talk to there is Joel Ward. Although he and shane work more of the serious offroad department, they've built me a few sets of custom prototype shocks for my Jeep.

Originally Posted by AMG-SM
What makes you think the shocks should extend on their own?

The Konis on my track car don't.
The Bilsteins on my Spec Miata don't.
The stock shocks on my Mazda, BMW, Mini don't either.

Too many people think that a shock should act as a spring....
You're right, not all gas charged shocks extend when the band is cut. Depending on the pressure of nitrogen in the shocks, they may ride static, which for a performance car shock is normal. Most "heavy duty" shocks are just your average normal gas charged bladder shock. What you guys need to understand, is that because it doesn't automatically extend doesn't mean it's junk. Run it, feel how it rides, that will tell you. They get stuck in a single position from shipping, they get air bubbles, the seals get stuck etc. Just run 'em. If Bilstein says they're in spec then they're in spec!

Originally Posted by williamg4x4
I have a set of Monroe Reflex shocks on my F250 and love them they are great. 2 years old and great will buy again. 2003 7.3 4x4

You'll notice most what I call "White Rockets" or "House Shocks" are pretty much all equal. There's nothing inside one that's not inside the other. The only SLIGHT difference you may see is material thicknesses and piston design inside the shock. However, pick your poison for cheapo shocks guys... They're all the same aside from a slight valving difference.

I've got a set of Bilstein's on my Jeep... and I love them. Although they set me back a bit more than your average F250 shock

Old 01-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Jeep.

I normally find dealing with someone who is going to sell you something is much more pleasant than the person you talk to about returning it. Especially if they don't realize these forms exist. Too bad those two cool laid back dudes don't work in the warranty division. They probably don't because they are cool and laid back which happens to be a good thing in the Sales division.

As I posted before, I have had my shocks off years after they came out of the box. They were very strong. I saw my dad's shocks. They were done.

Regardless of what I or my dad thinks a shock SHOULD DO, his truck rides better with the new shocks than it did with the old ones. And his truck and mine will not have a Bilstein product on it again. I never expected them to last for ever. In fact anything over 3 years is gravy as far as I am concerned. I just expected them to do right. Nothing more, nothing less. Fool me once......

Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
What makes the Bilsteins so much better than, and more costly than the "white rockets"? Just trying to educate myself. I'm all for paying more for better quality but I'd like to understand what I'm getting when I do it.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nissandoc
What makes the Bilsteins so much better than, and more costly than the "white rockets"? Just trying to educate myself. I'm all for paying more for better quality but I'd like to understand what I'm getting when I do it.

Nissan, the Bilsteins are a very good shock. I don't think you will be unhappy with them. My rear shocks have taken a beating hauling the 5er across the country 5 or 6 times. Those who have done it know there are some annoying rough interstates along the way.

I think the main mistake my dad and I made was not buying them from a local place where they know your name and appreciate the business.

My next shocks will be purchased at the same place that took my word for it on my alternator. I was on vacation in AZ 2 summers ago and had to buy a new alternator. When I got home I went to the place I bought it and explained what happened. I didn't have his alternator because I had to give it to the only parts store within 100 miles as a core return. I showed him the receipt from a different store and he refunded me his store's cost of the alternator. LIFETIME WARRANTY......

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If he has the right phone numbers or email addresses, maybe Crazy Jim could alert the top brass at Bilstien about this thread and let them speak for themselves on this matter.

If they have had a change of policy, or have instructed their warranty claims department to "tighten up" and deny more, I'd like to know about it from them.

Pop

Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to be honest - When I first saw this thread listed on the 7.3L Powerstroke page I passed over it about 3 times. Then 3-4 days later I see it is still alive and strong so I finally read the thread and glad I did.

afterwards it made me wonder about my experience....................

I have had the same set of Bilsteins on my F-250 for about 6 or 7 years without a problem, mainly used for towing our 5th wheel camper. I put them on the Excursion last spring and after 3 months one of the rear shocks started leaking. I though - wow, this is weird since I never had a problem with a Bilstein shock before. Thankfully I purchased them from Cary at CT Performance (www.ctperformanceinc.com/) and I had a new one within a week at no cost.

Orezona - man, I am sorry to hear about your Dad's experience, especially with the numerous attempts with Bilstein's customer service. I really hope they come up to the plate and make it right. I would hate to see a company with such a good name in the past go down the wrong path. As you know, I have recommended them numerous times over the years.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
AMG-SM
Senior User
Got it. Thanks. Some assumptions I had about the shock in the application may be wrong.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Monroe Reflex for me. Better have the bolt ready when you cut the strap.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
thanks as always everyone. I was going to type the word 'shock' into the search window today.

I have a set of Bilsteins on a German vehicle and they make that thing ride like a dream. I actually seek out curvy roads with big hills (hmm, seems I do the same thing not when considering roads too, hmm) to drive on, whereas before it handled like a sheet of plywood stuck vertically on to the front end of a chassis.

So I have been thinking about replacing the 292K miles old originals from Ford with Bilsteins. I think I still am, but it is a hard decision. I prefer quality parts that will last.

Are the Monroe Reflex shocks a better grade from them? I've definitely not liked what I've seen out of some of their cheap shocks.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive never really cared for the bilsteins on my truck at all. The ranchos that were on previous rode much nicer in all road conditions. SO far the bilsteins have seem to held up fine, I think they just ride terribley.

I followed the masses here when I purchased mine, and I do kinda regret it. I drive alot of rough gravel roads, and could have used a better riding shock.

Cant comment on the customer service though, just relaying my personal shock info.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Ive never really cared for the bilsteins on my truck at all. The ranchos that were on previous rode much nicer in all road conditions. SO far the bilsteins have seem to held up fine, I think they just ride terribley.

I followed the masses here when I purchased mine, and I do kinda regret it. I drive alot of rough gravel roads, and could have used a better riding shock.

Cant comment on the customer service though, just relaying my personal shock info.
Which Ranchos were on your truck?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
Which Ranchos were on your truck?
I cant recall offhand. The were red and white, maybe rancho 9000's?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My Bilsteins are holding up fine and at first I thought they were great but after they have been on a while I would rate them as average performance. I would buy something else next time. Not Rancho. Been there done that. I may try the Monroe Reflex.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I cant recall offhand. The were red and white, maybe rancho 9000's?
Probably the RS5000 considering your description.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
DavidE
Mountain Pass
Happy with Bilsteins

I put the yellow Bilsteins on my f350 to help to reduce sway with my in bed camper about 7 years back. Helped a lot and ride fine though I mainly do paved roads. I'd buy them again.

Quick Reply: I won't be buying Bilstein shocks again