Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
is that heater vent on the floor under the seats on both sides?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,684 Likes on 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
{{deletia}}

From doing that, I found a couple french fries, two quarters, and a few candy wrappers...

{{deletia}}

Jon

So your project has gone from an adventure to a money making business! Cool!!!!

Last edited by BassFantasizer; 01-12-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Formatting deleted some text
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
So your project has gone from an adventure to a money making business! Cool!!!!

And puts food on the table!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, I believe it's a floor vent for the second row. Will find out more when I pull the carpet up.

Lol, I've probably found about $1.50 so far in change. Makes me think how much loose change was 'thrown out' in cash for clunkers!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i like your rigs!!! i noticed most excursion are cheaper in texas idk why but i want one

Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by 5.4T
man i like your rigs!!! i noticed most excursion are cheaper in texas idk why but i want one
Thanks! You have a very nice truck as well. My family leased two Navigators two years apart back in the day. Man those were nice. I've tried to Navigatorize my Ex's quite a bit to simulate what I remember growing up with.

Speaking of which, I've been throwing an idea around in my head for my next mod. Do you have the rear captain chairs and console in your Navigator? I'm in need of some rough dimensions of the console, thinking I'd like to add it to the second row of the Excursion to give me a little more storage space. But I especially need a width to see if it would fit, then a height to see if it would clear the arm rests, and a length just to see how far back it would go. I think it would need a little modding since the Ex has the floor to the 3rd row even with the rest, but I think the Nav had the 3rd row raised and the console butting right up against it. It's getting harder and harder to find these Nav's out there, so finding one to get some dimensions off of, like at a dealer, is pretty difficult.

That's surprising that they were cheaper in Texas, I would have thought otherwise. Relatively rust free, cherished by many owners, etc. I bet there's quite a few down there though.

Jon

Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow
My father can get 18mpg on the highway in his 7.3L super duty and that is with 4.10 gears so with lower gears and a light foot it could be possible. Remember though, those things are called lie-o-meters for a reason.
Oh yeah, they sure aren't accurate. The one on my V10 is consistently 0.5-1.0 MPG over what I actually get. I think if I were to ride it harder to get worse mileage, it might be a little closer to the truth.

I'm not expecting this much on the PSD without really working at it, but it tells me that things seem to be working properly and it shouldn't have any major issues (alignment, injectors, engine component putting strain on engine, etc.).

IIRC, it had been running for maybe 5 minutes before I even looked at the TC. I had been concerned with watching the dash for lights and watching the engine for any potential fires/issues. By the time I removed the overhead console after some idling time and a small amount of moving back and forth, I think it was reading like 20.1 or 20.2. It had 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it too, so it was probably reading higher without too many starts on it to bring the numbers down. Of course this caused it to drop quicker too.

I hate to wonder what it might have been at after I did those boosted launches with the overhead removed...

Old 01-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
I was just thinking, I forgot to mention earlier that I had a message on the phone today from IAA Indianapolis. She got my title issue resolved and will be sending the clear title to me free of charge.

I tried the Autocheck report tonight for kicks & giggles just to see if it would show up again, and it won't. So I'm not sure if that salvage record will permanently show on it even though it was a DMV error. Not that it matters, I'd just like to stare at the Autocheck report every now and then.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
copracr
Mountain Pass
Great thread Sunline Fan, i'm doing a swap like yours as well. I'm putting an early 99 F250 7.3l into a 2000 V10 Ex. I can add that your v10 trans wont bolt up to your 7.3l but most of the internals are the same, keep it for the rebuild. The wiring is the most fun. The under hood 7.3l harness can be used but you will be re-pinning those 3 big plugs at the firewall. I find that to be easier than pulli ng and rewiring a dash but it depends on how comfortable you are with wiring diagrams.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by copracr
Great thread Sunline Fan, i'm doing a swap like yours as well. I'm putting an early 99 F250 7.3l into a 2000 V10 Ex. I can add that your v10 trans wont bolt up to your 7.3l but most of the internals are the same, keep it for the rebuild. The wiring is the most fun. The under hood 7.3l harness can be used but you will be re-pinning those 3 big plugs at the firewall. I find that to be easier than pulli ng and rewiring a dash but it depends on how comfortable you are with wiring diagrams.
Ooh, I thought I was venturing into uncharted territory here. Glad to hear someone else has done/is doing it.

Yeah, I kinda expected the wiring to be the most fun. I'm not sure what you mean by re-pinning the big plugs, but granted I don't have the V10 apart yet to see what I'm up against.

I'm expecting/hoping that most of the dash harness plugs will be the same going into the fuse box and hopefully just a couple will have to change. Those are the ones I want to change.

I'm sure the dash will have to come out in order to get to that stuff, but I don't want to re-wire the whole interior. I'm hoping like HVAC, radio, etc. will all have the same plugs, especially since the two vehicles are equipped exactly the same equipment wise. If I do have to tear the whole interior apart, I'll probably forget the swap, sell the parts, and go into a corner to cry

I'm planning to use the PSD trans right now as it is. Just change the fluid and see how long I can get out of it. I knew the two wouldn't bolt up, but is there a bell housing that can be removed and swapped? Or is it just the valve body that's common?

I do have one critical question that has us all scratching our heads. Did you find a way to get the engine in/out without damaging the cowl metal lip? The 7.3 rear lift point is so far back that there's really no way we found that the chain wouldn't somehow damage the cowl. Not a big deal for the wreck, but I'd like to not do damage going into the new one.

I do have a 2005 Excursion wiring diagram book that I hope will be helpful for determining what a lot of the wires are. Can't say I'm real comfortable changing plugs though, but if I really knew what each wire was, I guess I wouldn't be too worried.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:40 PM
copracr
Mountain Pass
Total guess on my part, but i'd assume the plugs would be different on the dash stuff - just like your seats were different.

The transmission cases are different, but all the internals are supposed to be the same or at least interchangeable.

I cant help with pulling the engine, i pulled the cab. I have an engine sitting on a frame sitting on jack stands in my driveway

Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Thanks! You have a very nice truck as well. My family leased two Navigators two years apart back in the day. Man those were nice. I've tried to Navigatorize my Ex's quite a bit to simulate what I remember growing up with.

Speaking of which, I've been throwing an idea around in my head for my next mod. Do you have the rear captain chairs and console in your Navigator? I'm in need of some rough dimensions of the console, thinking I'd like to add it to the second row of the Excursion to give me a little more storage space. But I especially need a width to see if it would fit, then a height to see if it would clear the arm rests, and a length just to see how far back it would go. I think it would need a little modding since the Ex has the floor to the 3rd row even with the rest, but I think the Nav had the 3rd row raised and the console butting right up against it. It's getting harder and harder to find these Nav's out there, so finding one to get some dimensions off of, like at a dealer, is pretty difficult.

That's surprising that they were cheaper in Texas, I would have thought otherwise. Relatively rust free, cherished by many owners, etc. I bet there's quite a few down there though.

Jon
Just get a center console from a Super Duty or even the console you pulled from the wrecked Excursion. If you didn't already know, the Super Duty was offered with captain chairs in the back up until 2010. It had a center console in between the seats.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
Just get a center console from a Super Duty or even the console you pulled from the wrecked Excursion. If you didn't already know, the Super Duty was offered with captain chairs in the back up until 2010. It had a center console in between the seats.
Thanks! I completely forgot about the SD rear captains.

I sold the one from the wreck already, so that isn't an option. Plus, the dark tan plastic and non-cherry top really wouldn't go as well in the Pebble/Cherry interior.

I'll have to look around for a rear SD console...

Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by copracr
Total guess on my part, but i'd assume the plugs would be different on the dash stuff - just like your seats were different.

The transmission cases are different, but all the internals are supposed to be the same or at least interchangeable.

I cant help with pulling the engine, i pulled the cab. I have an engine sitting on a frame sitting on jack stands in my driveway
Seat plugs were different between two '02s- the wreck had heated seats, my black one does not. I'm planning the swap for the '05, which has heated seats as well.

Did you/will you pull the Excursion body too?

Quick Reply: 7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion