Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 powerstroke parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
97 powerstroke parking brake

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 97 psd. About a month and a half ago. Its a zf 5spd. With drum rears. I noted that my parking brake doesn't work even a little bit, on any kind of incline the truck will roll. So this has been a battle for a couple weeks me trying to fix it, thinking I did it and buttoning it up and then finding out thats not the case.

Well tonight I found that my parking brake adjuster cable (the one with the spring in the end of the cable that runs from the top of the drum to the bottom) wasn't connected properly. I routed it correctly and hooked it up. I then moved on to my tension equalizer and noted that my version is different very slightly than the chiltons picture, (likely year difference or type difference, or the PO mis hooked mine.

Anyway I went ahead and adjusted the nut on the bar 2 and 3/8 like it suggested for initial. I noted as I got tighter my bar started angling, as in instead of being directly up and down the lower end would go left and the upper end would be lagging behind. First and foremost, is this how it should work?

Second, where would you suggest looking after this? My park brake pedal works firm and releases good, I'm afraid if I go much more than 2.5 inches total on my equalizer rod I am going to break something. I've got the star adjuster in the wheels adjusted as best as I can get them where I am not getting anymore turn on them, what should that be a sign of? If I followed directions correctly I put my screwdriver on the lowest tooth and pulled the handle downward which should expand the shoes.

I would appreciate any and all help here. I may send it to my mech, but I'd rather not do that as I like working on stuff.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That equalizer just pulls on both cables, equally. The fact that it is going crooked, means one rear brake is farther out of adjustment or the cable is stretched?

Best way to test brake adjustment is jack the wheel up and try to turn it. It should just drag on brakes as you turn it with your hand. Set the brake and then see if it locks the wheel. Do the same for both sides, as that will determine if it is working correctly.

Sounds like maybe someone did a brake job and has something assembled wrong? Most rear drum brakes are pretty common with the way they are put together. Did you compare yours with the picture in the Chilton book? I've always done one side at a time, that way if you forget something you can look at the other side.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:53 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the star wheel locked, and the wheels still turn, you went the wrong way. Jack the rear up. put the truck in N, and roll the tire over while adjusting the star wheel. When you hear the shoes start scrubbing on the drums, stop, and go push the brake pedal. go back and turn the wheel, and star wheel a bit more, until you hear the shoes again.