1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Such a thing as short n long box 48 F1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Pete,
You asked me how long it took us to get our truck to look as pictured - It will be two years in May. There is no secret to getting the trucks to the almost finished status other than to take the easiest/shortest path.
Example:
o Initially your concern was the placement of the rear wheels vs. the fenders. So - As Blue Oval (Joe) suggested above move your rear axle back a bit & reattach it to the frame. Or replace the back axle in the process with a newer rear axle from an Explorer or F150 & get disc brakes as well. ($125).

o Your truck like mine has been adjusted quite a bit by previous owners so no matching #'s full restoration is in the cards - Build yourself a nice truck the way you like it.

o A decent cab with solid floor, cab corners & doors will save you 6
months. So... Your cab looks great - It's a 1950 F1 & so is the bed so
that's what you have. Go get some new after market F1 running
boards & you are well on your way.

o If you want beautiful smooth fenders - fiberglass reproductions are
affordable & you will save months of sanding & body work. (I didn't
have much choice mine were all bondo).

o To change the front clip or not - hmmm.. It looks fine - save your cash
for a nice Mustang II front suspension.

I think you have a great start on a very nice truck. You can tweak the back axle a bit & put on some running boards & be ready for the drivetrain. Just some free thoughts on a quiet night down here in Texas. Have fun with it.

Ben in Austin

Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
That doesn't sound right at all to me either. What I have seen done many times is to cut the rivets out that attach the cast steel hangers to the frame and relocate them forward or backward on the frame rails to reposition the axle and springs as an assembly. Just drill new holes and reattach with grade 8 bolts and nuts. Much safer and ultimately less work!
That certainly would be easier and probably less costly. Thanks.

I have to decide how far I want to go on this first go round. Right now I'm just trying to get it into a safe condition so that I can drive it on the road. Eventually I would like to get it into the condition that I see many of you have reached. That means frame off or replacement frame as 51PM suggested.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Pete,
You asked me how long it took us to get our truck to look as pictured - It will be two years in May. There is no secret to getting the trucks to the almost finished status other than to take the easiest/shortest path.
Example:
o Initially your concern was the placement of the rear wheels vs. the fenders. So - As Blue Oval (Joe) suggested above move your rear axle back a bit & reattach it to the frame. Or replace the back axle in the process with a newer rear axle from an Explorer or F150 & get disc brakes as well. ($125).

o Your truck like mine has been adjusted quite a bit by previous owners so no matching #'s full restoration is in the cards - Build yourself a nice truck the way you like it.

o A decent cab with solid floor, cab corners & doors will save you 6
months. So... Your cab looks great - It's a 1950 F1 & so is the bed so
that's what you have. Go get some new after market F1 running
boards & you are well on your way.

o If you want beautiful smooth fenders - fiberglass reproductions are
affordable & you will save months of sanding & body work. (I didn't
have much choice mine were all bondo).

o To change the front clip or not - hmmm.. It looks fine - save your cash
for a nice Mustang II front suspension.

I think you have a great start on a very nice truck. You can tweak the back axle a bit & put on some running boards & be ready for the drivetrain. Just some free thoughts on a quiet night down here in Texas. Have fun with it.

Ben in Austin
Thanks Ben. The previous POs did a lot of work on it to get it looking halfway descent . . . well maybe a quarter way descent. There is some work that needs done to the front corners of the cab. Also the floor, although solid, has a lot of patches screwed or riveted in place with a few minor holes. Structurally it is sound so I'll patch it. Later with the cab off the frame I can do a first class job by replacing panels. Meanwhile I just want to drive it.

Yes, an nice IFS would enhance the drive wouldn't it.

Thanks,

Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Pete,
My truck looked like this 6 months ago - Keep the faith - get some forward momentum going & keep doing something every week & you'll get there in no time.

Ben in Austin

(We spent a week around Ann Arbor last summer - Michigan is a beautiful state).

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Pete,
My truck looked like this 6 months ago - Keep the faith - get some forward momentum going & keep doing something every week & you'll get there in no time.

Ben in Austin

(We spent a week around Ann Arbor last summer - Michigan is a beautiful state).
Is that a 55 T-bird in the pic?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Joe,
I believe it is a '55 - too bad it's not mine - project car over at the
paint shop doing our F1.

Ben in Austin

Old 09-21-2014, 07:55 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I may have a 48-50 ashtray in my pile of parts.
Denny, Did you ever find that ashtray? I have the 51-52 that I would trade or straight out buy it from you.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:22 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
It looked to me as the box was still sitting back too far, and could be moved forward a smidge. Combine that with moving the fender forward an inch or so and you'll have everything looking pretty close to normal.
Thanks Wayne. That was a good solution. I finally got around to moving the fenders forward 2.5". That was much easier than adding a section back into the frame.

Before

After

I finally got the cab off yesterday with some help from John (Deere). That part of the frame has not seen direct sunlight in 64 years. But it is still in good shape. It just needs cleaned up and painted.