1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

TBird SC motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, here's my $0.02 (American, so idk if they accept it in Canada..lol)

GO WITH THE SC POWERTRAIN! In fact, if it were me, I would be busy trying to figure out how to set the truck body down onto the S/C chassis.... But I am the nutcase thats putting a 56 on a complete 92 CV chassis, so you see how twisted my opinion is.

Seriously though, I think the S/C engine would be great! You keep FoMoCo power, and it's not like you're gonna see another one at a show/cruise-in every week.. Whatever you choose, just keep a Ford in your Ford... but my vote is for the Blown 3.8L

Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by maverickman514

GO WITH THE SC POWERTRAIN! In fact, if it were me, I would be busy trying to figure out how to set the truck body down onto the S/C chassis.... But I am the nutcase thats putting a 56 on a complete 92 CV chassis, so you see how twisted my opinion is.
The T-bird's are unibody not full frame. That would make for a tricky build.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
The T-bird's are unibody not full frame. That would make for a tricky build.
A while back (a year or so) there was a 56 in a magazine that was grafted onto a full MARK VIII chassis (basically same MN12 platform). Not that is was easy by any means, but it could be done. I have a torch and a welder, anything is possible! lol

Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
It would be much simpler just grafting the parts onto the stock frame. Trying to use the unibody is like spending $5.00 to save a nickle!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
It would be much simpler just grafting the parts onto the stock frame. Trying to use the unibody is like spending $5.00 to save a nickle!
agreed.. but imagine a supercharged, 4 wheel independent suspension, F1... but the track width is WAYYYYYY wider for the Tbird than the F1, I would imagine.... but I have been wrong before.. lol

Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by maverickman514
agreed.. but imagine a supercharged, 4 wheel independent suspension, F1... but the track width is WAYYYYYY wider for the Tbird than the F1, I would imagine.... but I have been wrong before.. lol
Yea but you can get all the same stuff by mounting the 4 wheel independent suspension and the engine and drivetrain to the stock F1 frame.

I have no clue on the track width or wheelbase of the T-birds. But I can't see them being wider then a Crown vic. If the Crown vic suspension is useable for a F100, then the T-bird track width should be close on the F1's. But without having both of them in front of me and a tape measure in hand I'm not sure.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Drewsc
Junior User
Wow, thanks for the replies. I'm really suprised that the sc motor is taken as well as it has. I thought I would get kicked out by the thought of it!

Drew

Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the SC engine would be really cool

Old 01-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Jim 54 panel
Junior User
Track on the Mark VIII works

I'm considering for a Mark VIII donor for my 54 panel. According to what I can find, the Front/rear track of the F-100 is 60.6/62 and the Mark (I assume the TBird and Cougar are similar) is 61.6/60.2. An inch wider up front and 1.8 narrower in back doesn't seem like a problem. The later CV's are showing 63.4 in front.

The only info I don't have is whether the crossmember from the Mark will fit as nicely as the CV one does on a stock frame. Any info there?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Just remember the cougar/T-bird and I believe the MK VIII will all require some kind of strut tower.

The is CV suspension is all built in to it's crossmember except the rear mounts on the lower control arms. That's what makes it so easy to install.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Drewsc
Junior User
Hey guy's, sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm getting ready to mount my motor hopefully in the next week or so. I'm still torn between the SC 3.8 supercharged and the markviii 4.6. I have both just cant decide which I want more. Cool V8 or buzzy V6.
I kind of feel that a truck like this should have a v8 sound unless it came with the 6 then its a different story but I really like the old 3.8's.
If anyone has any last opinions to convince me either way I would love to hear em. Basically if you were to open the hood what would be more interesting? supercharged V6 or DOHC V8.
Thank you
Drew

Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Drewsc
Hey guy's, sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm getting ready to mount my motor hopefully in the next week or so. I'm still torn between the SC 3.8 supercharged and the markviii 4.6. I have both just cant decide which I want more. Cool V8 or buzzy V6.
I kind of feel that a truck like this should have a v8 sound unless it came with the 6 then its a different story but I really like the old 3.8's.
If anyone has any last opinions to convince me either way I would love to hear em. Basically if you were to open the hood what would be more interesting? supercharged V6 or DOHC V8.
Thank you
Drew
The 4.6L DOHC is a big engine ( size wise, not displacement ) . It's going to be a tight fit in a 50.

The 3.8L would be a lot easier to fit.

But it's your truck you have to build it the way that's going to make you happy. They are both cool engines.

I know the solution to your problem! Build a second truck! That way you can run them both!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Drew I looked hard at that 3.6 too when I grabbed my 91 donor car. Dude even gave me a whole writeup on how to get max horsepower out of it. The only reason I didn't go with it was that it was it had high km's on it and when I looked at the price of rebuild kits for it compared to the 289 I just couldn't afford it. Otherwise that's what would have been in my 49. I say if the motor is decent then go for it. I still got the write up to if your interested.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the turbocharging idea, and it would be cool IMO. But that turbo stuff gets expensive quick! I money is no object, then turbo 3.8...aka weedeater on crack!
My Buick GN was awesome! sit at the stoplight next to any ricer or v8 or whatever...hold the brake, build about 5-8 lbs of boost...ease into the throttle until it is rolling...hammerdown...18 lbs of boost...alcohol injection spraying into the throttlebody...before you can blink twice...your neck muscles are feeling g-force!!! whiteknuckle grip...look thru the rear view to see what the reaction is!!!
LOL...It was a freakin blast!!! Then let off and hear the blowoff valve release the pressure....Nothing compares to it! Yes I like the sound of a V8. but I prefer the look of shock on the other guys face!!!
I couldn't keep it, I was gonna get in trouble, for sure...
Nicolle said it always made her sick to her stomach, because of it pushing her into the seat! Ok i will wipe the smile off my face and shut up now.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you guys remember , dave boley is building a 53 on an all wheel drive aerostar( ? ) chassis , using the irs from the donor sc , as well as the 3.8 from it . he's using a full size truck (f150) mazda built 5 speed hooked to the transfer case and swapping the sc internals from it's trans into the truck trans as they are lo and behold the same dain thing just slight differences , but the internals interchange . haven't seen or heard from him here in a long while , and his websight darksiders realm i haven't been over to for a very long time . i believe the aerostar has an ifs under it but is all wheel drive so .... if you can dream it , you can build it ! bye the way the sc block and heads had thicker surfaces etc. to try and defeat the 3.8 families nasty reputation for popping head gaskets . personally after the trouble my wife's former new windstar gave us , i'll throw every 3,8 based engine i see into the nearest trash receptacle . they are crap .

Quick Reply: TBird SC motor