S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What tires do you have on your trucks for California

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have BFG A/T LT285/75R16 D's on my stock height X....they have been pretty good, and in 3k or some miles will have 50k on them. I didn't know at the time that BFG had a D and E in the same size, but the D's were ok...I did see some squishyness though when we'd tow.

The BFG's did great on the road, and in the desert. However since I'll be needing some new tires in the next few months I'll be looking into the Toyo M/T's same size as bens170....I have a friend from school who's mom works at Toyo so she said she's gonna see if I can use a discount her mom gets.

Whatever tires I get, will be wrapped around these, Method Race wheels Double Standard 17x8.5

Old 12-26-2011, 04:13 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Very cool steph!

Old 12-26-2011, 04:30 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Very cool steph!
ya, I can't wait until they come out, heard rumors of early 2012

Old 12-26-2011, 04:40 PM
bens170
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To lovestrucks
As stated by A/Ox4 Very cool Steph. You selected a beautiful set of rims for your Ford.
Ben

Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Beautiful looking rims.

Jim

Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by bens170
To lovestrucks
As stated by A/Ox4 Very cool Steph. You selected a beautiful set of rims for your Ford.
Ben
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Beautiful looking rims.

Jim
thanks, I can't wait to get these...hopefully looking at their pricing on their other rims, I'm hopefully looking at about $163 each.

What's your guys opinion of rims and tires?
Do you guys think it's good to get 5 rims/tires or just 4...and no spare?

I've heard some people say that it's easier to just buy another tire if one gets damaged, but I rather have 5 to always have a spare.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Yeah, I would lean towards getting a spare. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Jim

Old 12-27-2011, 01:27 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I dont carry a spare..My tire BARELY fits with the 4" exhaust. My winch was broken so I took the whole assembly off. Living in an urban area and having AAA saves me 90% of the time. But I want to start off roading more, and I will need to find a spare tire solution.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I wouldn't buy 5 custom rims. You just need a plain painted steel rim, and a cheaper tire that is roughly the same diameter as your running tires. A couple of inches smaller diameter is fine too, but put it on the front if you need to use it. You don't want mismatched diameters on the rear axle if you have limited slip.

This is what I do, and I recently had the misfortune to confirm that this works fine.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
bens170
Junior User
lovestrucks,
I myself would go with 4 tires and wheels, If the spare is not a space saver tire and wheel go with another tire the same size you are running on the ground for the spare. Also stamped on the wheel is the size and the weight capability. On the sidewalls of the tires is the maximum load capability. On my truck which is a one ton dually I am going to be purchasing 7 tires. My spare is the original Continental LT245/75R-17 tire which will not support the 37 inch procomps. I hope this helps. Have a Happy and Safe New Year.
Ben

Old 12-27-2011, 01:38 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My tire preferrences change from vehicle to vehicle. Ford my Expedition with a spindle lift and limited slip (2WD), I ran 285/75R16D BFGoodrich A/T KO's. I absolutely LOVED those tires! I did a lot of off pavement driving and they performed flawlessly in mud, dirt, and I never needed chains in snow (on or off road). I didn't do anything extreme but I did go places I shouldn't have gone in a 2WD w/o worries. The tires also last a really long time, they're just expensive. I was looking at a set for my diesel too.
On my current truck I'm looking at a set of Continental CrossContact LX's. This truck is 2WD with an open rear end so I'm not taking it off roading any time soon, and I can just carry chains when I go to the mountains. I'm sticking with the stock 235/85R16E's. I currently have BFGoodrich Commercials in front and Firestone's in the back that will wear out soon. The Continentals I'm looking at are really cheap yet I keep reading good things about them; good wear, good mileage.

A tire I do not recommend is the Falken Ziex street tires. I had a set on my Expedition that delaminated over 80% of the tread which turned into a whip at 70 mph and destroyed my quarterpanel. This happened before the warranty was up and was a few thousand miles under the garantee but Falken said they wore past the wear bars.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Yeah, I would lean towards getting a spare. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Jim
ya....I've definitely seen that a spare can be a life saver haha one bad trip to ocotillo, blew one tire and bent another rim...used the spare and had to heat the other to bang it back into driveable shape to get back home

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
I dont carry a spare..My tire BARELY fits with the 4" exhaust. My winch was broken so I took the whole assembly off. Living in an urban area and having AAA saves me 90% of the time. But I want to start off roading more, and I will need to find a spare tire solution.
ya I got AAA...my card says I've been a member for 47 years(under my mom who went under my grandma haha)

you should get the tire gate

Originally Posted by bpounds
I wouldn't buy 5 custom rims. You just need a plain painted steel rim, and a cheaper tire that is roughly the same diameter as your running tires. A couple of inches smaller diameter is fine too, but put it on the front if you need to use it. You don't want mismatched diameters on the rear axle if you have limited slip.

This is what I do, and I recently had the misfortune to confirm that this works fine.
These aren't custom rims, and since they are 17x8.5 they are only $163 instead of the 18x9 I was at first considering for $202...could basically get 5 for a little more than the 4 18's

Plus I only got 285's and want to go up to 34ish's....pretty sure it'll still fit in the stock spare location on the X

lovestrucks,
I myself would go with 4 tires and wheels, If the spare is not a space saver tire and wheel go with another tire the same size you are running on the ground for the spare. Also stamped on the wheel is the size and the weight capability. On the sidewalls of the tires is the maximum load capability. On my truck which is a one ton dually I am going to be purchasing 7 tires. My spare is the original Continental LT245/75R-17 tire which will not support the 37 inch procomps. I hope this helps. Have a Happy and Safe New Year.
Ben
Hhmm I'm leaning more and more to 5

Old 12-29-2011, 12:43 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by lovestrucks
ya I got AAA...my card says I've been a member for 47 years(under my mom who went under my grandma haha)

you should get the tire gate
Tire gate? Elaborate lol

Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 AM
bens170
Junior User
To A/Ox4
I don't want to sound dumb what is a tire gate?
Ben

Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

To A/Ox4
I don't want to sound dumb what is a tire gate?
Ben
My question exactly. I think its like whats on the back of an Excursion that holds a spare.

Edit: http://www.tiregate.com/applications_0.shtml

Quick Reply: What tires do you have on your trucks for California